Official Darts Thread

Dai

• Paid Members

Dredging up the darts thread after more than a year of non-activity, sure.

I was staying in a hotel on Saturday, had every intention to catch a couple of hours' sleep as soon as I checked in, but switched the telly on and caught the final of the BDO women's World Championship on Quest TV (what?). Darts is pretty much the only sport that I will be utterly transfixed by if it's on the telly, so had to watch it. 

Did anyone else catch it? Honestly the most astonishing game of darts I've ever watched.

Mikuru Suzuki beat Lorraine Winstanley 3-0, throwing a 90 average, two back-to-back 180s, only lost two legs in the final, and didn't drop a single set in any of her games leading up to. Just absolutely unstoppable. Apparently her background is in soft-tip, and according to Wiki she's only been competing since 2016, so it's mindblowing quite how good she is.

I've never particularly followed the ladies' game, but definitely going to be keeping an eye on whenever I can catch her playing, she's just become my new favourite player.

Also, it led to Paul Nicholson on commentary saying, "the only comparison I can think of is a wrestler jumping from New Japan to the WWE, entering the Royal Rumble and winning at Wrestlemania", to complete bemusement from the other commentators.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Also, it led to Paul Nicholson on commentary saying, "the only comparison I can think of is a wrestler jumping from New Japan to the WWE, entering the Royal Rumble and winning at Wrestlemania", to complete bemusement from the other commentators.

He does that fairly often, which is hardly surprising given his CM Punk cosplay entrance he used to do when he was playing in the PDC. 

8 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

The commentary was awful during the whole BDO Worlds. Made Mardle tolerable. 

I didn't think it was that bad to be fair, although appreciate that Nicholson can be pretty divisive.  I'll take him though, someone who is genuinely enthusiastic, interested and clearly does his research, over the likes of Vassos Alexander or Tony Green who used to dominate the Beeb's coverage.  Georgie BIngham wasn't great and I'm not sure what this fascination is of having to have a female interviewer for the arrows (before Georgie there was the likes of Seema Jaswal, Caroline Barker, even Rio from Gladiators at one point!).  Wolfie appeared to be on a week's jolly to see his mates and added nothing, no difference to Bobby George in that regard then!  On the whole though, it was a vast improvement to what the BBC had been dishing out for years though and thankfully no interviews from the player's bar!

I usually enjoy the BDO as an alternative to the PDC. Its a nice watch and you get some emerging talent to look out for. However, this year it was the utter dregs bar Durrant (who rightfully won it) The amateur game is incredibly important but..they need to do something to raise the competition. 

• Moderators

Yeah, this was easily the worst BDO World Championship field ever for me.

4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Honestly the most astonishing game of darts I've ever watched.

Even moreso than Taylor vs RVB 2007, or Adams vs Nixon?

• Moderators

This years Q-school attendees so far.

https://tv.dartconnect.com/eventplayers/pdcukqs19

Chuffed to see my mate Daf Edwards going for  one, hope he gets one. Because I can brag then about hwo I beat him in league darts. Durrant and Waites have also officially thrown their hats in the ring to try and enter the real darts.

A few women are enetring too. Winstansley, Sherrock, Ashton, and Ana

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Chuffed to see my mate Daf Edwards going for  one, hope he gets one. Because I can brag then about hwo I beat him in league darts

I’m the same but with Andre McGill. I’ve played him a few times, most recently last Thursday and I’m joining his team next season as he’s leaving. 

Durrant should definitely get a card. He was unfortunate not to progress further in last years Grand Slam. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

• Moderators
5 hours ago, mim731 said:

He does that fairly often, which is hardly surprising given his CM Punk cosplay entrance he used to do when he was playing in the PDC. 

I spend the swathes of his commentary wishing he'd shut the fuck about wrestling and it was a bit cringey to be honest. If I find it annoying, how annoying must people who don't like wrestling find it? 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, mim731 said:

Always thought it was a bit cringe tbh.

While I’ve been watching some of the BDO, I’ve been more transfixed by episodes of the Indoor League on some obscure sports channel on Sky called Front Runner.

Has anyone else watched it? I remember my Dad mentinoning it as the forerunner to televised Darts tournaments on TV but its a thing of pure joy.

Last night’s episode, which I Sky plused, was from 1976 and featured some arm wrestling from a Leeds working mens club, a darts match between two women called Jean and Barbara and Leighton Rees’ first TV apperance.

It looks like something that would be right up @PowerButchi‘s street tbh.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, mim731 said:

I hope he realised there wasn't a single person watching that who didn't think, "What an absolute fucking tosser."

On 1/14/2019 at 5:27 PM, PowerButchi said:

This years Q-school attendees so far.

https://tv.dartconnect.com/eventplayers/pdcukqs19

Chuffed to see my mate Daf Edwards going for  one, hope he gets one. Because I can brag then about hwo I beat him in league darts. Durrant and Waites have also officially thrown their hats in the ring to try and enter the real darts.

A few women are enetring too. Winstansley, Sherrock, Ashton, and Ana

Good luck to your mate Butch. My friend's younger brother managed to get his card last year along with Aspinall, Joyce and a few more but it was absolutely brutal. Was best of 9 legs all the way through and unseeded so you could easily draw a 'biggie' like Kevin Painter or John Part first round.

All the young guys are like robots these days, especially on the floor events without the pressure of the big stage, cameras and the lighting; just pummeling the treble 20.

I reckon Durrant will be able to make a decent living off the PDC, maybe around the level of a King or Bunting in terms of switching over. Can't see him troubling the big guns but you never know, playing against top rate players on a more consistent basis might kick him on a level and make him better himself. Can't see Waites or McGeeney doing much but would gladly be proved wrong.