The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

• Paid Members
I want to copy some .pdf's over to my HTC phone. Where should I put them so that Adobe Reader on the phone will be able to see them? Ta.

they went into my sd card, it seems to find them just fine

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Adobe Reader (and also MS Office reader programmes) scan your phone and SD card to find files that can be opened.

Never get a 2 year contract.

It does seem to be the norm these days.

Is it? Im on a 12 months contract on my iPhone4 and try to stick to 12 month deals, 18 months at a stretch amybe. Modern phones just arnt designed to last 2 years these days, and thats not even talking about the technology in them.

Is it? Im on a 12 months contract on my iPhone4 and try to stick to 12 month deals, 18 months at a stretch amybe. Modern phones just arnt designed to last 2 years these days, and thats not even talking about the technology in them.

But how much do you pay monthly and on what tariff? I'm not saying your wrong, but I am curious as I did originally want an iPhone 4.

But how much do you pay monthly and on what tariff? I'm not saying your wrong, but I am curious as I did originally want an iPhone 4.

Unfortunately the deals not as good anymore but I pay

Unfortunately the deals not as good anymore but I pay

There's a reason N8s are being given out with low end contracts, it's because no one wants them. Good cameras, nice screens and I quite like the Nokia GPS software. However, if you're used to an IOS device then Symbian will drive you mad.

Could you explain a little more on that, because I have no idea what they are really.

And in terms of apps and games, how does it compare? I have about 9 games on my iphone but really only play 2 or 3. And I have about 2 apps that I actually use.

There's a reason N8s are being given out with low end contracts, it's because no one wants them. Good cameras, nice screens and I quite like the Nokia GPS software. However, if you're used to an IOS device then Symbian will drive you mad.

Could you explain a little more on that, because I have no idea what they are really.

And in terms of apps and games, how does it compare? I have about 9 games on my iphone but really only play 2 or 3. And I have about 2 apps that I actually use.

IOS is the Apple operating system on the iPhone, iPod Touch etc. Symbian is the OS that some Nokia's use. Symbian wasn't designed from day one to be a touch OS so it's a bit clunky and inconsistent i.e. some things you tap once, others tap once to select and then again to make them work. It's ok, but it isn't as fluid as an IOS device. If you're used to that then it may annoy you. You can get Angry Birds for it. Nokia do have an app store, but it isn't up there with Apple's or Google's.

Personally I quite like Nokias but Symbian isn't to everyone's taste. Also going forward Nokia are going to be a WinPhone manufacturer, with Symbian being on their lower end products, hence all the phone operators wanting to offload existing Nokias.

Well I bit the bullet and I've had the phone since yesterday. I'm relatively please with it, and I've configured the icons so it's similar to my iPhone setup. Icons you only need to tap once now, that was something the reviewers were please with. Camera is fantastic and the HDMI is a nice little touch. Despite the quality screen, the internet doesn't look as sharp as the iPhone. And I'm having some issues with the Ovi Maps, it always seems to want to connect to the net for some reason despite it being GPS. I've not got the net as part of the deal so I don't want to be stung in the arse for net usage.

Texting is no different to the iPhone, although when you have the phone held in a portrait position you have to type using the old alphanumeric system (which suits my wife, but not me), but changing it to landscape brings up a keyboard so I'm happy to use it that way.

Some settings on the phone are hidden away and takes a little getting used to. But you can move folders around to suit.

I would say that compared to my iPhone 3G, it is a step up (and a huge step up for my wife who previously had an LG Cookie). Yes it has a few minor points but you can work around them. The good definitely out weighs the bad overall.

I'm currently using an HTC HD7, and I can't say enough good things about it. Can't offer much of a comparison as it's my first proper smartphone, but there's not a lot I can think of to fault it. The interface is pretty intuitive and cutomisable, the facebook/email integration is excellent, and it's very good for streaming vids. The main thing that I've been banging on to people about though, is the sound quality. It came with a decent set of phones, but more than that, I believe dolby did the software for it, and I've honestly never heard quality like it from a portable music player of any kind, let alone a phone.

The only negatives that spring to mind immediately are: It's BIG. Took a bit of getting used to. The Zune software (equivalent to itunes) is a bit clunky, but works just fine when you're used to it. And you can't really multitask or switch between apps, which admittedly is a big flaw, but which will be fixed in the software update coming later this year.