General politics discussion thread

David

On 7/11/2018 at 11:25 AM, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think it's a real shame then when you have an opinon about something you can never later change that opinon based on re-looking and evaluating things

Didn't hear the word opinion there, I heard the words 'I believe'. Was he lying then, or was he lying later?

Edited by Voodoo

• Paid Members

Fucking hell. Is there any point at which the US federal government can decide that the president is actively working against US interests and can't or shouldn't be allowed to stay if office? Seriously. How is he standing next to the Russian president and going against what his own intelligence and law enforcement officials are telling him? It's crazy.

The government has all kinds of options at its disposal, but that would require a majority of it to not be comprised of corrupt, spineless, complicit sycophants choosing party over country to appease their corporate donors.

The midterm elections in November will determine whether he's held to account by a reshaped government, but because the current one has done nothing to plug the holes in its democracy exploited by Putin there are already signs of the same tactics being used to meddle with the midterms.

(Edit: We probably want to be using this thread.)

Edited by Uncle Zeb

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 11:25 AM, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think it's a real shame then when you have an opinon about something you can never later change that opinon based on re-looking and evaluating things

Dude is a politician. He's gonna say what needs to be said in order to further his political ambitions, simple as that. Not sure why that's considered a big deal, there's few political figures who haven't changed opinions and switched shit up over their career.

• 2 weeks later...

The following table may help to explain the situation: 

If you are: Then you are:
A Born in the island of Ireland on or before 31 December 2004 Entitled to Irish citizenship or you are an Irish citizen
B Born on the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005

Entitled to Irish citizenship if one or both of your parents:

• Is Irish
  • Is British or entitled to live in Northern Ireland or the Irish State without restriction on their residency
  • Is a foreign national legally resident in the island of Ireland for 3 out of 4 years immediately prior to your birth
  • Has been granted refugee status in Ireland
C Child of A, born outside the island of Ireland An Irish citizen
D Child of C and a grandchild of A, born outside the island of Ireland Entitled to Irish citizenship, but you must first register in the Foreign Births Register
E a child of D and a great-grandchild of A, born outside the island of Ireland  Entitled to Irish citizenship, by having your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register, but only if your parent D had registered by the time of your birth.

Carry on from @SpursRiot2012 clogging up the wrong thread, this might be of interest to you.  I take it your partner is D?  I have an Irish passport, be prepared for hostility from some sectors who dislike Irish passport holders who don't live there or even went abroad to work.  Maybe it's just small town mentality or whatnot but the resentment is there.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Carry on from @SpursRiot2012 clogging up the wrong thread, this might be of interest to you.  I take it your partner is D?  I have an Irish passport, be prepared for hostility from some sectors who dislike Irish passport holders who don't live there or even went abroad to work.  Maybe it's just small town mentality or whatnot but the resentment is there.

I went to visit my cousin's in-laws in Ireland last year, and chatted about this with one of the brothers-in-law. He said it's not something that he agrees with, but he understands where it comes from, because Ireland's always suffered from a talent/brain drain owing to emigration, and that an often-held perception is that such people are getting all the benefits of being Irish, but aren't paying back in by sticking around to help build the country up. I saw over here in London a number of Irish papers with articles that validate the truth of that assertion (that there are a fair few people who think this, not that it's correct), one in particular being that the Irish Ministry for the Diaspora has set up a scheme offering 100,000 EUR bursaries to any Diasporic Irish (though there's a clearly-stated preference for Irish Americans) who have a strong, innovative business plan, and who are prepared to move to Ireland to start it up and build it there.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:
  If you are: Then you are:
A    
B    
C    
D    
E    

Hostility from "some sectors"? What do you mean? I don't understand what you mean by that. I'm not sure why anyone would resent mine or my partner's legitimate right to Irish citizenship, especially mine - every member of my family bar one is Irish or of Irish descent. And anyone who would like to give me shit about it, or my partner, will find out fairly quickly how low a threshold I have for that sort of bullshit.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

I went to visit my cousin's in-laws in Ireland last year, and chatted about this with one of the brothers-in-law. He said it's not something that he agrees with, but he understands where it comes from, because Ireland's always suffered from a talent/brain drain owing to emigration, and that an often-held perception is that such people are getting all the benefits of being Irish, but aren't paying back in by sticking around to help build the country up. I saw over here in London a number of Irish papers with articles that validate the truth of that assertion (that there are people who hold it, not that it's correct), one in particular being that the Irish Ministry for the Diaspora has set up a scheme offering 100,000 EUR bursaries to any Diasporic Irish (though there's a clearly-stated preference for Irish Americans) who have a strong, innovative business plan, and who are prepared to move to Ireland to start it up and build it there.

And those who are returning to invest are getting grief.  When the whole Celtic Tiger economy was going down the drain, the calls for people to return were made by the government, those who went back were labelled plastics.  Ireland can be a very racist place in the rural parts, it sickens me to hear people blaming Romanians and the like for problems when they told you ad nauseam about "No Blacks No Dogs No Irish" in the past.

• Paid Members

My roots are in rural Ireland. My partner's sister went with her fiance to Mayo (where all my family on my dad's side come from) and, with her having Asian features, was treated like shit the entire time she was there. The idea that I'd subject my partner to that sort of shit just because someone wants to label me or her "plastic" Irish who just want the passport for the EU benefits, they can fuck off. If I took my partner to Mayo, I'd end up locked up because I'd hit the first prick who made a comment about her "chinky eyes" or whatever right in the fucking mouth.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And those who are returning to invest are getting grief.  When the whole Celtic Tiger economy was going down the drain, the calls for people to return were made by the government, those who went back were labelled plastics.  Ireland can be a very racist place in the rural parts, it sickens me to hear people blaming Romanians and the like for problems when they told you ad nauseam about "No Blacks No Dogs No Irish" in the past.

Hey, no argument here. My cousin's in-laws are lovely, lovely people (as is evidenced by just how welcoming and enthusiastic they've been towards my cousin and the rest of our family), but I've no illusions. I've said it so many times (especially since the Credit Crunch): every time the economy goes to shit, so many people affected by it start looking for others to blame, and it's usually punching down, giving rise to an increase in xenophobia, racism, homophobia, and fuck knows whatever other disgusting prejudices. And those flames are usually fuelled and fanned by the actual ones to blame.

40 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

My roots are in rural Ireland. My partner's sister went with her fiance to Mayo (where all my family on my dad's side come from) and, with her having Asian features, was treated like shit the entire time she was there. The idea that I'd subject my partner to that sort of shit just because someone wants to label me or her "plastic" Irish who just want the passport for the EU benefits, they can fuck off. If I took my partner to Mayo, I'd end up locked up because I'd hit the first prick who made a comment about her "chinky eyes" or whatever right in the fucking mouth.

Seems really odd that you'd want citizenship of a place that is like that. It's a case of asking what your country can do for you, not what you can do for your country.  Quite frankly, I can see why you'd not ever be considered Irish and be resented by them.  The racist stuff can fuck right off though.