The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

I know at one point it wasn't possible to root 2.2 via unrevoked. Is this still the case? I have been trying and keep getting the 'is your firmware too new?' error message. I have tried factory reset, connecting for charge and as disk drive, I have installed and uninstalled HTC Synch, leaving the drivers. Still no luck. Any help? Wildfire, btw.

• Paid Members

I'm growing sick and tired of my iPhone solely down to the fact I have to use iTunes.

A good mate in the know has recommended me the Samsung Galaxy S II with Android, does it actually compare to the iPhone?

Should I wait a wee while before a newer version comes out?

I'm growing sick and tired of my iPhone solely down to the fact I have to use iTunes.

A good mate in the know has recommended me the Samsung Galaxy S II with Android, does it actually compare to the iPhone?

Should I wait a wee while before a newer version comes out?

I have the Galaxy S, which by internet comparison, is superior to the iPhone 4. The Galaxy S II is an incredible phone, very much likely to beat the iPhone 4 in all areas. The announcement of the new iOS was lackluster, due to it being about as good as Android 1.6, and the Galaxy S II runs Android 2.3. If your main complaint about the iPhone is the iTunes stuff, definitely go for Android. Plug it in, mass storage, and it just works. Better yet, there's no need to convert video to anything Apple demand, because it plays both MP4 and .AVI, which are, admittedly, the only ones I've tried.

This site might help

• Paid Members

Remember Barcode Battler? I found "Barcode Beasties" on the Android Apps Marketplace. Still pretty glitchy, but a load of fun. Scanned a sliced loaf and got a Werewolf.

EDIT: Best to download a proper barcode reader app, though - the game one is pony. If you get a decent one, you can scan QRs too.

Edited by Carbomb

has anyone played "Words with Friends" basically internet scrabble but you can put the game down and pick it up at any time quite fun 60p on android and app store i think

or here for android http://gliyo.com/8759

It was free when I downloaded it a while back. I got rid of it fairly quickly though. While its a great fun game, it eats battery life.

Here's a question for android smart phone owners. What do you use to view this forum? I use the web browser (dolphin is my browser of choice) when I do view the forum, but the default skin is a bit clunky for mobile use. I know IP do a mobile skin for their forums for better access on mobiles, but I don't think the Mods have enabled it.

I am finding my HTC Desire to be a great bit of kit. Got my G-Mail on the home sceen. Love the default built in web browser. The market is great and i am just getting to grips with Soundcloud.

• Paid Members
Remember Barcode Battler? I found "Barcode Beasties" on the Android Apps Marketplace. Still pretty glitchy, but a load of fun. Scanned a sliced loaf and got a Werewolf.

EDIT: Best to download a proper barcode reader app, though - the game one is pony. If you get a decent one, you can scan QRs too.

You star! This has made my evening.

You star! This has made my evening.

I got a ninja by scanning the smackdown 11 game...it got murdered by a giant octopus on the first hit...

Does anyone know how much it costs to unlock a phone? My Mrs. won a Samsung Galaxy Ace in a competition and as it's better than my first gen HTC Wildfire I'm nicking it, but I'm under contract to Virgin and as such need to put my sim in it.

Any advice would be appreciated..

Cheers!