What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I can only assume Sphinx doesn't know what humour is.

"DANGER ZONE!"

I think I just prefer British comedy. His voice is irritating too.

As for The Wire, I tried it years back but never properly immersed myself in it, partly because I was probably too young and struggled with the legal terms and dialogue. I finished the first series at the time. I downloaded it again recently though and have been meaning to start it again. Would you say it's a slow burner?

I'd say it's a definitely a slow burner. I've had the full series collection for ages on DVD and have only ever made it to the midpoint of S2. It probably doesn't help that I tried watching it in bed and end up falling asleep most nights so have to pick it up again the following night. I've probably seen the first series about four times

Lucky Man was a good premise not even bloody used. Tedious police drama.

Can't wait to watch 22.11.63. Book was fantastic.

Lucky Man became somewhat of a chore to watch as it went on. Didn't hate it or anything, but I wish it was better than it ended up being.

Watched the first half of 11.22.63 over the last couple of days and I am really enjoying it. Found the book to be a great read when I read it a few years ago, and from what I have seen the mini-series is great as well.

Oh and Sarah Gadon :wub:

Edited by DJM

• Paid Members

Has anyone been watching The Island this year. It's got far more brutal. Last few series have been all about over coming adversity and bonding as a group. This year has them shitting blood and falling 20 foot off a cliff into rocks ( which was as brutal as it sounds)

• Moderators

Has anyone else here seen Beyond Scared Straight? I can't decide if it's amazing or an absolute disgrace that it was made. Basically they take children who are close to being sent down to jail for the day where the inmates try and scare the fuck out of them so they won't do it again. It's a abhorrent, horrible programme.

Still watch it though.

Edited by PowerButchi

In a similar vein, anyone checked out 60 Days In on Crime & Investigation? It's a social experiment where the prison governor wants to see the effectiveness of his jail so he brings in civilians to go undercover and only he knows they are really who they are. The guards and their fellow inmates are not aware and they are given a back story which they have to stick to. It's 2 episodes in so far and they should be both on the ondemand section.

• Paid Members

Has anyone else here seen Beyond Scared Straight? I can't decide if it's amazing or an absolute disgrace that it was made. Basically they take children who are close to being sent down to jail for the day where the inmates try and scare the fuck out of them so they won't do it again. It's a abhorrent, horrible programme.

Still watch it though.

I watch this constantly, sometimes several episodes in a row, it's on UK TV somewhere as Troubled Teens: Jail Shock.

I love it, it's as close as I've ever seen to Running Man style unrealistically insane hellish TV. It's just an hour of kids of varying degrees of naughtiness being shouted at by nutters, the prison guards in it are among the worst people I've ever seen, they get such twisted joy from trying to scare these kids as much as possible.

Recent notable spots included a boy who had previously been on it but hadn't changed his ways and was now an inmate, and an update where it was revealed one of the boys had since been shot dead at age 17 in the street after failing to take the programme seriously and turn his life around.

The best part is when they let the prisoners in with the teens, a room full of real prisoners screaming at kids that they're going to murder them, it's unbelievable.

• Paid Members

Caught the first episode of "Camping" on Sky Atlantic. Written by Julia Davis. I thought it was a solid first episode. Vicky Pepperdine's character is awful but Steve Pemberton plays her mild-mannered husband gloriously. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I've just watched the first two episodes of Cracker. I remember it a bit from the 90s but I was never really a massive watcher. Fuck me, it's glorious. Coltrane is superb and the surrounding cast are really good. Great dialogue and I listened to it through headphones and the surround sound is sensational. The background conversations are crystal clear. Never really thought there was any point in surround sound (at home) but I'd install it just for this.

• Paid Members

Have watched up to season ten of Always Sunny after starting it a few weeks ago. I have to say, it's a great show. Even the few seasons where it wasn't at its best, I had no trouble getting through. Any idea when season 11 comes to Netflix? Might have to watch it on Kodi.

Better Call Saul spoilers.

- - -

Saul/Jimmy is one of my favourite characters on the box. BCS has had some slow moments throughout the first two series but it's been fantastic, overall. Ep10/the season finale dragged a bit and it was totally different to what most people were expecting. They've done a great job of building the other characters up and giving them storylines in their own right. Kim is great and I know a lot of people prefer Mike and his story over Jimmy's. Even the background (not the right word but I'm having a right brain fart typing this) characters like (fuck, I've forgotten his name now - the other main lawyer at HHM) and Taco are brilliant. Chuck's character is one of the best heels I've ever seen in a TV show.

There are so many open ended questions going into the third series. I've no idea how many series they're hoping to get out of it and I'm amazed we haven't seen the official transition from Jimmy to Saul yet - although that ending must but a huge step nearer. Now Chuck's got the voice recording, I don't think he'll go to the cops, but instead make Jimmy promise he'll move out the state. However, it would be perfectly logical for Chuck to go to the cops and it would explain Jimmy going as far as changing his name.

Chuck not telling Jimmy of their mother's last words had me looking like that kid pulling that face at The Miz a few years ago.

Series 3 seems like a long time away with all the cliffhangers from S2. I kind of wish I'd discovered BCS once it had finished, like I did with BB so I could binge watch the lot.

- - -

I don't watch too much telly but if you've still not seen it, do yourself a favour, watch Breaking Bad and get yourself onto Better Call Saul.