UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

First PPV appearance, or first PPV match? Because there will be some weird ones around managers/non-wrestlers, I bet - General Adnan wrestled his first PPV match in the main event of Summerslam '91, for example. And then celebrity matches like Lawrence Taylor.

Brian Lee's Undertaker had his first and only PPV match in the main event, I think.

Are there any weird ones from Survivor Series, where someone had a short-lived run but ended up in a main eventing team? On a similar note, Brian Pillman main eventing Canadian Stampede, or Booker T at Invasion.

• Paid Members

I meant match. I nearly suggested there'd be a few in big tag matches though was thinking of some of the early Survivor Series.

Nexus is a good shout. That's more on the lines of what I was thinking too, with them being pushed straight into a main event - like Razor. Goldberg obviously counts but he came in a proven commodity so it's slightly different.

General Adnan. Fake Undertaker. Good shouts. Jesus christ.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Grecian said:

Going further back, The Patriot vs Bret Hart for the WWE title at In Your House: Ground Zero, if the IYH PPVs are counted as a 'Big PPV'.

Not having that as a main event! Taker/HBK was the main on that show, hence Bret getting stuck with the bloody Patriot!

• Paid Members

I was curious to look into it, so it's interesting that there's way more options if you explore the same question in WCW;

• Davey Boy at Slamboree '93
  • The Shockmaster at Fall Brawl '93
  • Hulk Hogan at Bash At The Beach '94
  • Brutus Beefcake at Starrcade '94
  • The Giant main eventing Halloween Havoc '95 in his first match with the company (and only his second match ever on record)
  • Z-Gangsta and the Ultimate Solution at Uncensored '96 - both seemingly their only matches with WCW
  • Roddy Piper at Starrcade '96
  • Dennis Rodman at Bash At The Beach '97
  • Karl Malone at Bash At The Beach '98
  • Jay Leno at Road Wild '98
  • Ultimate Warrior at Fall Brawl '98
  • David Arquette at Slamboree 2000

Then you have guys like Nash and Hall, and nWo Sting, main eventing their first PPV under those names, even if they'd been around under other gimmicks previously. 

It really plateaus after 1998 - when I got back into wrestling in 2000, I saw WCW as very staid and stuck in its ways, just circulating the same few main event talents around endlessly, and the WWF felt considerably more exciting. But for most of the '90s, they were clearly much quicker to hotshot a new signing or a potentially short term gimmick act into a main event slot, rather than waste time building them up. Feels like a much more territories days style of booking, on paper. Then they just went nuts with celebrities for two years.

Just now, tiger_rick said:

I meant match. I nearly suggested there'd be a few in big tag matches though was thinking of some of the early Survivor Series.

From Survivor Series '87 there was Bam Bam Bigelow, Ken Patera, Rick Rude and One Man Gang.

From Survivor Series '88, of all people, just the Red Rooster.

Although it never went on last, the Hulkamaniacs vs Million Dollar Team received top billing in all the advertising for 1989.  No-one in that match was making their first PPV appearance, however Zeus did make his PPV debut in the Summerslam main event.  To tie in with @BomberPat's post, that means Zeus made both his WWF and WCW PPV debuts in main events.  To go even more statto, providing there are no obscure dark matches that no-one knows about, Zeus only wrestled four matches in the WWF and WCW, every one of them in PPV main events.

Similarly to the previous year, even though it never went on last, I'd say the Hogan match was the main event in 1990, which adds Tugboat to the list.

Edited by Magnum Milano

2 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Zeus did make his PPV debut in the Summerslam main event.  To tie in with @BomberPat's post, that means Zeus made both his WWF and WCW PPV debuts in main events.  To go even more statto, providing there are no obscure dark matches that no-one knows about, Zeus only wrestled four matches in the WWF and WCW, every one of them in PPV main events.

Evidence, if it were needed, that Zeus is the greatest heel in the history of professional wrestling.

Just watching a Nick Aldis interview on Youtube. He mentions that somebody in WWE decided that they wanted nothing to do with him due to a personal dispute, and that there is no way to approach / resolve the issue. He gives this as the reason that he looked for other avenues within the wrestling business. I'm totally out of the loop and have no idea what he's referring to here. Can anyone tell the story?

7 hours ago, Richie Freebird said:

Just watching a Nick Aldis interview on Youtube. He mentions that somebody in WWE decided that they wanted nothing to do with him due to a personal dispute, and that there is no way to approach / resolve the issue. He gives this as the reason that he looked for other avenues within the wrestling business. I'm totally out of the loop and have no idea what he's referring to here. Can anyone tell the story?

How old is the interview? Wasn't there some issue with Mickie going back there at one point because of Cena and the unpleasantness? Obviously she's been back since, so whatever it was has blown over. Could be related to that, or I could be talking bollocks.