Official Darts Thread

Dai

On 1/21/2019 at 4:09 PM, PowerButchi said:

Ian White would probably have been a better example.

About the only thing more embarrassing than Peter Wright's entrance is Ian White's 'Dab'.  Not only is it about three years ago, it still gets absolutely zero response from the crowd.  Just knock it on the head pal!

Mikuru Suzuki and Lisa Ashton have both got awful groups for the Grand Slam. Suzuki opening against defending champion Price (she may get something off Bob Thornton), while Ashton takes on Rob Cross (in a group that also includes Dave Chisnall and Jamie Hughes).

Edited by Magnum Milano

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I've got to admit that I read that as Minoru Suzuki and was imagining a very different darts match. 

Would love to see his reaction to Price giving it the bigun. 

Here’s the official draw. Group H has been called the group of death. Smith will struggle to get out as he’s completely lost his bottle lately. Can’t see past MVG or Price winning it. 

The nature of qualifying for this event has become a joke. It needs an overhaul. 

• 1 month later...

I was amazed by the stat that it was his first time reaching the last sixteen in 15 years.  Pretty amazing for someone who's been a permanent fixture in the top 32 since he joined the PDC.  Think his lack of consistency will be his undoing, threw some cracking darts at optimum times last night but some utter dirge too.

Missed the MVG game last night (my bloody steam went out) but Evans seems more interested in playing the clown as opposed to playing Darts.  He was never going to be able to keep the same walk-on music he had in the BDO (Fatpot Lewis already has it) but Christ, could Duzza not think of anything better than Robbie Williams' Angels?

Suppose better mention Fallon Sherrock, although the crowd were absolutely hideous during the Suljovic game.  I do wish Mikuru would've won her game though as I really like her.  Hope Uncle Bazza sorts her out a place in one of the Asian World Series events like he has done Fallon for the U.S. event.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Seen the state of this from the BDO? Only sold 15% of tickets available for the worlds at the new venue in the O2. Spent 200k with a company tasked with bringing in sponsorship but they've delivered nothing due to the "toxic" BDO brand. Prize money has been cut in half and Jacklin is basically begging players to play anyway at this stage.

• Paid Members

Sorry for the double post but Butchi posted the same time as me. Fallon would’ve made that money if she stayed in. But with her getting to play every World Series event next year for the pdc, most likely getting a contenders premier league place and going in to Q School confident of getting a tour card, I don’t blame her for pulling out. 

They're gonna need to change their mobile numbers too now they're on the internet which from a business perspective 5 days out from their biggest event of the year will be a nightmare.

It's a shame as for me the lakeside was always the home of "real darts". I was already concerned about the venue change and the rumours of 10% ticket sales however I can genuinely see this being cancelled before it starts.

Lakeside IS the spiritual home of darts. Never more so than when in the county youth final, Warwickshire captain Keith “DartBreak Kid” Houchen won his match with a 14 darter. Later that day, Scott Rand won the singles and decked a sore losing Wayne Mardle with one punch. 

Just now, TheBurningRed said:

Sorry for the double post but Butchi posted the same time as me. Fallon would’ve made that money if she stayed in. But with her getting to play every World Series event next year for the pdc, most likely getting a contenders premier league place and going in to Q School confident of getting a tour card, I don’t blame her for pulling out. 

Fallon has got nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing in the BDO Worlds.  She's already said what she achieved on the Ally Pally stage means more than potentially winning the Women's World championship.  At the moment she's the face of women's darts.  The day after her victory over Ted Evetts she was on BBC News, Good Morning Britain, it was constant media throughout the day, she even had Billie Jean King tweeting her!  Say she lost in the first round of the BDO (a distinct possibility as she was drawn against 2017 runner up Corrine Hammond), while I doubt Hearn wouldn't pull her from the World Series, a little bit of shine would've gone from her.  And really, anything less than winning the thing would be seen as a disappoinment (and she had a real tricky route Hammond first round, Hedman quarters (yeah, I know she's a constant choker), Ashton/Winstanley semis, Suzuki/Greaves final).  Who knows how long this will last for her, but at the moment can't blame her for trying to maximise her potential earnings, and that is with the PDC, not the shower of shite that is the BDO.

• Paid Members

@Magnum Milano Agree with you there. I’m sure she thought about it, as others did, that after all she done at the pdc worlds she’d potentially end up going out first round to Corrine Hammond and not averaging nowhere near the 90 plus she got against Ted and Mensur. And she’d have nowhere near the crowd support pushing her on at the indigo with 50 people watching. I think prize money being cut was just an easy route out. 

The women’s BDO is far more interesting this year than the men’s with far better players imo. Only one of the men’s I can see winning is Jim Williams. He just has to this year. Or he’s never going to.