The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

• Awards Moderator

Hey guys, can anyone point me in the direction of a simple project management app for iPhone? Dont need, and absolutely dont want anything complex, just something I can add a task to, and update its status to help me keep track of jobs on the go?

Trello is always the right answer. Brilliant app / website.

I know people have asked for a good, affordable Android in here and I've got a recommendation - Samsung Core Prime. It's about £80. Stick an EE PAYG sim in and you can get unlimited texts, 500mb and 150 minutes for £10 a month. It's clearly far from a top end phone but I've been seriously impressed considering it's less than £100. Got it as a temp phone but I'll be n no rush to replace it.

• Moderators

So, after a while I would like to change my review of the J5. It's a piece of shit, because the bluetooth on it is so terrible. Fuck this phone. I am probably going to get a new one, and then keep this as my backup.

Also, relevant to earlier discussion, I will get a phone that is compatible with Cyanogenmod next because I'm sick of bullshit bloatware.

So, after a while I would like to change my review of the J5. It's a piece of shit, because the bluetooth on it is so terrible. Fuck this phone. I am probably going to get a new one, and then keep this as my backup.

Also, relevant to earlier discussion, I will get a phone that is compatible with Cyanogenmod next because I'm sick of bullshit bloatware.

Sorry Chest. :(

• Moderators

No worries mate, I don't hold you responsible. I'm just annoyed because I have to use my bluetooth headset quite a lot for work when I'm working from home and it's really frustrating because it just fucks up for no reason at all intermittently.

I should probably get it checked out, but then I can't be arsed fucking about with not having a phone or having to go back to my other shitty backup and all the tedious bollocks that accompanies doing that.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I am looking for recommendations for a phone for someone for their birthday next week.

£100-£150 price range, brought from the high street, pay as you go, able to play all the latest games, good size screen & resolution to watch videos on, and a good camera(if possible).

• 2 weeks later...

If you're planning on getting a new phone anytime soon avoid the Sony Xperia Z5 range like the plague.

The specifications of the phone are at high level which is what drew me in to getting a Z5, the camera destroys anything close to competition but that's as good as it gets. Within 36 hours of having the Z5, the screen went and when I took it back they had none in stock at the store I got it from, I was offered a pee yellow colour of the model from another store by the next day but I passed on that. As a replacement whilst a new Z5 was being delivered, I was given the Z5 compact, pretty much the same as the normal Z5 but for smaller hands.

Combined with Android 5.1 it is a massive massive MASSIVE bag of shit. Google's insistence on being a spy to take every detail/piece of information off you is so blatant I'm surprised the phone didn't come with a starter app that asks for everything before you can use it. (I shouldn't be giving them ideas...) I had to jump through hoops just to get out of being permanently logged in/tracked and even then it still synced mostly everything even when it was asked not and I'd checked the options list for it twice over. Compared to previous Sony/Android phones the options are severely limited/restricted.

To top it all, the music player/speaker system doesn't cut out/mute when head-phones are plugged in so everybody within a 5-10 metre range can hear what your listening to or conversation. The same happens with a bluetooth headset as well. Despite looking through all the options and obvious fixes as well as the Sony forums/helpline, there is no full on fix. Either a restart/disabling apps sorts it out or in my case hasn't.

TL;DR Summary: The Sony Xperia Z5 range is very bad, do not waste any time with them.

Edited by Rule One

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So, anyone got any essential apps lately? Good one for me is ScannerforMe. You take a pic of a document and it converts it into a .pdf. Very handy if you don't have a scanner and need to forward documents on to a potential employer without having to go cap in hand to your ex wife who booted you out some months ago.

• Awards Moderator

So, anyone got any essential apps lately? Good one for me is ScannerforMe. You take a pic of a document and it converts it into a .pdf. Very handy if you don't have a scanner and need to forward documents on to a potential employer without having to go cap in hand to your ex wife who booted you out some months ago.

For Google peeps, Google Drive does this natively. In Drive click to add a new file and Scan is one of the options (it means take a photo). The OCR is very good on it.

My latest 'essential' app is Google's Duo. Like Facetime but doesn't give two shits what OS you're using. You just need their mobile number. Oh and Glympse - one click to share + track your location with family, friends, colleagues whoever. The best bit is setting a time frame such as "share for 20 mins".

• Awards Moderator

Simplicity for morons in your contact list. They don't need an account, they just need a mobile number (and the app obvs). And it's literally one press from opening the app to start video calling a contact.