The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

I currently have a Nokia N8, and whilst I love the phone for it's camera (12mp) video recorder (720p HD) and Sat Nav (which is free and uses GPS. Although it's downfall is it takes while to find you before you can use it) I'm really not a fan of the Symbian software. It was OK to start with and the recent updates have sped things up, but it really isn't a widely recognised OS and doesn't get much support in terms of Apps and Games.

I'm looking to cash in whilst it's still worth doing so, and would like to replace it with a phone with the same features that I like the N8 for (camera, video & SatNav). I'm not a fan of the iPhone at all, so don't try and pimp that to me. Any recommendations?

It has to be the Samsung Galaxy S3. I have the S2 and it is amazing. A lot of people have said that it is better the Iphone. Never used an Iphone so I couldn't comment but it definitely should do everything you need.

I'm looking at the Sony Xperia S. 12mp camera, 1080p video and an Android phone. The only thing I don't know if it has is a SatNav. Can someone confirm if it does or doesn't? I believe it has GPS so I would imagine I can download a SatNav app if not.

Anyone got one of these or know of them for some feedback?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Contract is up this month. I'm either going to get an iPhone 4S or a Samsung Galaxy S3. Anyone favour either?

Some good contracts available with Three. Obviously heard the horror stories about their service but they claim to have the best coverage in the country and the best 3G coverage too. Anyone use them?

• Paid Members

I've been with 3 for nearly 10 years. As far as network coverage and 3G goes, they are pretty great. Customer service is pretty crap though, but then again, most providers seem to suffer this problem.

They do gave some great bundles and as far as I'm aware, are the only provider to offer completely unlimited Internet data.

Also, anyone using an iPhone that wants a half decent Sat Nav, look no further than SatNav 2. It's a great little system which I've been using for a few weeks without any problems. The best thing is that it costs

Edited by Silky Kisser

I've been with 3 for nearly 10 years. As far as network coverage and 3G goes, they are pretty great. Customer service is pretty crap though, but then again, most providers seem to suffer this problem.

They do gave some great bundles and as far as I'm aware, are the only provider to offer completely unlimited Internet data.

Also, anyone using an iPhone that wants a half decent Sat Nav, look no further than SatNav 2. It's a great little system which I've been using for a few weeks without any problems. The best thing is that it costs

• Paid Members
I went for the Galaxy on T-Mobile. Will regret not getting the iPhone I think!

Not sure why. A colleague of mine brought her S3 in and I was fucking blown away and IMO looked and played far superior to the iphone.

Not a chance, unless you like iTunes.

Zackly! I think the iPhone is decent, but there are plenty of alternatives that are just as good (if not better), cheaper and don't have the hassle of iTunes.

What was the thinking behind micro sim cards by the way? I've had my Sony Xperia S for a week, still sitting in the box waiting for the sim card cutter I ordered from ebay to turn up before I can fucking use it! The chip is the same size, was that extra 5mm of plastic really taking up that much room?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

For the first time in my life I have a decent phone (someone gave it to me). I wanted to get some games & shit but I was wondering about the permission you have to give these apps, if it wants to delete/change my SD card contents & stuff what does that mean? Is there anything I should look out for that's dodgy or is it all pretty legit? I don't want to sound paranoid but I'm clueless about this shit and don't want to give away more permission/info than I want to. Cheers