Official Darts Thread

Dai

• Paid Members

Sky surely can’t hire Laura Turner again for commentary and punditry. I hadn’t seen her play but thought she might be decent. First outing the other day was bad, but this afternoons was dreadful. 61 average. In the first throw of the entire game, she put it over the double 1. Corrine Hammond beat her in a 43 leg match winning on double 1. Real dog and duck stuff there. 

Jim Williams as the man tipped to win it doesn’t look likely the way he’s playing and looks like he’s gonna have a panic attack at any moment. I fear the weirdo farmer Scott Mitchell might win come Sunday before the trophy gets repossessed straight away by Paul Bohill in a Cant Pay, We’ll Take It Away crossover to cover Des Jacklins mounting debts. 

Just now, TheBurningRed said:

Sky surely can’t hire Laura Turner again for commentary and punditry. I hadn’t seen her play but thought she might be decent. First outing the other day was bad, but this afternoons was dreadful. 61 average. In the first throw of the entire game, she put it over the double 1. Corrine Hammond beat her in a 43 leg match winning on double 1. Real dog and duck stuff there. 

WtTeKaq.jpg

(Un)fortunately I missed this game, getting back in just as Hammond was giving her post-match interview.  

Greaves vs De Graaf was a good, probably the best of the women's tournament so far.  I'm sticking with Suzuki, but would not be surprised one jot if Greaves wins the whole thing.  The female caller was shocking though, several times she corrected herself, had to be corrected by Greaves at one point, got a score wrong (prior to De Graaf checking out so nothing that major) and on more than one occasion the player was telling her what they scored as she seemed to have an inability to count.  Made Rab Butler look competent did Kerry the Calculator!

• Paid Members

Greaves vs De Graaf was enjoyable. Played at a good pace. De Graaf took out a nice 126 to win a set with Greaves on 58 I think. Caller was terrible though. Greaves hit 80 with a 42, 20 and 18 and it took far longer than it should’ve for her to count it up. 

That’s the sort of game, and probably the Suzuki vs Anastasia game later on where the women’s quarters should be first to 3 sets. But then you get Turner vs Hammond and that’s more than enough with first to two. 

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

I don't think it makes a difference tbh. She's well spoken and I didn't mind her punditry/commentary during the PDC really.

No one else really springs to mind as a likely candidate, given the penchant for female voices on sports programmes these days.

The BDO standard is incredibly frustrating. I don't get too hung up on the quality of darts on the whole, but the general inconsistency in the BDO is very frustrating. So many instances in this tournament of excellent legs/sets being followed up by some absolute "I could do that" dogshit.

Laura Turner was brilliant commentating and as a pundit. Don't need to be the best player in the world for that. 

Hopefully she can earn enough money from that work to cut down her other job and increase the time she can practice and improve further if that suits her!

4 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Even when the BDO dies, he’s always got the UK open qualifiers to win at Riley’s until the day he stops playing.

Knocked out lewis and Anderson a few years ago didn't he.

He will have had a weird career if he wins. Started back in the Bristow era, before people had even heard of Phil Taylor. Made his debut in the 1995 Worlds and got to the quarters, but has only made sporadic appearences and never really been a contender.

Funnily enough this years PDC winner also made his World Championship debut in 1995. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, deathrides said:

Knocked out lewis and Anderson a few years ago didn't he.

John Part too. Couple of last 16 appearances as well. Unlucky not to make the quarters one year. With the UK open and it’s no seeding drawing system, he’s always going to get a good run especially coming up against some of the shit tour card holders. 

Not quite as bad as when Georgie Bingham was interviewing Wayne Warren the other year and some serial killer looking dude was stood behind her with a sign saying "F*ck her in the pussy", but more class from the BDO fans!

EN87NYcWoAU3cDF.jpg

Disappointing stuff from Paul Hogan, averaging 25 points less than yesterday at one point.  Very happy Mikuru won, Greaves will be kicking herself over busting 51 with the set at her mercy and despite coming back strong in the second fell apart in the third. Not sure how she will do at Q-School, will be good experience if nothing else.  That female caller was dreadful yet again.