UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

In fairness, the answers to the vast majority of questions in this thread could be found by searching on Google. It's definitely more fun asking it in here though as you often get extra information in the answer.

It doesn't even answer it. They had a match on Nitro. Was that a big deal? Was it announced ten minutes before or an hour before? Did it have a finish? People on here know.

• Paid Members

They had a match on Nitro in 1999 but I didn't remember it being built up as anything big. I vaguely even remember the match. Watching the promo in this little clip, it wasn't even advertised or built up at all as Flair challenges him to a match for later that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=172JP6CiyEA

The chop at around 1:25, and both Goldberg and Flair's reaction, is quality. Fucking love that.

So the crowd turned up not knowing they were going to see Goldberg vs Flair that night. I don't remember them having another televised singles match in WCW (they had one in WWE on Raw in '03), so yeah, I don't think WCW ever did do a 'big' match between the two. This was the days when matches like that happened as throwaway TV matches all the time though. WCW gave away the first ever Sting vs Goldberg match on Nitro as well. The first Hulk Hogan vs Bret Hart match was another one. And a load of others like the first Hogan vs Sting match in late 1995. That one always baffled me because I saw Hogan vs Sting as a genuine dream match when they were both the big babyface heroes in WWF and WCW respectively in the early 90s. You'd think that the first Hogan vs Sting match would be a Starrcade main event. Not a quick Nitro segment with an Ed Leslie and Hugh Morrus run-in. The weekly ratings number was everything back then. So many potential huge PPV matches were spunked away on free TV. I loved it at the time because you'd tune in and you could flit from anything from Steve McMichael vs Horace Hogan to fucking Warrior and Sting vs Hogan and Hart. It really was a mental time to be a wrestling fan.

• Paid Members

What's the highest number of pinfalls/submissions there's ever been in one match? A Survivor Series match would have a maximum of 9, but has there ever been an Iron Man or Gauntlet match with more?

I saw a match at an FWA Academy show with fifteen falls once. It was 2 out of 3 but with a ten minute Iron Man for the third fall which finished 7-6. It was a lot better than it sounds!

Just musing - it could be argued that the whole 24/7 Hardcore Title run was one long match, maybe??

I'd argue against - for a match to be an actual match I'd argue it needs a bell to start.  not sure what I'd count the 24/7 thing as!?

Edit: or at least some sort of 'formal' structure rather than a sneak attack with a pinfall

Edited by Ian 86