What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Awards Moderator

I recently discovered Horrible Histories on Netflix. It's the funniest British show I've seen in years.

Do they still just have the first series on Netflix? It's the weakest by some way, believe it or not, the series just got better and better as the core group got more comfortable with each other. The songs in particular raise the bar with each series, but there are plenty of absolutely fantastic sketches (recurring and one-offs) in series 2-5. Plus plenty of guest stars - series 4 and 5 reunite the League of Gentlemen!

If they're not on Netflix, the DVDs are really cheap. And if you like them after you've got through the lot, try Yonderland. It's not quite as good but you get the actors in a non-sketch environment with a bit more creative freedom. And then they've got a film out next year about Shakespeare called 'Bill'.

I'm a bit of a Horrible Histories fanboy, sorry... In fact I've just realised my avatar is Mat Baynton's Charles II...

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Just been looking at the confirmed listings for Xmas TV and it's full of the usual rubbish soaps and repeats.  It looks like ITV have swamped their schedule with Harry Potter movies again over the festive period. Still at least Channel 4 are doing 2 Big Fat Quizzes this year.  Thank fuck for torrent sites that's all I can say.

• Paid Members

I rinsed the episodes from the new series of Brooklyn Nine-Nine very quickly, as expected.Could really do with a new comedy to watch. Any Recommendations? Doesn't necessarily have to be something new, just something I haven't seen before.

Isn't Captain Holt brilliant?

If you could tolerate a sickly combination of Modern Family and The Wonder Years then the Goldbergs pretty watchable. It's not particularly edgy but I watch it with my girlfriend and we enjoy it a lot. The dad is Jeff Garlin from Curb.

Have you seen Party Down with Adam Scott from Parks and Rec? The first series of that is really good.

• Moderators

Party Down looks right up my street. And I like the fact that it's finished so I won't be sitting around waiting for more...

The Goldbergs is more of a maybe, but looks worth a go at some point, if not top priority.

I noticed Horrible Histories on Netflix last night actually, and having seen a random episode one day that I enjoyed some time ago was thinking of giving it a go. That endorsement may well push it over the top!

Thanks!

edit - Yes. In what is a fantastic ensemble cast anyway, Cpt Holt is the stand out. Boyle in second place.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

WHERE THE FUCK IS BOND?

Skyfall  8pm Xmas Eve on ITV. Bond movies have been a Xmas TV tradition for years. Fuck Harry Potter.

That's not Bond! That's some shite masquerading as a Bond. It should be Live and Let Die on Xmas Day afternoon. Possibly The Spy Who Loved Me. 

At the age of 29 I now watch children's cartoon Adventure Time after refusing to watch Kids TV as a child. I don't care though, it's fucking awesome.

This had me chuckling for a good 5 minutes the other day.

http://youtu.be/r3hW9-d8TVE

It's great isn't it? These two videos always give me a grin when I'm in a strop.