The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

I reckon with a bit of training on the battery this phone could be awesome. Have it connected to Wifi when possible, check once every 30 mins for email and have mid brightness and it should do very nicely indeed thank you.

Exactly what I do with my Xperia S. Actually I have it just below mid brightness but it's perfectly fine. Anything above that is just too bright and having it on full would cause complaints of light pollution.

The only time the battery really zapps out is if I'm streaming a video. It obviously requires power for wifi as well as the video itself. But even then I've watched 2 hour films and still have around half the battery life left.

My biggest problem with the Xperia S is it's still running ICS, but it is supposed to be upgrading to JB very soon. Quite poor when you think this was Sony's flagship phone only a year ago and JB came out in July last year. I'm seriously considering cashing in on this phone and going for the Galaxy S4. The Xperia Z is also tempting but other than the version of Android it's running I can't see much difference between that and the one I have now.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Just got a Galaxy s4 and its the first decent phone I've had since literally flushing my HTC down the toilet 3 years ago (whoops). Any recommendations for podcast apps? I've always had a ipod for that kind of thing but its recently gone the way of the dodo.

• Paid Members
Just got a Galaxy s4 and its the first decent phone I've had since literally flushing my HTC down the toilet 3 years ago (whoops). Any recommendations for podcast apps? I've always had a ipod for that kind of thing but its recently gone the way of the dodo.

I got the Galaxy S4 last week too. I was a little shocked at how big the phone is compared to my iPhone, but I'm starting to get used to it now.

As far as podcasts go, I'm using Podkicker. Very easy to use and seems to support all the stuff I listen to (Steve Austin show, Live Audio Wrestling) so I'm happy with it.

• Paid Members

I got the Galaxy S4 last week too. I was a little shocked at how big the phone is compared to my iPhone, but I'm starting to get used to it now.

As far as podcasts go, I'm using Podkicker. Very easy to use and seems to support all the stuff I listen to (Steve Austin show, Live Audio Wrestling) so I'm happy with it.

Cheers I'll give Podkicker a go. My Wife has the s3 so I'm use to the size. Plus a big display is better for huge/clumsy fingers.

I'm just charging after letting the battery run dry for the first time. Any idea how long should I charge it initially?

Interesting write up. I'm used to the Walkman App now so that isn't going to be too much of a problem for me. You mentioned about using a 64gb SD card, but I'm sure I read that the highest SD card you can use is 32gb. Is that bollocks?

It's nice to get a perspective from someone who isn't used to the Sony phones. Have you used the S4 much at all? Is it really all that much different? Is the extra

I am using the s4 white at the moment for work. TBH the Z has it for me, the S4 has a lot of unneeded apps on it that drain the battery and cause lag.

I used a 64gb and had no issues at all.

Samsung IMO are fast becoming the Apple of the Android world, nothing outstanding and overpriced. Have you considered the HTC One?

Firstly the HTC one is a single aluminum unibody phone. 4.7 inch screen with a really good pair of double bass speakers that are both on the front of the phone, not placed on the back like many handsets (including the Z).

It also has an Ultrapixel camera, which works better than a mega pixel camera because it gives a better size and resolution of the pixels and therefore as many sites have reported in reviews they have done a much better quality picture.

It also has the new HTC sense 5 overlay on top of Android Jellybean, if you look on my site again there should be something about it.

Hope its helped you mate, and if your feeling generous then click on one of the Google Ads square in the posts and earn me some money from Google.