General politics discussion thread

David

What makes her think that another Scottish indy-ref will be any more successful than the first?

Simple answer- because 63% of Scotland voted to remain during the EU referendum. I reckon if this were to happen again, Scotland would gain independence and then probably join the EU down the line.

If that's the case, I wonder whether my great grandmother being from Aberdeen will help me obtain an EU passport...

Hmm, I can see what you mean given that statistic.  Would the cost of EU membership be too much for some Scots to stomach though?

• Paid Members

I was on the side of No in the last IndyRef, not that it mattered since I'm not Scottish. But now I'm firmly behind independence for them. This union isn't worth trying to preserve. Plus Edinburgh is on our radar as a place we may look at moving to once we've both graduated.

Given that a major deciding factor for a lot of people was the guaranteed membership remaining in the UK gave them, it could be a decent swing to make it a leave vote. I don't THINK it will happen but it seems a good time to go for it again.

Sturgeon has been running Scotland into the ground waiting for her next opportunity to strike with another "Once in a Generation" referendum. The EU referendum was a vote for the UK, not just for Scotland. The UK market is also worth 14x more to Scotland than the EU single market too.

Hopefully this one shuts them up once and for all.

I was on the side of No in the last IndyRef, not that it mattered since I'm not Scottish. But now I'm firmly behind independence for them. This union isn't worth trying to preserve. Plus Edinburgh is on our radar as a place we may look at moving to once we've both graduated.

Interesting comment. :)  I'm all for independent nations again, don't get me wrong, but I'd be against Wales becoming part of the federalised EU.  The EEC morphed into something it shouldn't have, in my opinion.  Ted Heath signed this a few months before I was brought into the world, so I've known nothing but the EEC/EU, however hearing stories of more affluence pre-EEC (from older folks) have intrigued me.

I dunno, I'm just keen to have everyone get what they want ultimately.

The union is dying?  Seems so ... 1707 is a real world away from 2017 ... 

I am in favour of independence as I think Scotland would be better off but I can't see any change in the vote from last time.

For every person that's changed from No to Yes since the last vote, someone has changed from Yes to No. There is not this crazy swing to people being in favour like many Yes voters think there has been.

Hmm, another interesting take on the way people are thinking/likely to vote & their "swings".

If wee Jimmy fails to secure Scotland's independence, will she demand a third referendum?

Hmm, another interesting take on the way people are thinking/likely to vote & their "swings".

If wee Jimmy fails to secure Scotland's independence, will she demand a third referendum?

I'm just hoping she fucks off my tele once and for all. She comes across as a selfish person who's aim in life is to make Scotland independent whether it is good for the country or not. To be honest I think Scotland it is not strong enough to leave the UK. A) They are not guarenteed to be in the EU if they leave. B) If they get in it could take a while.

I fucking hate all the "Jimmy Krankie" bollocks.  Kind of shows your level of political discourse when you come out with shite like that.  But yeah, fancy the leader of the Scottish Nationalist Party banging on about nationalism.  It beggars belief.

• Awards Moderator

I expect if this one doesn't work, she'll keep calling for referendums every couple of years until one gets the result she wants!

The case for a second referendum is extremely clear and reasonable. I don't want them to go but you can't deny that remaining a part of the UK within the EU was a very different proposition to remaining a part of the UK outside of the EU. The 2014 result was made redundant by the Brexit referendum.

I expect if this one doesn't work, she'll keep calling for referendums every couple of years until one gets the result she wants!

Nah, the EU referendum result is a solid enough case for why it should be considered.  Emphasis on considered, there.

EDIT - Or what PInc said better.

Edited by Keith Houchen

Emperor Palpatine says a second independence referendum would cause uncertainty and be divisive. Brexit, on the other hand, is full of certainty and is bringing the entire country together.

FixedLOL