Official Darts Thread

Dai

Is anyone keeping up with the goings on at Q-School?

There's some averages being thrown that makes you wonder why folk are even forking up the entrance fee.  'Flash' Dudbridge has just whupped some jobber 5-0 who was averaging 32.7!  I said earlier in the thread with an hour's practice I'd fancy myself against Paula Jacklin, I'm confident I could pick up some darts, go right up there and beat that.  There's been a couple more averages in the 40s thrown, plus a whole slew in the 50s and early 60s (someone called Sean Adams winning with a 61.8). 

• Paid Members

And the highest losing averages so far have been 92.9 and 93. From players I’ve never heard off. Deta Headman won 5-0 with a 79 against 66 average. Sounds like an awful game to have been a part of.

Seeing some of these results, I genuinely think I could get past the first round, draw dependent. Or at least lose with a decent average.

They all get dart boards in their rooms. You’d hope some of these people would’ve had a good practice before going down there. Or they’ve over practiced.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't rule out nerves/desperation as a factor in some of these matches. If the BDO is indeed a sinking ship, what options are there other than a PDC tour card? I know there's the challenge tour, but still.

If I was dependant on exhibitions then even the BDO circuit offers more exposure (for sponsors if nothing else) than non-televised challenge tour events.

Edited by garynysmon

1 hour ago, TheBurningRed said:

Despite winning his first match, I cannot see Jim Williams getting a tour card. I don’t think he has enough to get over the line. 

And only average 73.6 in doing so; he's going to need to up that by at least twenty points or he'll be going out in one of the next couple of rounds.  I'm not sure of his board or who he's drawn but I'd expect Mitchell to get through.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Is anyone keeping up with the goings on at Q-School?

There's some averages being thrown that makes you wonder why folk are even forking up the entrance fee.  'Flash' Dudbridge has just whupped some jobber 5-0 who was averaging 32.7!  I said earlier in the thread with an hour's practice I'd fancy myself against Paula Jacklin, I'm confident I could pick up some darts, go right up there and beat that.  There's been a couple more averages in the 40s thrown, plus a whole slew in the 50s and early 60s (someone called Sean Adams winning with a 61.8). 

My mate Daf Edwards made last 16. He played against Duzza in the World Trophy a few years ago. Would love him to make it. Mainly as I beat him in Monday night league so I can brag.

Kleermaker got a European card today, and I really reckon he can do a bit.

Edited by PowerButchi

12 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Kleermaker got a European card today, and I really reckon he can do a bit.

Kleermaker hasn't got a card just yet.

He scored 10 points. The cut off should be around 12-14 points this year.  They have started awarding points from the last 128 onward, rather than last 64 like last year. Nonetheless, I expect him to secure his place in the next few days. 

Feck knows who is going to come through the UK Q School. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Feck knows who is going to come through the UK Q School.

Yeah it’s tough this year. Winners were two people I’ve never heard of. And Andy Hamilton got far so will have some good points for the order of merit compared to some other big names. 

Fallon Sherrock did well for the female side of things. Lisa Ashton too. 

Corey Cadby gave up his tour card. Probably due to all his personal problems so Simon Stevenson of all people got to keep his. If he didn’t get that good run to the quarters of the UK Open, I’m sure he’d be at Q School this week. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

Quite a story today with Lisa Ashton powering through (almost) everyone only to fall 5-4 at the final hurdle to Kai Fan Leung who was probably the worst player she could have got in the final four as he was on fire all day with a 100+ average in one game and another couple of 90+ efforts to go with it.

She should be well placed to get in on the four day totting up rule for the final 12 (i think?) places if she has a half decent final two days.

Bit of a lottery given the short format and random draw but i've kept a fleeting eye on it off and on between work; Richie Edhouse looked pretty solid and steady and a few of the more familiar older names sniffing about - Andy Hamilton, James Richardson and Alan Tabern.

From memory i think 10 points and equal tied over the four days was enough to nick the final spot last year.

• Paid Members

Some start to the last leg that was from Leung. 140,100,180. Just hope he actually uses his tour card unlike Royden Lam.

I think Lisa will get a tour card. A good run into the last 16 in the next couple of days will do her good. 12 points is the target. 

58 minutes ago, Stylin_and_Profilin said:

Richie Edhouse looked pretty solid and steady and a few of the more familiar older names sniffing about - Andy Hamilton, James Richardson and Alan Tabern.

An uninspiring bunch but a couple of them will probably get a card. James Richardson, a man who just looks like he can’t wait for Brexit, being the most likely. He would’ve kept his card if he’d beaten big Hendo at the worlds.

On the talk of low averages I know a fellow Michael McCloskey who went to Q School and myself and others who know him were laughing at him doing so with a 60 average. I think for some they see it as just a very high priced open event though, the chance to rub shoulders with a few names and tell people they played someone famous or went to Q School.

Harms, Waites and Lisa Ashton getting their PDC tour cards is not going to help BDO in their fight to stay in existence.

Whether or not Harms and Waites flatter to deceive on the bigger BDO stages the two of them and Ashton were still three of their biggest names.

Andy Hamilton and Nick Kenny both got one too.

I know a lad from back home and his younger brother won his card a year or two back at Qschool.

The entry fee is just shy of £500 now to try and price out the day dreamers and space cadets but there are still plenty of folk - as mentioned above - who are just there to say they've experienced it.

There are two brothers in my local league who were asbolutely miles ahead of the pack, even the guys who have been mainstays on the Monday night league for 20+ years (and the standard there is decent, the majority of guys are out in <18 pretty much every leg) admit they are the best they've seen at that level. Both are still early 20's and no commitments in terms of family and nothing spectacular holding them back in terms of a career so they are constantly being nudged towards it by the 'regulars' for the last two or three years but neither has went for it. Must be hundreds of folk like that across the UK.

On the flipside i remember seeing a few decent folk who fancied themselves in the local Riley's snooker halls for the UK Open qualifiers just completely go to pieces even with 5-10 randoms watching. Totally capitulated as outside the comfort zone of the local boozer i'd imagine.

See it even on the big stages with seasoned professionals. On the floor events that are non televised they're capable of beating anyone on their day but once they come out of their comfort zone suddenly they just don't have the composure. Particularly on the doubles.