The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

So, in my efforts to learn Spanish I have been doing all kinds of things, from books, to Skype language exchanges (I teach someone English, they teach me Spanish) and changing my iPhone into Spanish language to force me to learn certain thing, and now this here app. It's called Duolingo, and it's pretty great.

It's free and, for anybody just looking to get a start in a language, I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.duolingo.com/

Glad I stumbled into this thread. I'm enjoying that Duolingo. So much so that I'd turned GTA on and turned it off as I was engrossed in this.

The only things I'd say so far are that the speech can be too forgiving, to the point where I've only said one word of the sentence and it's accepted and that on one session it quizzed me on words that it hadn't yet introduced me to. Overall though, enjoying it so far. Those are minor quibbles that aren't very frequent at all.

J'adore Duolingo!

Took the update to iOS 7 on my phone today and have a bug where it always says there's 1 text waiting to be read in my messages. There's not, and obviously it doesn't harm me, but seeing that little red 1 next to the app is annoying the fucking shit out of me. Google was mostly useless with this particular query, anybody have any fixes? Thanks a lot.

Soft reset perhaps. Hold the power button and home button until you see the Apple logo. If you've Googled it, you've probably already tried it though.

Cheers, but yeah had already given that a bash. It's annoying me even more today, I think I'll drop in the Apple shop or O2 or something and get them to have a prod at it.

Soft reset perhaps. Hold the power button and home button until you see the Apple logo. If you've Googled it, you've probably already tried it though.

Cheers, but yeah had already given that a bash. It's annoying me even more today, I think I'll drop in the Apple shop or O2 or something and get them to have a prod at it.

Yeah, Apple shop will be your best bet then. O2 will likely redirect you there as Apple have the facilities to sort phones out. They like to be hands on so as to not give customers a shit experience from a novice fucking it up.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally upgraded this week, to a 5c, and it is a thing of beauty. The battery life seems excellent, and the process of getting everything from my old iPhone to the new one was piss-easy; it transferred all my preferences and even my wallpaper.

The new OS seems pretty swish as well, and the whole thing is really fast and slick. Even in a 3G area, it's really impressive. Can't wait to try 4g when I'm next in London.

Highly recommend - it's a lot cheaper than I expected as well.

• 1 month later...