What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
On 13/10/2017 at 8:01 PM, wordsfromlee said:

Bill Goldberg in this weeks episode of The Goldbergs. Did a better job than I expected from him.

I bloody love the Goldbergs. I assume for an older generation it's a nostalgia trip, for the current youth of today it's still relatable and anyone in between its just funny in that ''don't really get the reference but I can still remember hating been a teenager''. 

Caught the first episode of season 2 of Riverdale. Enjoying it again though pacing at times seemed a little off and like they tried to fit too much into episode one (as they did last season in episode one).

• Awards Moderator

This conversation is going on in 'TV you've given up on' but really belongs over here: my patience with Star Trek Discovery is rewarded. This week's episode is excellent. Big issues, personal issues, great cameo, little TOS nod and some wibbly wobbly sci-fi guff in the middle. Oh and a kind of 'huh?' cliffhanger. Really well done. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

This conversation is going on in 'TV you've given up on' but really belongs over here: my patience with Star Trek Discovery is rewarded. This week's episode is excellent. Big issues, personal issues, great cameo, little TOS nod and some wibbly wobbly sci-fi guff in the middle. Oh and a kind of 'huh?' cliffhanger. Really well done. 

100% agree. I liked Discovery before, but wasn't entirely sold. Episode 5 was great. I especially like that the ensemble is getting more time and being allowed to develop relationships. That scene at the end with Stamets and the doctor (I forget his name) was lovely.

If any episode was going to bring on board all the complainers in the Trek fandom, I thought it would be this one. It seems not, however. Thankfully, the show is doing well critically and luring subscribers for CBS All Access, so the show is going to go and we're getting a second season, for sure, I think.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Awards Moderator
26 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I especially like that the ensemble is getting more time and being allowed to develop relationships. 

Definitely. Enterprise sorely lacked those bookends to give you insight into the characters. Discovery wrapped up the week's story and there was still 7 minutes to go so we had two excellent interpersonal scenes. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Definitely. Enterprise sorely lacked those bookends to give you insight into the characters. Discovery wrapped up the week's story and there was still 7 minutes to go so we had two excellent interpersonal scenes. 

Saru continues to be probably the best character on the show although he did kind of annoy me in this episode and I was expecting him to cuss out Burnham for Stamets substituting himself for Ripper. Happily he didn't and redeemed himself.

Has anybody been watching Electric Dreams on C4? As a big fan of Phillip K. Dick's writing, I was really looking forward to it and while some episodes have been good I have to say it's been a bit of a let down overall. 

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Has anybody been watching Electric Dreams on C4? As a big fan of Phillip K. Dick's writing, I was really looking forward to it and while some episodes have been good I have to say it's been a bit of a let down overall. 

The Timothy Spall one was great, but the rest of them feel like someone went into a pitch meeting with "What if Black Mirror were shit?" Same thing with the Duplass Brothers' Room 104 on HBO. "Imagine Inside Number 9, but awful!"

• Awards Moderator

Not sure if we need a Star Trek thread. Lot of impulse-speed chatter lately.

The DS9 gang have reunited for a 25th anniversary photoshoot.

ds9-varietyprev-head.jpg

Aron Eisenberg (Nog), Ira Steven Behr (EP), Marc Alaimo (Gul Dukat), Cirroc Lofton (Jake Sisko), Michael Dorn (Worf), Terry Farrell (Jadzia Dax), Nana Visitor (Kira Nerys), Armin Shimerman (Quark), Nicole de Boer (Ezri Dax), Jeffrey Combs (Weyoun, Brunt), Rick Berman (EP), Penny Johnson Jerald (Kasidy Yates), Rene Auberjonois (Odo), and Chase Masterson (Leeta) - caption not mine, lifted from here

Cirroc Lofton ironically looking like Uncle Ben. Chase Masterson is full on @johnnyboy bait there. Avery Brooks, Colm Meaney and Alexander Siddig weren't available.

• Paid Members

Where's Max Grodenchik? Jeffrey Combs is brilliant whenever he turns up in Trek. Excluding appearances as hologram recreations of the characters he plays he's been 14 different characters across the various series, although he has also been several different incarnations of Weyoun. I saw the Enterprise episode with Rene Auberjonois in it the other day as I'm trotting through them and I legit marked out when he turned up. It's got an interesting thing going on, some of the episodes are brilliant. I remember the Borg one being good, and eed to see the mirror universe one as well. Sometimes I think they overdo the "sexy T'Pol", though.

Discovery is getting better and better. There are a lot of interesting theories about certain characters and things doing the rounds, I'm just letting it play itself out.

• Awards Moderator
On 10/17/2017 at 10:18 AM, Onyx2 said:

caption not mine, lifted from here

"Main cast members Avery Brooks (Capt. Sisko), Colm Meaney (Chief O’Brien) and Alexander Siddig (Dr. Bashir) were apparently not at the shoot. Nor were recurring actors Andrew Robinson (Garak), Max Grodénchik (Rom) or  Rosalind Chao (Keiko O’Brien)."

I didn't know Odo turned up in Enterprise, I must go back and finish the series.

I've heard the same rumour as you @jazzygeofferz, let's just say checking IMDB for Klingons in the cast list is interesting.

• Paid Members
On 16/10/2017 at 11:56 PM, SuperBacon said:

Curb Your Enthusiasm Series 9, Episode 3 was absolutely brilliant 

Hide contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Oh, and Louis Theroux continues to demonstrate why he is the absolute best at what he does. Both episodes have been excellent.

I watched it last night. It was the best episode yet. I bloody love curb and although I am enjoying this new series and it's stayed pretty true to form, I'm finding that it's a tad sillier if that's the right word. The 'situations' are a tiny touch more nonsensical. I'm not complaining, just an observation.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

"Main cast members Avery Brooks (Capt. Sisko), Colm Meaney (Chief O’Brien) and Alexander Siddig (Dr. Bashir) were apparently not at the shoot. Nor were recurring actors Andrew Robinson (Garak), Max Grodénchik (Rom) or  Rosalind Chao (Keiko O’Brien)."

I didn't know Odo turned up in Enterprise, I must go back and finish the series.

I've heard the same rumour as you @jazzygeofferz, let's just say checking IMDB for Klingons in the cast list is interesting.

It's not Odo, just Rene Auberjonois in an episode towards the end of the first series. There are a good few rumours flying around. Jonathan Frakes has said something, which makes me wonder whether he directs the episode his comment was related to.