UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

When did Billy Gunn start using the Fame-Asser as his finisher? I'm watching a Raw from September 1998 and he's done it as a mid-match move on Jeff Jarrett, then picked him up to trade punches.

I think by then he'd won a few tag matches with it back when they only referred to it as a "Rocker Dropper" but it was only when he was having regular singles matches again that it was sold as a proper finish. When he pinned Bobcore for the Hardcore title on the Russo-tastic Mania 15-fucking around Raw was the first time I noticed Michael Cole shriek "The Fame-Asser!" and so thought "Well, it's a proper finisher now. They've named it."

Anyone who's currently following the indy scene, what's the scene looking like, what style of wrestling is popular, and what are they doing to differentiate themselves from WWE? I haven't followed any indy feds outside of Lucha Underground in years now. Back when I did, it was when ROH was on fire and they were building shows around the quality of the in-ring wrestling, at a time when WWE wasn't really about that. Now you can see half a dozen quality wrestling matches in WWE each week, I'm assuming the main indy companies have had to introduce a new style or evolved in some way to give people a reason to watch them. Add to that, most of their stars from the 00's are either in NXT, on Raw or have retired now. Does it look like they're bringing up the next group of Daniel Bryans, CM Punks, AJ Styles etc?

We all know how ECW changed wrestling in the 90's and how ROH (mainly) changed wrestling in the 00's - I was wondering recently whether Lucha Underground will be the next game changer, and 5-10 years from now we'll be seeing WWE producing the 'drama TV' (struggling to find the right description) that LU have mastered.

Ever randomly remember a moment from back in the day and swear you've imagined them? No one I've mentioned this to remembers it, so I'm starting to think it was a weird dream. It involved Mark Henry in backstage segments and whoever he was with asked why he smelt funny, to which Mizark replies 'That's mah stank!'. Am I going nuts or was this really a thing?!

• Paid Members

I think he'd always done it, I recall seeing him perform the move back when he was in the Smoking gunns, not sure when it became his finish though.

Did Billy Gunn ever use a "Million Dollar Dream" hold into a slam move as his finish when he was "The One", or am I imagining that?

• Awards Moderator

I think he'd always done it, I recall seeing him perform the move back when he was in the Smoking gunns, not sure when it became his finish though.

Did Billy Gunn ever use a "Million Dollar Dream" hold into a slam move as his finish when he was "The One", or am I imagining that?

"The One and Only".

What was the general consensus on the WWF around 2000-2001 (pre invasion) I was a big wrestling fan but not online. Who were the darlings and who were hated. I recently heard about fat-taker and realised I don't know much about this time from the online community perspective. Anywhere I can find reviews and old comments?

• Awards Moderator

What was the general consensus on the WWF around 2000-2001 (pre invasion) I was a big wrestling fan but not online. Who were the darlings and who were hated. I recently heard about fat-taker and realised I don't know much about this time from the online community perspective. Anywhere I can find reviews and old comments?

Most of it has been binned. Your best bet is to use Google Groups search and trawl RSPW (rec.sports.pro.wrestling) for the time period. I think bAz was a member there.

Here's a couple I found:.

General WCW / ECW merging annoyance

Why midcard feuds suck (no PIP apparently)

Save the WWF

Why are they not using Flair and Scott Hall?

You can waste days and days trawling that stuff... you'll soon find out that wrestling fans have always been the same. Not the advent of broadband as pitcos says, they just needed somewhere to mob.

EDIT: I just found this:

Fine but I think Hall is essential too...

Only if he goes back to being Razor Ramon. His WCW career was nothing to write

home about.

:laugh:

Edited by Onyx2

Brilliant stuff Onxy. On why the midcard sucked:

"Funny, when the midcard starts going to hell, I stop caring.    Can't they put

some writers to focus story lines around the mid-card at all?

Also, when Beniot is out of action, I also stop caring"

- - -

"These days, it's either the main event feuds or nothing.  The upcoming
Edge/Christian feud is showing a lot of potential, but that's about it
right now.

What is the deal with midcard feuds sucking so much these days?"

• Paid Members

I used to read the internet and PowerSlam then but never really posted in one place. I remember there being a lot of complaining about the WWF not pushing Jericho and not following up on the hot debut of the Radicalz. Particularly Benoit losing to HHH (on his debut?) There wasn't a lot not to like in 2000 but that came up.

Steve Austin's return from injury was looked forward to and then immediately shat on. In fact, I remember a lot of complaints about the top of the card being stale, certainly into 2001, with the feeling that everything had been done and the Jericho's and Benoit's needed to be properly elevated.

Oh, and Taz was wasted!