UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

So after years and years of living off what I earn each fortnight, rarely having enough spare cash to even get out of the shitty town I'm in, let alone treat myself - I'll be inheriting ten Fucking grand soon!

Recommend me the best/hottest BritWres cards of the year! We seem to have a really hot scene atm, but I don't look too much as I'm so used to not being able to do shit. Where should I go as a UK indy 'beginner'? What's more-or-less a guaranteed good time?

Imports would help the cause, but there are plenty of UK names I've clocked who I've really wanted to see.

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

Recommend me the best/hottest BritWres cards of the year! We seem to have a really hot scene atm, but I don't look too much as I'm so used to not being able to do shit. Where should I go as a UK indy 'beginner'? What's more-or-less a guaranteed good time?

Imports would help the cause, but there are plenty of UK names I've clocked who I've really wanted to see.

PCW, PROGRESS and ICW are usually referred to as "the big three", especially in the whole 'pro wrestling for grown ups' type shows you get these days (that are more like a night out or a rock gig, usually held in nightclubs or music venues, with mainly standing audiences and a lot of drinking and crowd interaction).

PCW have big import-laden supershow weekenders in April and November, as well as other monthly shows (usually with around 3+ imports too) in nightclubs in Preston, Blackpool and Liverpool.

ICW have monthly shows as well as a couple of UK-wide tours each year. They're to the annual 'Fear & Loathing' megashow in November, this time at the 12,000 capacity Hydro in Glasgow.

PROGRESS run monthly in London, every 2 months in Manchester and are building to their biggest show in Brixton in September. At a capacity of 2,000, it'll likely be the biggest non-WWE, non-TNA, non-All Star and non-holiday camp attendance at an English wrestling event since Universal Uproar in 2005.

Aside from the 'big three', Revolution Pro Wrestling put on a few 'big' shows each year too, featuring the cream of NJPW and US indie guests. They are running a sports hall in Reading in 2 weeks, as well as big shows at famous London boxing venue York Hall in June and July. They'll probably have something big in October too, as well as family-friendly 'house shows' in Portsmouth, Southampton, Sittingbourne and Hoddesdon.

Southside Wrestling (Cambs, Herts & Notts), NGW (Yorkshire & Liverpool) are then probably you're next biggest high profile promotions.

PCW, PROGRESS and ICW are usually referred to as "the big three", especially in the whole 'pro wrestling for grown ups' type shows you get these days (that are more like a night out or a rock gig, usually held in nightclubs or music venues, with mainly standing audiences and a lot of drinking and crowd interaction).

PCW have big import-laden supershow weekenders in April and November, as well as other monthly shows (usually with around 3+ imports too) in nightclubs in Preston, Blackpool and Liverpool.

ICW have monthly shows as well as a couple of UK-wide tours each year. They're to the annual 'Fear & Loathing' megashow in November, this time at the 12,000 capacity Hydro in Glasgow.

PROGRESS run monthly in London, every 2 months in Manchester and are building to their biggest show in Brixton in September. At a capacity of 2,000, it'll likely be the biggest non-WWE, non-TNA, non-All Star and non-holiday camp attendance at an English wrestling event since Universal Uproar in 2005.

Aside from the 'big three', Revolution Pro Wrestling put on a few 'big' shows each year too, featuring the cream of NJPW and US indie guests. They are running a sports hall in Reading in 2 weeks, as well as big shows at famous London boxing venue York Hall in June and July. They'll probably have something big in October too, as well as family-friendly 'house shows' in Portsmouth, Southampton, Sittingbourne and Hoddesdon.

Southside Wrestling (Cambs, Herts & Notts), NGW (Yorkshire & Liverpool) are then probably you're next biggest high profile promotions.

Not to be pedantic, but didn't ICW draw 4,000 to Fear & Loathing just last year?

EDIT: Ignore, I misread that you'd specified English as opposed to British

Edited by WyattSheepMask

exactly the kind of rundown I was after. Thanks mate :)

When did John Cena go from cheers to boos roughly? Was he being booed on SmackDown and it was being edited out or did it not start till he moved to RAW?

Reason I ask is I remember someone on here saying he was booed on SD before being drafted but on draft night it seems like universal cheers from watching on the Network.

On a side opinion, Christian was great around this time.

• Paid Members

When did John Cena go from cheers to boos roughly? Was he being booed on SmackDown and it was being edited out or did it not start till he moved to RAW?

He went lukewarm on SmackDown shortly before being drafted but he wasn't really being booed. The reaction to him at Mania 21 shows you where he was up to, it was kind of like "Oh, Cena. Eh." out of some of the audience. Once he was drafted things started to turn. People seemed desperate to cheer Christian over him and even getting heel Jericho involved didn't stem the tide. Getting programmed against respected vets like Shawn and Kurt really fucked him.

I tend to think of SummerSlam '05 as where it really started. But I also remember two months earlier when they had Michael Cole and the Coach broadcasting Extreme Sunday Night Heat from the Hammerstein Ballroom as a warm-up for the first One Night Stand; the ECW fans chanted 'FUCK JOHN CENA' among other things.

It was the first time they broadcast an undeniably anti-Cena crowd, that I was aware of.

I tend to think of SummerSlam '05 as where it really started. But I also remember two months earlier when they had Michael Cole and the Coach broadcasting Extreme Sunday Night Heat from the Hammerstein Ballroom as a warm-up for the first One Night Stand; the ECW fans chanted 'FUCK JOHN CENA' among other things.

It was the first time they broadcast an undeniably anti-Cena crowd, that I was aware of.

Yeah, i think it started around the first One Night Stand, because that made it 'cool' to hate Cena. The red hot anti-Cena/pro-ECW crowd was something to behold on the broadcast. And with that show being such a big thing at the time in terms of presentation and opinion, disliking Cena was something a lot of of people jumped on the bandwagon for.

Yeah, i think it started around the first One Night Stand, because that made it 'cool' to hate Cena. The red hot anti-Cena/pro-ECW crowd was something to behold on the broadcast. And with that show being such a big thing at the time in terms of presentation and opinion, disliking Cena was something a lot of of people jumped on the bandwagon for.

Are you thinking of the second One Night Stand when Cena faced RVD? Because that was one year later, at which point the boos for Cena had long been an acknowledged part of the show.

The fans at Extreme Heat were chanting Fuck John Cena even though he had nothing to do with the show. I haven't seen footage of it since, but I distinctly remember it was Coach and Cole presenting the show from a raised plinth in the lobby of the Hammerstein surrounded by bevvy heads shouting all kinds at them. It was pretty surreal, and you couldn't help but feel bad for them.

Edit: I can't find video of it anywhere, but this website has a brief write-up and mentions that "fans in the lobby of the Hammerstein Ballroom chanted "Shut The F*** Up" at Coachman and Cole as they opened the show. Later then chanted "You Suck D***" at Coachman." No mention of anti-Cena chants, but I remember them.

Edited by Pinc