General politics discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

Saudi Arabia are probably the worst country in the entire world. As much as everyone blames the west for the problems in the Middle East I would personally lay the majority of the blame at the Saudis feet. I could talk for hours on how the ruling family and elite are a cancer on this planet.

And how the Western world colludes to help and assist them...
Pretty much every country except Iran really. When you essentially control the world's oil price you'll find countries don't like to be on your bad side. Edited by LaGoosh

• 3 weeks later...

A light news story, but thought this warranted some exposure. Mainly because it's very rare I can say that a link belongs, equally, in a politics thread and a Lucha Libre thread;

That's not the first time he's made a bell of himself for charity, either. I disagree with him on a lot, but always seemed like a fairly principled and disciplined man. Better than Trump, at least.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• 2 months later...

Effectively accusing Corbyn of a racist sympathiser, when its something Corbyn has actively protested against pretty much his whole life made Smith look like a right idiot. Of all things to attack Corbyn on man, jesus.

Corbyn was far from perfect tonight,and his naiveity, whilst commendable, in relation to trident, the islamic state and the situation in Syria, was still plain to see, he came across a lot better than Smith. Not that its difficult mind.

The whole situation is a mess like, but i do like Corbyn still

Yeah Smith has been beyond rubbish.

Corbyn is going to walk the contest with %60+ of the vote. The PLP in their short sighted idiocy are handing him an even bigger mandate.

Fucking idiots. They had the biggest political open goal in a generation and decided to turn on their own leader.

This week's YouGov numbers aren't looking good for him:

On how well Jeremy Corbyn is doing as Labour leader:

Well: 21%

Badly: 61%

NET: -40

(via YouGov)

Yeah Smith has been beyond rubbish.

Corbyn is going to walk the contest with %60+ of the vote. The PLP in their short sighted idiocy are handing him an even bigger mandate.

Fucking idiots. They had the biggest political open goal in a generation and decided to turn on their own leader.

What exactly is the open goal? Corbyn is never getting elected by the general public nor is he going to win the support of the PLP, he was also twatted in a vote of no-confidence. 

It's incredulous he's still leader.

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members

The open goal is that the Tories have taken us out of the EU without even the slightest clue of how to do it.

Instead of attacking Cameron and Johnson for risking the countries financial future on a series of gambles, Labour have turned on Corbyn instead, letting the Tories off the hook, and making the Labour Party look like an undemocratic joke. Is it any wonder he's got a low approval rating when his own MPs spend far more time criticising him, and their own membership, than they do the Tories?

Corbyn might never be PM but, then, that's not all that matters. If he can get rid of the Blairites and turn Labour back into a credible opposition (one that will actually oppose the Tories) then he'll have achieved far more than if he just aped Tory policies to get into power. Not that that will work for Labour anymore anyway.

Even as someone who's not really a Corbyn "fan," it's disingenuous at best the way Owen Smith's supporters keep pointing to the polls as proof that Corbyn isn't fit for the role. If a party refuses to support their own leader, then the electorate isn't going to see them as a Prime Minister. It's simple.

Corbyn was always going to be a hard-sell, but the PLP can't expect to tell everyone Corbyn's shit and then see it as his failure when people start believing it.

Also, Owen Smith is dreadful. Fancy attacking Corbyn in the one area where everybody knows he's sterling.

• 6 months later...

b6cbb7a4-c63c-47c7-b6fb-33c558bce2f2.png

I see wee Jimmy Krankie is sturring it up in Scotland.  What makes her think that another Scottish indy-ref will be any more successful than the first?  And should Wales then follow suit, given that there's a shedload of foreign investment here?  And Northern Ireland too??  Classic divide & rule politics ... she'll be on about building a big wall next ...

• Paid Members

What makes her think that another Scottish indy-ref will be any more successful than the first?

Simple answer- because 63% of Scotland voted to remain during the EU referendum. I reckon if this were to happen again, Scotland would gain independence and then probably join the EU down the line.

If that's the case, I wonder whether my great grandmother being from Aberdeen will help me obtain an EU passport...