Official Darts Thread

Dai

3 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Still blows my mind how the BDO, given its present state and diminished prize money, decided to drop the word 'darts' instead of 'professional' from the title.

So they should be called the 'BO' now..

It's not really a 'World' Championship either. Considering it's not recognised by the WDF anymore, and it's not on TV outside of the UK

Edited by deathrides

8 minutes ago, deathrides said:

So they should be called the 'BO' now..

It's not really a 'World' Championship either. Considering it's not recognised by the WDF anymore, and it's not on TV outside of the UK

Well, Hankey has seemingly quit so the initials are vacant.  And regarding "World", this is a wrestling board so wrestling rules apply, I've won a few world titles in pubs let me tell you!

30 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Would be some miracle him winning the youth championship. 

It took me about thirty seconds to process that!  Would be interesting to see the ghost of big Leighton up there!

Hardly gone out on a limb with any of those predictions (clearly meaning Bennett) and covered all bases when it comes to the Women's event.

• Paid Members

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2020/01/04/players-lied-trying-get-quid-says-tony-martin-bdo-womens-world-championship-prize-money-fundraiser-12000655/amp/

Tony Martin talking about the prize money fiasco and trying to raise funds for the women’s prize money. I enjoyed this quote;

Players have been told by the chairman [Des Jacklin] that tickets have started being sold for 2021, but half of them don’t believe it”

More than half of them shouldn’t believe him after this years turnout so far. The fact the audience seems to be plunged into darkness  when play starts to hide the low attendance says it all. Its been mostly a shit show today. Scores and graphics all over the place. Some awful averages. And Paul Nicholson trying his best bullshit to sound like he’s enjoying it - “105 averages and 85% checkouts bore me”.

Only player who actually had a good throwing action was Beau Greaves. She turns 16 next week and will be competing at Q School as she’ll be eligible by then. She’ll get better competition and experience in that than the BDO worlds. And possibly coming in with a lot of confidence if she gets far/wins it.  

Yeah, I saw the interview with Greaves where she said she was going to Q-School.  That's her, Sherrock, Suzuki and Hedman who I have seen all confirmed as going, got to think the likes of Ashton, Anastasia, Winstanley and maybe Hammond (she's close with Fallon) will also be giving it a shot.

Talking of Fallon, see she was doing some glorified exhibition in Germany last night with Phil Taylor!

• Paid Members

That’s the celebrity doubles World Cup in Germany yesterday where her partner was ex footballer Luca Toni. He couldn’t take out a checkout of 7 and they then lost and were knocked out. 

What a ride she’s been on since beating Ted and Mensur. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

The fact the audience seems to be plunged into darkness  when play starts to hide the low attendance says it all. Its been mostly a shit show today. Scores and graphics all over the place. Some awful averages. And Paul Nicholson trying his best bullshit to sound like he’s enjoying it - “105 averages and 85% checkouts bore me”. 

The lack of consistency is what's hard to get used to. The Jim Williams game last night was turgid in terms of quality on the whole. Both could hit 140s and even 180s but you were just as likely to see 24 dart legs and scores of 26, 41 etc. 

I must say that the voice of John Gwynne, a veteran of several PDC tournaments, does add some legitimacy though.

This pic sums up the afternoon's session so far! 

IMG_20200105_134700.jpg

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

And Jim got away with it. Those tiebreaker legs, he struggled to hit a treble and was just getting down with a score of 60. Which is good for a pub level, not for someone who’s tipped to win this and is going to Q School afterwards. He was also hitting 41s and 43s and it’s just so hard to watch. 

John Gwynne is the only commentator who isn’t irritating. With John Rawling being the absolute worst whenever he’s doing darts. 

• Paid Members
Just now, TheBurningRed said:

And Jim got away with it. Those tiebreaker legs, he struggled to hit a treble and was just getting down with a score of 60. Which is good for a pub level, not for someone who’s tipped to win this and is going to Q School afterwards. He was also hitting 41s and 43s and it’s just so hard to watch. 

They do say that the first round is the hardest, so I hope he can relax a bit now. But yeah, he didn't seem to settle at all and could have easily lost that game at several points. 

As you said, couldn't hit a treble for love nor money and will do nothing at Q School playing like that.