UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

Bret vs Doink then Jerry Lawler from SummerSlam 93 ticks a lot of boxes. Good wrestling, a story told, Lawler being an amazing cock end, Bruce Hart being made to look a pillock.

This is a REALLY random one but has bugged me for ages. When I was a young 'un, I bought a wrestling magazine and there was a 4 or 6 page bit just about the Pillman/Liger feud, how their style was crazy and dives to the outside was ruining wrestling. I thought it was PWI but it appears not after checking the covers of what they did at that time. Can anyone think what wrestling magazines would have been available in the UK about 91?

• Paid Members

This is a REALLY random one but has bugged me for ages. When I was a young 'un, I bought a wrestling magazine and there was a 4 or 6 page bit just about the Pillman/Liger feud, how their style was crazy and dives to the outside was ruining wrestling. I thought it was PWI but it appears not after checking the covers of what they did at that time. Can anyone think what wrestling magazines would have been available in the UK about 91?

The original WCW Magazine was definitely on the go over here then.

Jeez - there were loads. PWI, The Wrestler, Inside Wrestling, Wrestling USA, Wrestling Eye, Sports Review Wrestling, Wrestling Fury, Gold Belt Wrestling, Wrestling Superstars and Wrestling All Stars - they were just a few you could get during that first UK boom period.

• Paid Members

The original WCW Magazine was definitely on the go over here then.

Yeah, if it was colour photos, it was probably WCW Magazine.

• Paid Members

Who is running Smackdown in storyline? Shane is running Raw, and that makes no sense, but is The Authority still running Smackdown, just not on TV? Or should I just not think about it?

Smackdown kinda runs itself.

Kane was effectively GM when he was Director of Operations or whatever it was, but since then it's not really had an authority figure presence on screen.

It's better for it, I think - it's presented as a card of matches laid out in advance (presumably still by The Authority) rather than everyone turning up in gear and finding out "your opponent... Right now... Will be... THIS MAN!"

• Paid Members

But the matches on Smackdown seem to follow the storylines laid out on Raw, which have been put in motion by Shane. If the Authority is running Smackdown, why do they go along with what Shane is doing on Raw? This whole thing makes zero sense man.

On-screen show booking has seldom made sense anyway. The "THIS MAN" surprise booking almost never makes any sense at all. Let's go and talk about how I'm beating Dean Ambrose at SummerSlam, but keep Mark Henry by the curtain in case Dolph Ziggler interrupts me.

It's odd that they specified Shane having control of Raw. Did they ever even explain how Vince got his power back after that time Triple H tearfully put him out to pasture a few years back?

Watching 1998 Raw's keeps opening up new questions for me.

1. What happened to Raw after SummerSlam 1998? There were a few shows there that were like shitty pre-taped things without the proper set and they had time slot changes. Was it to do with the dog show, or launching Heat, or something else?

2. It seems like there were never more than a few weeks without doing a fake DX split and an "lol not really" resolution. Where I'm up to, it's a bit where Billy Gunn was having singles matches because Road Dogg had a sunburnt neck, then Billy walked out on DX, then came back and made up. Was there stuff on Heat that made more sense of it? Were there plans to split the group up that got cancelled or was it all for the sake of two weeks of drama?

• Paid Members

Watching 1998 Raw's keeps opening up new questions for me.

1. What happened to Raw after SummerSlam 1998? There were a few shows there that were like shitty pre-taped things without the proper set and they had time slot changes. Was it to do with the dog show, or launching Heat, or something else?

US Open always pre-empted Raw that time of year on USA Network so could be down to that.

Aside from the back injury suffered in the plane crash in the 70's, did Ric Flair ever miss any long periods of time in the ring due to injury?

I don't remember hearing about any serious injuries right through to his retirement.