What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Louis Theroux has a new doc about alcoholism on BBC 2 tonight at nine. I love Louis. Like a brother.

Thanks for alerting me to this.  It was utterly heartbreaking.  However it has made me aware of the damage my alcoholism must be having on loved ones.  I'll remember this the next time I want to drink for days.

• Paid Members

Really felt for Joe, the fact he had been in hospital all that time, knocking on deaths door and not a single person had gone to see him. I understand alcoholics are prone to burning all their bridges bit no one, never mind a guy so young, should have so little support.

In fact I really liked the woman with the dreads and French(?) accent, there was an honesty about her that made me feel even more sorry for her than I already did. When Louis asks her why she is with Gary her reply gave me a big auld lump in the throat. Hopefully, he drinks one can of K too much and falls under a bus, horrible bastard.

I like Peter Kay but it's a fucking joke how the BBC thinks it's necessary to have a 6 part series filled with clips we've seen over and over. You would've expected Channel 4 to churn out this kind of stuff considering that most of the footage is from 4.

• Paid Members

I've just finished the Louis Theroux doc and I've gotta say it was fascinating for all the wrong reasons. Three years ago, I lost my mother to alcoholism and I always though she wasn't that bad. After watching this however, I could see shades of her in all three of the people interviewed.

I remember her drinking first thing in the morning and then all through the day. She didn't listen to anyone when we advised how it was affecting her and the family. I was once walking around B&Q with her and noticed she had a bottle of Sprite, well what I thought was Sprite, it was actually wine that she had put into a Sprite bottle.

I genuinely feel for anyone going through this battle and would wish all the luck in the world to defeat this monster.

• Paid Members

Chilli, what is that documentary on? I need a good documentary to get my teeth into and I don't know as much as I should about the Cold War.

Might want to try this Punkstep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22KIQ1QNnhE&list=PL3H6z037pboGWTxs3xGP7HRGrQ5dOQdGc

25 parter on the Cold War which I remember being very good. Not sure if it's the same one that Chilli is watching but it's worth a bash if you're looking for a decent overview of a wonderfully interesting period.

Yeah sorry guys, late reply. That is the same series. About to start 'Eyes on the Prize'. A 14 part doc on civil rights movement.