The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

I took the advice last page (I think) to download Opera Mobile. Sadly, all I got was constant glitches. Perhaps my version of Android isn't powerful enough, but I'd've thought the Desire would be more than capable of it.

Anyway, I discovered Dolphin HD and bloody hell, it's good. Really fast, really smooth, has tabbed browsing - really glad I got this.

About a tenner. Verb.

Is it possible to download apps via my laptop online and then put them onto my phone? I'm guessing you put the .apk file...somewhere. Where? Cheers.

Move them onto your SD card. Browse to the location through your file manager, (if you don't have one, grab ASTRO from the Market) and open the file. It'll install from there, provided you've told your phone to allow third-party apps.

Any apps installed this way won't update automatically, or otherwise, through the Market though.

I uninstalled iTunes yesterday. Now whenever I boot up my pc I get an error along the lines of 'applesyncnotifier.exe unable to locate component'. Any idea how to get rid of this? I've googled it and everyone who has this error is being told to re-install iTunes, but I don't want iTunes.

• Paid Members

Question about the iPhone 4's battery life. How long should it last?

I tend to use the 3G alot at work, so say a good 4-6 hours of browsing. I have the brightness below half way, and have turned off most of the 'push' notifications. On average I'd say I can get a days use without charging it. Is this bad or the norm?

• Paid Members

I don't know about iPhone, but that sounds pretty good for a smart phone given the fact you use it that much for browsing. I have my HTC Hero on charge overnight and it drops to 'red' battery at around 8pm tonight.

Have just checked, it's only on 'amber' at the moment- soft warning- it's lasting a bit longer today. But yeah, I have to charge it daily without fail. Fucking smartphones. This has to be the next thing to concentrate on for engineers- increased battery life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Question about the iPhone Facebook app.

Can you insert links to other pages and videos like you can via web browser? Anytime I share a link via the app it doesn't show as it would do on a normal browser, It just shows the address of the link. anyone?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Been playing Zombie Gunship for iPhone for the last few days and it really is something that keeps pulling you back to play.

I'm not usually a fan of this type of game, or handheld games at all to be honest, but this game is very entertaining and it does so much with so little. Loads of fun. well worth the small price.

IMG_6301-300x200.png

• Paid Members
Been reading about the possible iPhone 5 or iPhone 4GS. Anyone thinking of jumping on this if it hits this autumn?

My blackberry contracts up right around then so I'm going to. I've neglected going touchscreen up until now and stuck with a curve but I'm going to give it a go and see how it goes. Best case scenario, I get a cracking new phone. Worst case scenario, I make some money selling it on ebay.

• Moderators

My contract ain't up till early next year.

However, out of phones currently on the market / dropping imminently, the Sony Xperia Pro is looking like it'll be my next phone.

Basically, my main criteria is an Android phone with a qwerty keyboard, and this seems to be the best thing that fits that bill.

My contract ain't up till early next year.

However, out of phones currently on the market / dropping imminently, the Sony Xperia Pro is looking like it'll be my next phone.

Basically, my main criteria is an Android phone with a qwerty keyboard, and this seems to be the best thing that fits that bill.

If you can hold on about 3 months then I would recommend having the look at the new Sony Xperia Pro. This has a 3.7/4 inch screen and a slide out qwerty keyboard.