The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

My mum's got a Galaxy note 4 or some similar Samsung phone, which she uses almost exclusively to receive photos and occasional messages on whatsapp. She finds the interface a bit tricky though, due to arthritis in her hands and just generally being old and uncomfortable with new technology. I've suggested a tablet might be better as they're bigger and hopefully a bit more intuitive, but she doesn't have wifi. She's currently on a data plan with Pop for £7.50 a month. I've looked into iPads but it all seems a bit vague - some of them are 3G/4G capable, some aren't. The ones that are, can you pop any old sim into them, or are they locked like phones? Anyone else have experience kitting out elderly relatives with iPads or similar?

• 2 weeks later...

So i'm not to sure if this is the right place to ask this (i'm not even sure what i'm asking tbh) but anyway..

So i'm on instgram a few months ago and i thought there's a model i follow who hasn't posted anything  in ages, quick search and her profile is gone, that explains it. A few days later i see her tagged in a photo, ahh she's back, I go to click on her profile and nothing, i log into another Insta account I have (i have a separate accounts for family pics) and i was able to see her page...so she's blocked me? Now I have never done anything more than like her pics, never commented or DM'ed. Anyway its bugged me for months, why on earth would this random model block me?

Anyway today i'm browsing my feed and i see a photgrapher post a pic of another photographers work who i also follow and i'm like i haven't seen them them post in a while...and their profile is gone, log into my private account and there is her profile. She to has blocked me????

I cannot stress enough how i NEVER comment on photos or DM. And it's really got me thinking, who else has blocked me? And i suppose my question does anybody know of any bugs/hackers that causes people to block you? I genuinely believe i have done nothing that could offend sombody to the point of blocking (likewise the stuff i post if very non offensive and usually just opinions on films and football)

Anybody have any thoughts/similar experiences?

The thought I always keep when I get blocked is "What people do on their own social media page and how they run it is none of my business".  It's a bit concerning that you're asking about bugs and hackers, maybe they blocked you and they don't owe you an explanation.  Have any male models / photographers blocked you that you know of?

On Twitter there are things that block lists of people, maybe you were added to something like that?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Moderators

I was recently very gutted when Google decided to retire Inbox. The interface and functionality was so much better than gmail. This led me to go look for a new mail app. 

I found Spark and it's really good! Not quite as intelligent and slick as inbox was but loads better than any other apps I've tried and has a good level of customisation.

If anyone else is looking for a better workflow tool for managing their email on mobile I suggest checking it out.

I haven't looked for a decent desktop mail client yet so if anyone has any recommendations on that front they would be welcome.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• 2 months later...
  • Awards Moderator
Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

How much are you looking to spend? You can get a refurbished s7 for around £150, which might end up actually being your phone that was nicked.

+1 for this. I've bought refurbished for years and I'm never disappointed. I use Music Magpie most of the time.