What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

So I've been watching and enjoying Parks & Rec the last few weeks. It took a little while to get going but once everyone settled into there characters it has been a very funny show to watch. That is until this happened.

billy-eicher-parks-and-rec-w724.jpg

Who the fuck thought someone shouting in a camp voice would be funny? He truly is the drizzling shits. I don't think I can watch anymore.

• Paid Members

I didn't like him at first either but it was one of those where the repetition eventually made it funny for me and he grew on me. Eichner is a pretty funny guy, persevere if you enjoy the show, he's a very minor character.

• Paid Members

I don't even remember that character and I watched the whole run. Can't be that off putting..

It isn't at all, he's pretty funny if not that memorable. Is Steve Justice the one who shits while squatting on the cistern? 

Sons of Anarchy final episode was weak. The episode before that, too. Just found the payoffs to everything fairly lame and the loose ends got wrapped up too easily/lazily for me. Agreed with whoever it was earlier who said that "I got this" prison scene was the peak of the show.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
The homeless woman bit ("who are you?") and the end death were terribly done.

Toast of London is class, if you like Matt Berry you'll love it.

This isn't necessarily true. I like Matt Berry, and I thought Toast of London was absolute shitcom. Maybe what happened is I like Matt Berry more when he's not the lead.

I don't even remember that character and I watched the whole run. Can't be that off putting..

Me neither, to the point I went and Googled if it was from a UK remake or something.

He's not someone who appears in every episode admittedly , and he doesn't play a big part. I don't know if you watched the show weekly or sporadically, but I've been watched 3-4 episodes a day so it feels like the character has been appearing quite frequently. I just find him very annoying and not even remotely funny. For a show full of quirky characters he feels very out of place.

Can't be that off putting..

Isn't that subjective?

I've watched right up to season 6 now anyway. Haven't they just finished filming season 7? When does it start airing?

My bad. What's happened here is that I didn't realise they were still making the show, and I haven't even seen the most recent season.

Which is why I didn't recognize the guy. I take it Chris Pratt isn't in it anymore? Surely he has better things to do...

No worries.

Chris Pratt is still in the show. He took a couple of episodes off during season 6, but that's it. Not sure how much of season 7 he will be in though.

Andy Dwyer is incredible though. Him and Ron Swanson are the reasons to keep watching.

Clem Fandango is an ace character.  Those opening skits are brilliant.  

Toast has really settled into its stride now; it's going to be quirky at times, and the musical interludes are jarring, but you have to take it as a whole, and it's a lot of fun.  I think Darth Merenghi was in one of the recent episodes too.

• Awards Moderator

I didn't like him at first either but it was one of those where the repetition eventually made it funny for me and he grew on me. Eichner is a pretty funny guy, persevere if you enjoy the show, he's a very minor character.

I felt similarly. Didn't like him when he first appeared but by the time you get through season 6, he's used more sparingly and is okay in small doses. I'm a bit worried about where the show's going to go in season 7, though - the end of 6 seemed like a perfect end to the series as a whole. Everything got wrapped up, and I'm not sure where they take it from there (before they then have to wrap it all up again 13 episodes later).

It could be a disaster. The new season is set years into the future and has done away with the mockumentary format, so it's easy enough to imagine it being a terrible departure from the show. I think it happened because they didn't know they were getting a seventh season until the sixth had already been written (and maybe shot). They wrapped everything up in case they never came back. The show apparently is very unprofitable.

• Paid Members

NBC have had dilemmas with their sitcoms the last few years because the likes of 30 Rock, Parks etc are critics favorites but really unprofitable and draw poor ratings, but they've kinda had to let them go on because their the only critically acclaimed shows on the network. Fox have the same problem with Bob's Burgers and likely will again with Brooklyn 99. They'll get it all back in syndication anyway. I can't believe the Parks writing staff would have given season 6 such a finale ending had they known they would be coming back. It was an excellent episode and the perfect ending to the show.