The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

Is it possible that mobile phone manufacturers like Apply & Sony, or service providers like Vodafone & O2 could ensure that your phone starts acting shitty a few months before your contract ends?

If they can put U2 latest album on your phone without telling you, surely planting a little bug to make your phone start acting up and you run along to them to buy another one isn't so outlandish?

I've been with Vodafone for years. They allow you to upgrade your 2 year contract 3 months before it ends. In my current case that would be the end of next month.

This weekend on my Sony Xperia the apps have started coming up with error messages and closing themselves down and it's not letting me make calls. I remember the exact same thing the last two times (at least) I have been 20 months into a 24 month contract with them, with iPhones on those occasions.

My conspiracy theory is that when you allow Vodafone to update updates or your phone settings electronically, it must surely be possible to put something in your phone which affects how well it works. Then you're sick of fucking about and instead of going elsewhere with 3/4 months left to still pay Vodafone, you go back to those fuckers asking for a new phone and the brand new 2 year contract that comes along with it.

Maybe I just have bad luck and this isn't a common thing.

Maybe modern day smartphones only have a shelf life of 1.5 to 2 years before they stop working.

Anyone else have an opinion or any information on this?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, dopper said:

Is it possible that mobile phone manufacturers like Apply & Sony, or service providers like Vodafone & O2 could ensure that your phone starts acting shitty a few months before your contract ends? If they can put U2 latest album on your phone without telling you, surely planting a little bug to make your phone start acting up and you run along to them to buy another one isn't so outlandish? I've been with Vodafone for years. They allow you to upgrade your 2 year contract 3 months before it ends. In my current case that would be the end of next month.

This weekend on my Sony Xperia the apps have started coming up with error messages and closing themselves down and it's not letting me make calls. I remember the exact same thing the last two times (at least) I have been 20 months into a 24 month contract with them, with iPhones on those occasions. My conspiracy theory is that when you allow Vodafone to update updates or your phone settings electronically, it must surely be possible to put something in your phone which affects how well it works. Then you're sick of fucking about and instead of going elsewhere with 3/4 months left to still pay Vodafone, you go back to those fuckers asking for a new phone and the brand new 2 year contract that comes along with it. Maybe I just have bad luck and this isn't a common thing.

Maybe modern day smartphones only have a shelf life of 1.5 to 2 years before they stop working. Anyone else have an opinion or any information on this?

Obsolescence is easily one of the biggest ball aches for consumers, but at the same time arguably keeps industry running. About 10 years ago I remember an article in which magazine which interviewed a team who claimed they had developed a non-destructive filament for a light bulb, meaning that the bulb is much less likely to need replacing. They took their plans to a number of large manufacturers who all passed on the concept and they subsequently found it difficult to gain a patent. The fact is by creating it, they would need to manufacture a lot less standard bulbs in the future, meaning less revenue and less jobs.

I remember my first TV as a teen, it was a hand me down big old brown box from my parents who got it from theirs. It never died but became unrequired due to the modern world if scart at the time. In the last 15 years of being an adult, I'd guess I've had around 4 'new' tvs, all have died. I think this is more down to quality of components and build rather than specific planned obsolescence.

There's an interesting read here about Apple being rumbled for planned obsolescence here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/company-breaks-open-apple-watch-to-discover-what-it-says-is-planned-obsolescence-10203822.html

My view is that it absolutely does exist and some companies are very guilt of it. However, it also brings about the question of being a disposable society. Have we naturally brought this on ourselves due to always wanting the new product? Is industry simply assuming that we will want a 5K TV in a year, so think fuck it, let's play the game?

Both to blame in my opinion. We always complain that technology moves too fast, but because we are so happy to buy in to it, then of course it will.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So my trusty Galaxy S4 appears to be on the way out. Atleast 4 times a day, the phone gives me a message saying the SIM is not detected and needs to be restarted. I've been using some fixes found on Google, but I feel it's only a matter of time before it goes completely. 

Can anyone recommend a similar phone, (doesn't have to be Samsung, although that  would be easier) for less than £150. Just want it for the usual stuff like browsing, podcasts, YouTube etc. Something on a par with the S4 performance wise would be nice. 

Cheers! 

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Right, it look like it's time to get a new phone. My faithful HTC Hero S is still running fine and I love the camera on it, but a) the battery is not holding it's charge for as long as it used to, and b) some apps are no longer compatible with it's 2012 OS.

My phone needs are pretty basic, which I why if I tend to keep the same phone for years. Calls, texts, Viber, eBay, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Tumblr and a browser for here and Google. I don't use it for music (got a separate MP3 player for that), but I do like it to have a decent camera.

As funds are somewhat tight at the moment, I'd like to keep it under £200 and the further under the better.

I'm not brand loyal (although would be sticking with Android), and have been eyeing up the Nokia 5, the Huawei P8 or P10 Lite and the LG K8 and K10.

Lay your recommendations on me, people.

On 12/02/2018 at 11:41 PM, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Right, it look like it's time to get a new phone. My faithful HTC Hero S is still running fine and I love the camera on it, but a) the battery is not holding it's charge for as long as it used to, and b) some apps are no longer compatible with it's 2012 OS.

My phone needs are pretty basic, which I why if I tend to keep the same phone for years. Calls, texts, Viber, eBay, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Tumblr and a browser for here and Google. I don't use it for music (got a separate MP3 player for that), but I do like it to have a decent camera.

As funds are somewhat tight at the moment, I'd like to keep it under £200 and the further under the better.

I'm not brand loyal (although would be sticking with Android), and have been eyeing up the Nokia 5, the Huawei P8 or P10 Lite and the LG K8 and K10.

Lay your recommendations on me, people.

What about this then? http://www.techradar.com/reviews/honor-9-lite-uk

https://www.androidauthority.com/honor-9-lite-review-830795/

Being declared King of The Budgets, Honor will be one of the big boys soon of the phone world.