Official Darts Thread

Dai

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Is he JustinCredible under a new name? I've lurked on TDF on and off for years.

No. JustinCredible is much angrier all of the time. He’s still got his blog I think with his knob of the week. I don’t think Ross Bob even watches darts that much. He’s there for a wind up. 

HalloweenJack is by far the worst and worth signing up and immediately blocking so you don’t have to deal with his posts. 

I've found myself spending more and more time this World championships on TDF.  First darts forum I ever visited was TSOD, however the vast majority of posts there these days tends to be the posters just hurling insults at one another and less about the darts.  TDF does suffer similarly, yet it is nowhere near as bad and there is at least more discussion going on about the darts, even if posts can get pretty offensive, plus I do find a fair bit of the commentary from folk funny.

In regards to the Worlds, I've tended to be picking and choosing what matches I watch and haven't watched any full sessions.  You can usually find someone streaming it on YouTube or Twitch so that's where I've been.  I was gutted for Scott Waites against Aspinall, but it was a total bottle job on his part with those three in hand at D10.  Looking at the quarters I do think it is still quite open.  Gurney has been playing the best he has all year, so Price winning is no formality, and I would expect Anderson or Dirk to give Van Gerwen a game in the semi (Chisnall will roll over like he always does).  Bunting/Ratajski is a toss up, although I would like the Pole to do well.  After all that, watch it be a MVG/Price final.

I actually cannot stand TSOD, I only had an account when I joined to be a marker. It's actually a disgrace how a forum can allow such constant petulant arguments to derail the entire forum. I mean we have some crossed words here, but there it is beyond immature, can just imagine the saddos sitting there trying to come up with insults for each other.

I might give the TDF a go, I do like having sensible conversations about the darts.

I thought it would be MVG vs Price before the tournament. Both are playing pretty special darts, and apart from the shouting both are actually very watchable. Agree with Magnum above that Gurney is playing the best in a long time, maybe he's finding some of his old form again? Gutted for Devon getting walloped by Gary Anderson, he is such a good bloke and always has time to speak to people, just a genuine guy. His scoring never really got going and 4-0 seemed harsh on him, but that's darts.

Looking at the order of merit after the worlds there are some players in the maddest positions. I think Darren Webster will be about 47 or 48, and Cristo Reyes and Kyle Anderson both in the low 60's which is good enough for them to keep their tour cards. Both of those not played much, if at all this season. I really hope they are both able to get over here next season as they are both top 32 players and would be a travesty if they end up having to go to Q school.

Speaking of Q school I see the format has changed. Anyone that loses their tour card this year and people in the top 20 from the Challenge Tour order of merit do not have to play all of the days of Q school instead going straight to a final tournament of sorts. Everyone else plays in a sort of prelim tournament over a few days to qualify for the finals. This should mean that quality of competitions on the final days will be higher. I can't imagine there is much worse for a decent player (85+ average) to get paired with someone chancing their arm who's throwing a 65 average.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

I might give the TDF a go, I do like having sensible conversations about the darts.

You should. I only joined last year after lurking for ages and everyone’s welcoming. Then they get back to insulting whoever they don’t like on there. It’s a good laugh and I enjoy participating in the live commentary during games. It helps makes the dire ones move along quicker. I’m hoping to go to Q School in the next couple of years so I can’t wait to be insulted by everyone on there if I ever do get a tour card and then not play well haha. 

27 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

Cristo Reyes and Kyle Anderson both in the low 60's which is good enough for them to keep their tour cards. Both of those not played much, if at all this season. I really hope they are both able to get over here next season as they are both top 32 players and would be a travesty if they end up having to go to Q school.

Kyle needed the break tbh. He was really missing his family and had enough money behind him to miss this year. But he’s a quality player and if he did lose his tour card, he’d win it back immediately. Reyes is a different story. He peaked in that world championship match against MVG 4 years ago. I think he’d struggle more to get a card back. Especially with the quality that’s about now. 

I like the new system for Q School. I think a lot of the players who lost their card this year will get it back like Schindler, Jamie Lewis and Thornton hopefully. But the new way stops poor players like Adam Beeney - who got a good bit of luck to the final last year to win his card and has won about two matches since, getting one. Just taking up space. McGeeney is going to survive another two years keeping his as Harry Ward is jacking it in once the season officially ends on the 4th. 

Harry Ward is a very sensible young man, he put it all on the line that the professional game was seriously affecting his mental health and that it was the right time to put the darts on hold for the time being. Hopefully he keeps playing with his mates and enjoys it when we can get out and about in the pubs again.

• Paid Members

Last night got me thinking about how much I miss some of the traditional PDC 'undercard' guys, who seemed to qualify regularly at one stage without making it past the first round or two.

I'm talking your Denis Ovens', Denis Smith and his mad throw, Steve 'Muffin Man' Hine, "Big Daddy" Darin Young, Colin Osborne and Kevin McDine.

Hope that at least some of them pop up in the WDF/MAD circuit next year.

• Paid Members

We need more Andy Gilding and his little ocd routine before he throws. But not him smiling. 

Darin Young was great at last years worlds. Ended Barneys career (before his U Turn a couple of months ago to go to Q School) and should’ve beat De Zwaan. 

Do miss Dennis Smith and his throw. 

55 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

We need more Andy Gilding and his little ocd routine before he throws. But not him smiling. 

Perhaps the first and only time you'll see someone say "we need more Andy Gilding".

We met Denis Ovens at the Matchplay in Blackpool back in '07.  He played earlier in the afternoon and then later on was mooching around the bookies section in the corner of the building.  Had a brief chat with him and he signed my programme too.  Nice guy.  I forget how he got on in his match (he was playing Barney so probably lost), but the lasting memory of his game is when a completely unplanned and unexpected chant of "the Heat, the Heat, the Heat is on fire!" erupted around the Winter Gardens.

spacer.png

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Magnum Milano said:

Perhaps the first and only time you'll see someone say "we need more Andy Gilding".

It’s literally his routine before he throws that I enjoy haha. He had a match a few years back at the worlds against John Henderson. Two stunners on display. If that didn’t get the female demographic watching, I don’t know what would. 

10 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

It’s literally his routine before he throws that I enjoy haha. He had a match a few years back at the worlds against John Henderson. Two stunners on display. If that didn’t get the female demographic watching, I don’t know what would. 

spacer.png

I was amazed when the commentators were talking about Big Hendo's wife during one of his matches this year.  Admittedly he looks tons better for the weight loss, but I never had him down as someone who would have married.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

spacer.png

I was amazed when the commentators were talking about Big Hendo's wife during one of his matches this year.  Admittedly he looks tons better for the weight loss, but I never had him down as someone who would have married.

Yeah I was amazed too. However, if Gilding has a missus with those teeth, I’d be shocked. And annoyed. 

Hendo looks great with the weight loss. It’s affected his darts though. Giving up a darts athletes body for your health is a sacrifice you have to make, even if it means a slide down the rankings.