What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

I don't know what it is, Brewster! I even have his two books. No joke.

His autobiography is written like a mulch of tweets from the cast of Attack the Block and 'The Films of Danny Dyer' is a suck fest from one of his directors of one his less than stellar contributions to celluloid, but I can't get enough of him.

This will make you sick, Punk! Sick:

A folder on my hard drive:

2nghemr.png

Bear in mind, I have all these on dvd along with the likes Human Traffic Remixed, City Rats, The Other Half, Pimp and the Last Seven.

He's great in Severance, is Danny.  He's not a BAD actor, he just can't tell the difference between good and bad material.  So he makes fucking terrible films and thinks they're Hitchcock.

Speaking of actors with their own genre, Statham is now a genre in its own right, surely?  Quite often Mrs Loki and I will sit down to watch a Statham movie - doesn't matter what the title is, it'll be roughly the same thing and entertaining as fuck.  He has an extraordinarily high hit rate versus duds, considering he presumably gets offered the same old DTV shite as everyone else.

I've finally watched the Rik Mayall tribute that's been sitting on my Sky Plus over Xmas. The BBC done a great job with it, although it was rushed from the Bottom years with a brief mention of his quad bike accident to appearing in Man Down. Once the programme had finished i'm sure everyone probably thought the same thing and that was "Where the fuck was Ade Edmondson".

• Paid Members

I've finally watched the Rik Mayall tribute that's been sitting on my Sky Plus over Xmas. The BBC done a great job with it, although it was rushed from the Bottom years with a brief mention of his quad bike accident to appearing in Man Down. Once the programme had finished i'm sure everyone probably thought the same thing and that was "Where the fuck was Ade Edmondson".

Ade Edmondson has said that he didn't think it was a fitting tribute and as such didn't want to be involved. 

Ade seems to be up his own arse at times. It was common knowledge with fans during their Bottom tours Rik would stand and sign autographs and take pics all the time until he was called into the building for sound checks etc, but at the same time Ade would just dodge the fans and head straight into the theatre.There were rumours that they had a little falling out when Ade pulled the plug on their Hooligan's Island series. Apparently Rik was well pissed off about it.

• Paid Members

Yeah he wanted to move into more serious territory, I thought it was common knowledge that it was Ade that quashed any Bottom returns.

*shrug* each to their own - I haven't watched the tribute show yet, but it's on my to-watch list. 

It was common knowledge about Ade not wanting to do anymore Bottom. But when his other comedy shows like Teenage Kicks flopped he changed his mind and was going to make that Hooligan's Island a Bottom spin off series. And all of a sudden he thought it was going to be shit even though the BBC gave it the green light after going through the scripts. I guess he prefered his Ade in Britain show instead.

Just a heads up the Rik Mayall tribute show is repeated again tonight at 10.30 on BBC Two.

Edited by Glass Smash

• Paid Members

Good interview with Ade in the Guardian a few months back...

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/oct/19/ade-edmondson-interview-nevilles-island-rik-mayall

Not doing the tribute.

The BBC approached him recently to take part in a tribute programme.

“I was sent the synopsis and it was all wacky and wild and…” he breaks off and sighs. “You could see it was just going to be a load of talking heads and clips, so I pulled out of that… I just think he deserves something better than that. And I think, if someone important dies, you can’t be flippant about it.”

Not wanting to do Bottom anymore.

Mayall’s death was made more difficult by the fact that the duo had not worked together for 10 years. Edmondson hadn’t wanted to retread old ground: he was proud of what they’d achieved and thought it stood on its own merits. He wanted to try different things – he formed a folk band, the Bad Shepherds, in 2008. He presented a few documentary series. Last year, he won Celebrity MasterChef. He didn’t want to reunite with Mayall just to do “a shit, late series like Morecambe and Wise”. He felt they’d had their allotted two boiled eggs, so why would they want four?

It was a decision, he says, that “confused” his writing partner: “I spent 10 years trying to explain to him why I didn’t want to work with him, you know, and it was tough.”

It looks harsher now that Rik has died, but if Ade didnt fancy it, he didnt fancy it.

I really liked the tribute. Made extra special because of talking head clips of Rik in it. The Little Richard impression and his theory on being better than Christ were hilarious highlights. I really liked Greg Davies' insight too on more recent stories about Rik, portrayed him as a really lovely guy.

• Paid Members

Just watched The Golden Child for the first time since I was a kid.

Looked up the cast to see what else they'd been in since, as you do. I had no idea that the little boy, you know the actual 'Golden Child', was a girl all along!

goldenchild.jpg

I'm sure this is common knowledge but I never had a clue. Did everyone know this?