The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

Could someone please detail the benefits of having my iPhone jailbroken. It's something I've considered but not knowing the process, the pros and the cons then I'm not really in a position to give it any further thought.

I have an iPhone 3G on software version 4.2.1. What I would like to know, can this version be jailbroken, what additional things will be available to me, is it a pain to maintain (i.e. will iTunes always detect it, try to update the software etc) and how do I go about doing it?

Any info appreciated.

• Paid Members

Got the iPhone up and running. Installed i-tunes, I don't think it's very user friendly.

I have managed to import my music and photos over via i-tunes but I can't seem to do it with any of my avi and mpg files. There are only options to import Films and TV Shows and none of my stuff shows up here. Can anyone help please?

I gotta say I love the Phone itself. I love the touch screen scrolling, theres no lag what so ever, feels lovely. the web browsing is a joy too, so easy.

Got the iPhone up and running. Installed i-tunes, I don't think it's very user friendly.

I have managed to import my music and photos over via i-tunes but I can't seem to do it with any of my avi and mpg files. There are only options to import Films and TV Shows and none of my stuff shows up here. Can anyone help please?

I gotta say I love the Phone itself. I love the touch screen scrolling, theres no lag what so ever, feels lovely. the web browsing is a joy too, so easy.

You'll get used to iTunes and hopefully find a few of the shortcuts that makes it more user friendly. With the videos, use that software I linked you to in my previous post. That will convert all video types so that it plays on your iPhone.

• Paid Members

You'll get used to iTunes and hopefully find a few of the shortcuts that makes it more user friendly. With the videos, use that software I linked you to in my previous post. That will convert all video types so that it plays on your iPhone.

Thanks again, will download that tonight and have a look.

I haven't ventured into this thread for ages, but I need a new phone. I've been looking around for something cheap(ish) that I can get Pay as you Go.

I've looked at the Sony Ericsson X8, its an Android Smart Phone and I'd been using the Sony Ericsson X10 mini pro for a week and a half now (A loan from my mum). I've read the odd review online and apart from a bigger screen, better battery life it seems to be almost identical to the mini pro. Other than the exclusion of the slide out keyboard, anyone else recommend or have any thoughts on the X8?

Edited by Koconutz

Thanks again, will download that tonight and have a look.

It's a cracking bit of software. The conversion of a youtube video to mp3 in particular has been very useful for those tracks that are hard to come by. I hope it serves you as well as it has served me.

I downloaded a bunch of apps for my Iphone 3GS yesterday, and I think I've come to the limit. I didn't know there was a limit, is that the case. I think I've got 11 pages of apps, or just stuff saved to the homepage (websites etc). Anyway of increasing?

I haven't bothered putting music on it, as I have an ipod, so that should leave plenty of space for videos. Apps seem to take up a fair chuck of space too.

There are some great apps and features which I've found though.

I downloaded a bunch of apps for my Iphone 3GS yesterday, and I think I've come to the limit. I didn't know there was a limit, is that the case. I think I've got 11 pages of apps, or just stuff saved to the homepage (websites etc). Anyway of increasing?

I haven't bothered putting music on it, as I have an ipod, so that should leave plenty of space for videos. Apps seem to take up a fair chuck of space too.

There are some great apps and features which I've found though.

Unless the iphone is jailbreaked then 11 pages is the limit you can have.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had an iphone 3G for about a year now and until recently I never had any problems.

All of a sudden my App Store has (mostly) stopped working.

Whenever I open it, it knows enough to show me the updated versions of the Apps I already have which are available.

But when I click on any of them to download the latest version nothing happens.

As a result I now have 29 of my Apps out-of-date.

Any ideas?