The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

This is desktop rather than smartphone related (though it's for iPhone and iPod users): if you've not updated yet, don't bother with iTunes 11.1 right now. It's utterly fucked the podcasts to the point you may randomly have old podcasts permanently deleted, you'll have some podcasts listed that appear to be undeletable, and you'll have absolutely no clue what's actually on your computer and in turn what will copy over to/get removed from your iPhone.

It's got to be a fuck-up rather than an intentional design, but either way I'd wait to see if it's fixed in a future update.

Edit: Longer explanation, confirming it's a fuck-up. Short version is that Apple are now treating podcasts in the same way as app and music purchases, meaning they are always listed as available for redownloading, but they forgot to put in the ability to permanently delete them from your iTunes purchase history.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I was on the phone for two hours yesterday with a number of Apple technicians before I got elevated to a senior tech named Logan who confirms that this was, in fact, a bug.

It seems that Apple decided to move podcasts up to the iCloud, but did not provide controls over the content like they did for movies and music. As Logan explained it, it was only half implemented. What happens is that iTunes now handles podcast subscriptions like it does movie and music purchases - it adds an entry into your Purchase History so that you can go back at any time and download the content to any device. Unfortunately, they did not simultaneously provide controls to allow you to delete Podcasts from your purchase history. In fact, they also didn't provide their own tech support that ability either, as he couldn't delete it either (like he can for music, movies, and apps). And yes, while you don't "purchase" podcasts, that's how Apple chose to implement their cloud solution. We tried everything, with his workaround being to unsubscribe from the podcast, and manually add episodes each time - thus defeating the entire purpose of a subscription.

This, combined with the fact that the podcasts don't stop playing when they reach the end of the show, works to really make my life heck, as it finishes playing one podcast, then goes and downloads the next older podcast and starts playing it. Nothing like falling asleep listening to a podcast and waking up finding that you've downloaded a bunch of old podcasts all over again.

Now here's the kicker: after confirming that it is, in fact, a bug, I said "Well, I guess you're going to write up a bug report and submit it to the engineers." He informed me that it doesn't work that way at Apple. Apple's engineers apparently ONLY read the apple.com/feedback responses. So, he told me *I* have to go submit the bug through that venue. I am a little concerned, as this legitimate bug is likely to be stuck with a million other complaints with "I don't like the colors of the new iPhone", etc, but there you go.

So, I request that we all go and use the "Provide iTunes Feedback" and tell them about this bug so that hopefully, some engineer can fix this.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by JNLister

Only thing I've noticed on my iPhone 4 since iOS7 was installed, is i'll get a push notification saying, say 3 Apps need updating, go on to the App Store, it shows the 3 that need updating, but then they suddenly change and it just shows the apps I've already updated since upgrading to iOS7.

iPhone 5S has arrived now though, and I'll probably just put it on auto-update from now on

Still torn on 5s versus 5c. The more expensive one has a faster processor (cool for games, but I don't play game on my phone) and a fingerprint scanner. And that's about it. Any reason I shouldn't just save myself a few hundred quid and go for the 5c?

My 4s was buggy to start with, even though this handset I got back in April when I smashed my old screen. Now with the new iOS it's on it's arse :(

Is anyone else having trouble with iMessages? I've done everything and still playing up.

Yep i've had the same on mine, and were not the only ones Kook iMessage problems!!!

• Paid Members

Is there an option on iOS7 to have the music lists like previous versions? What I'm getting at is, when I use the Artists tab. You used to click and artist and there would be the list of albums and you'd click onto that and it would take you to a list of tracks. But now, you click artist and it takes you to albums but with the tracks already there, so you for some albums you need to scroll all the way to the bottom etc.

I know this sounds like me being lazy but when you have a lot of songs and albums by a band, it can be a bit tedious having to scroll all that way.

Is there an option on iOS7 to have the music lists like previous versions? What I'm getting at is, when I use the Artists tab. You used to click and artist and there would be the list of albums and you'd click onto that and it would take you to a list of tracks. But now, you click artist and it takes you to albums but with the tracks already there, so you for some albums you need to scroll all the way to the bottom etc.

I know this sounds like me being lazy but when you have a lot of songs and albums by a band, it can be a bit tedious having to scroll all that way.

I don't think so, but I'm also not a fan of it. You can't delete a full album at a time from your phone either, you have to do it song by song, and unless you start from the last song and work your way up, the Music app crashes