The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

My iPhone 5s has really been playing up on and off the past 3 weeks. Throwing me out of apps constantly and freezing when using Facebook/Twitter/Messenger. Occasionally rebooting itself too. It seems to be okay some of the time and then after a few days does it again. It's extremely frustrating. Is this linked to the last update or something?

Apologies for being a little bit vague but I'm not that clued up on these things.

Probably of interest to only a few, but Ninja Tune, the record label, have released this real fun app that allows you to have a go at remixing. There are three free sets of sounds and you can pay for others. Loving the Coldcut beats!

http://www.ninjajamm.com

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone know if it's worth getting Cyanogenmod still? I got my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) from a mate who was upgrading to an S6, so there's no warranty to worry about. 

Main reason I'm considering getting it is to be able to get rid of all the bloatware bundled with the phone, but I was told it's just better overall, operationally speaking. Anyone got enough experience of it to kindly give me a run-down of its pros and cons?

• Paid Members

Having now owned two of their phones, I’d recommend getting a Xiaomi phone to anyone who’s an Android user. They don’t directly do business in Europe but they’re the biggest manufacturer in India and China where they have an Apple store like presence.

I got their Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 phone for £110, from Gearbest, after previously owning the original version and it’s one of the best phones I’ve ever owned. I got the 32gb model which has a massive 5.5 inch 1080p screen, very good battery, a quad 2.2ghz processor and 2gb of ram.

http://m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_229219.html

I’d never go back to a similar spec android phone that winds up costing you more than £500 over the course of a contact - Of course some will reasonably balk at the idea of buying a phone from China, but if you’re interested, look them up. I got mine in 2 weeks from Gearbest, who I’d trust as a seller - although worth noting some people have bought from other sellers and the phone has came with weird Chinese apps on. That can always be fixed though by installing a new ROM on the phone in a few steps, although people's comfort with doing that will vary.

Edited by Benno

• Moderators

Anyone know if it's worth getting Cyanogenmod still? I got my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) from a mate who was upgrading to an S6, so there's no warranty to worry about.

Main reason I'm considering getting it is to be able to get rid of all the bloatware bundled with the phone, but I was told it's just better overall, operationally speaking. Anyone got enough experience of it to kindly give me a run-down of its pros and cons?

My brother is a security freak and he uses it. He loves it.

I don't know that much about it though, sorry.

Personally I am running an Honor 7 now made by Huawei, they are like ZTE in the fact that they made budget phones for the networks for ages and then finally started doing stuff for themselves. You can only buy the phone from their online shop or Three stores at the moment but for the £250 price tag its an amazing piece of kit and well worth the money. It has the fastest fingerprint reader on a phone aswell as a 20MP Sony Exmor sensor and a saphire anti scratch coating on the lens.

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_7-7269.php

Edited by The Four Horsemen

• Paid Members

My brother is a security freak and he uses it. He loves it.

I don't know that much about it though, sorry.

It's cool - that's a useful little bit of info anyway. Thanks.

• Paid Members

Can anyone recommend apps for the following (Google Play as I have a Samsung S4) -

• I download Audiobooks from Youtube as an mp3 and listen to them through my phones built in music player. The downside is more often then not my phone "forgets" at what point I got to in the book, so every time I want to listen to a bit more I need to try and get to a certain minute of the book (eg 3hrs 5mins etc). The trouble with that is its almost impossible to get to exactly the right point - the phone screen is so small, and the books are so long, getting to a specific minute is impossible. Im lucky if I can get within two or three minutes of where I last finished.
    Is there a music player app which either a) never forgets where you are in a "song" or b) you can type in what minute of the "song" you want to start listening from?

• A diary app, very simple, but a diary in the sense of what a teenager would scribble down in a book every night, NOT a diary to write down dentist appointments and stuff

Cheers!

• 1 month later...