General politics discussion thread

David

• Paid Members

There's a guy running in the London Mayor's election that is mainly concerned with the legalisation of weed. I might vote for him. Green's second. I wouldn't vote for Goldsmith and I dislike Khan. By the way, little known fact about Khan, his dad used to be a bus driver.

• Paid Members

By the way, little known fact about Khan, his dad used to be a bus driver.

You're being sarcastic, right? I've seen every news article bang on about this lately!

Son of London bus driver VS son of billionaire that was sent to Eton and had a publication 'gifted' to him by his uncle. Hmmm...it's a toughie to pick between the two!

Edited by PunkStep

If you're in London, you also have two votes for Assembly members. One of your preferences for mayor has to go to one of the two main parties' candidates, but you can vote with your conscience on the citywide list.

A list vote for the Greens in the Glasgow region sounds sensible to me, Mungo.

As for UKIP's rise in Wales: they're a genuine outlet for those who think devolution's gone far enough, and a misplaced box in which to mark a eurosceptic cross (Wales cannot unilaterally secede from the EU, but Kippers are helped by confusion over proximity to the referendum vote). There's also the factor of English people voting from second homes, and in some areas a tradition of self-hating Welshmen.

I can't think of any other reasons. Sadly this will mean a political comeback for Mark Reckless and Neil Hamilton. Basically their success will come at the expense of the Lib Dems. Previously they had taken the last top-up seat in most regions essentially by default, even when their vote tanked last time, but this year they won't be as lucky.

The WAGXIT bunch were set up by and for disaffected former UKIP supporters who either aren't pleased that the latter party's stance has moved from to "let's get rid of the Assemly" to "don't increase its size or give it any further powers", or simply fell out with them for other reasons.

They're standing just on the lists, so even with 100% of the vote they'd only win a third of the seats and couldn't enact their only policy anyway. Their presence is likely to steal some of UKIP's vote and damage their chances of a second list seat in most regions, though, which is good news.

It doesn't surprise me that their campaign offices are in England, but then again, I don't believe that Reckless' primary address is in Caerphilly or that Hamilton speaks fluent Welsh either.

• Paid Members

I went both votes for the SNP.

I'm shitting a brick, to be honest. The polls are promising but all the talk about how giving your list vote to the SNP would be a "waste" has made me really paranoid. It was list votes that got them over the line for a majority in 2011 and even that wasn't a large one by the end (in fact it was only a nominal one because Margo McDonald's seat was left vacant after her death).

I'm not in favour of another Independence Referendum right now but I am aware that the threat of one is the only real leverage we've got on the Tories. The SNP losing that majority and needing the support of another Party to remain in Government, or worse losing out completely to a Labour/Tory/Lib Dem/UKIP Coalition, would chuck it right out the window, and possibly the end of all the other good stuff we've got (free prescriptions etc).

I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid but, fuck me, there is a lot at stake.

They're not quite guaranteed second yet. Been a good night for them so far though. Labour have lost all of their constituency seats in Glasgow to the SNP, which is remarkable. Greens got a Glasgow list seat as well, happy with that and my local SNP MSP holding his seat with an increased majority. In fact, he got more than double the amount of votes that Labour did in an area that was a Labour stronghold for decades in Westminster elections.

• Paid Members

I went both votes for the SNP.

I'm shitting a brick, to be honest. The polls are promising but all the talk about how giving your list vote to the SNP would be a "waste" has made me really paranoid. It was list votes that got them over the line for a majority in 2011 and even that wasn't a large one by the end (in fact it was only a nominal one because Margo McDonald's seat was left vacant after her death).

I'm not in favour of another Independence Referendum right now but I am aware that the threat of one is the only real leverage we've got on the Tories. The SNP losing that majority and needing the support of another Party to remain in Government, or worse losing out completely to a Labour/Tory/Lib Dem/UKIP Coalition, would chuck it right out the window, and possibly the end of all the other good stuff we've got (free prescriptions etc).

I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid but, fuck me, there is a lot at stake.

SNP have indeed lost their majority, but the Scottish Greens say they favour independence and a second referendum "in time" and the two parties together would have a majority. 

• Paid Members

PCC

Reported.

The fucking Telegraph are such a bunch of cunts - now it's looking likely that Khan might win the London mayoralty, they're dredging up a load of quotes from his team to spin it as Khan distancing himself fron Corbyn. They really will try and publish anything in their attempts to drag him down. I'm not even a Labour voter any more, and I think it's pathetic.

Didn't think I'd ever see a day where the Tories came second in Scotland.

People don't want the extreme left taking on the very left, they want the most central parties taking on the very left. If you have no central parties as the 2 most powerful it allows parties to do what they want. It has happened in Westminster with the Conservatives because there was no central party to attack them they did what they wanted. Unsurprising really. Another problem is that now that the referendum has been and gone some may have decided why bother with SNP. I think many only voted for them in the General Election to teach Labour a lesson for being so pro Scotland staying.

Sturgeon scares me, she looks like a cross between Mary Doll and Jimmy Krankie.

The Scottish vote is quite interesting in that it also shows little to no support for UKIP (always a good thing) and shows that the Scottish electorate will be a key factor in the referendum. UKIP have done very well in Wales and gained support in many English councils.