Official Darts Thread

Dai

• Paid Members

John Gwynne commentating on this dirt after previously commentating on the PDC is the sports equivalent of getting David Dimbleby to do a commentary on Derek Acorah's funeral having done all the great state occasions he has done in the past. 

This is real dogdirt darts

• Paid Members

I was trying to think to myself last night when did the massive chasm in quality between the PDC and BDO really open up.

For years it was said that if you took out the PDC's top 4 players (Taylor etc) then the level was pretty equal underneath, which is something I largely agreed with.

The BDO held up pretty well when Barney was still there, even into the late 2000's after he'd left.

But by now, I'd fancy a better quality match during the first round of the PDC than a BDO semi final. 

The latter years of the BBC contract seemed to see a massive drop off but its hard to pinpoint exactly when.

Edited by garynysmon

1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

I was trying to think to myself last night when did the massive chasm in quality between the PDC and BDO really open up.

For years it was said that if you took out the PDC's top 4 players (Taylor etc) then the level was pretty equal underneath, which is something I largely agreed with.

The BDO held up pretty well when Barney was still there, even into the late 2000's after he'd left.

But by now, I'd fancy a better quality match during the first round of the PDC than a BDO semi final. 

The latter years of the BBC contract seemed to see a massive drop off but its hard to pinpoint exactly when.

I was trying to find a site which compared the rankings for the respective organizations, although the best I found was something called Darts Database.  I was going to post the respective rankings for a few years but couldn't get it to format nicely, so you're stuck with my words.

2008-2009

This fits in with what you were saying about if you take the top four out of the PDC the standard is pretty equal.  The top four in the PDC at that time were Taylor, Wade, Van Barneveld and King, the equivalent in the BDO were Waites, Adams, Edwin Max (I don't remember him either) and O'Shea.  If you then look at the rest of the PDC top 16 it's full of players on the slide and whose best days are behind them (Priestley, Lloyd, Mardle, Manley), a bunch of, to be fair, average players on who you think "how did they get so high?" (Tabern (ranked 6!), Walsh, Osborne) and a few perennial nearly men (Baxter, Hamilton, Jenkins).  The only ones who's careers are really on the rise are Lewis and maybe Thornton (think this is early into his time in the PDC).  Outside the BDO top four are guys who would go onto have lengthy careers in the PDC (Anderson, Webster, West, Norris), Ted Hankey (who has another World title just around the corner), Darryl Fitton, guys who I rated but seemed to disappear without a trace (Joey Ten Berge and Robert Wagner), plus perennial BDO cloggers like Ross Montgomery and Gary Robson.

2009-2010

It's arguable that the BDO had the better top four this year in O'Shea, Adams, Fitton and Waites, compared to the PDC's Taylor, Barneveld, Jenkins and Baxter.  Away from the top four, the PDC had the edge in number's five to eight (Wade, Whitlock, Lewis and King versus Monty, Atkins, Norris and West), and may slightly edge it overall, but not by much.  The likes of Priestley, Osborne, Walsh and Lloyd are still hanging about towards the bottom of the sixteen, the only thing of note is Mark Webster, in his first year, already inside it.  While over in the BDO there is the emergence of Scott Mitchell, Ian White and John Henderson, the resurgence of John Walton plusTed Hankey still there or thereabout.

2010-2011

This may be the first year with a seriously noticeable difference.  The top four in the BDO are Montgomery, Stuart Kellett, Dean Winstanley and Waites.  Kellett was a flop in the PDC who achieving nothing, and the only thing I remember Winstanley for is the nine darter at the World's the one year.  Over in the PDC it's Taylor, Lewis, Anderson and Wade.  No more needs to be said on that score.  The BDO's top sixteen includes other guys who did nothing when they tried their hands in the PDC (Steve Douglas, Robbie Green, Tony West), guys who I don't remember (Willy van de Wiel, Fabian Roosenbrand) and the usual suspects (Robson, Fitton, O'Shea).  Even though the likes of Lloyd and Walsh are still holding their own just inside the top 16, the depth seems greater now in the PDC, more guys whose stocks are on the rise (Newton, Nicholson), hardy competitors (King, Webster, Jenkins, Van der Voort) along with the likes of Van Barneveld and Whitlock.

2011-2012

The difference is really noticeable here.  Winstanley is top of the BDO pile, while Douglas and Green, those who tried their hands in the PDC, have also risen up the rankings from the previous year.  Jan Dekker and Benito van de Pas, both who have hardly lit up the PDC, make their debuts inside the top 16, as does someone called Clive Barden.  Stephen Bunting at fourteen is the only note thing of real note for the BDO.  The depth in the PDC has grown to where Raymond van Barneveld is no-longer inside the World's top 16 players.  Dave Chisnall has now switched, while Kevin Painter and John Part have seen upswings in their form to where they're challenging for trophies again,

2012-2013

Richie George and Martin Atkins (he of the pissed up interview whilst getting his arm massed by Trina Gulliver fame) are in the top four of the BDO.  Enough said.

So from going on the rankings and from what I remember, I'd go for around 2010 that the gap really opened up between the BDO and PDC.  Hard to attribute something like that to one person, but the Anderson switch may be the catalyst to where it really started to grow.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Talking of Fallon, see she was doing some glorified exhibition in Germany last night with Phil Taylor!

She was playing doubles on TV with Luca Toni too. She's obviously regretting her decision to leave Jacklin's sinking ship.

• Paid Members

Deta Hedman and Laura Turner averaging 64.15 and 64.57 respectively in a painful game to watch this evening. I should try and recruit them for my team as I averaged 63.66 over two legs the other week for a pub in Isleworth and I think they’d fit right in with us. There was probably more people watching my match than what was in the indigo tonight. 

A few of the BDO big names are on tomorrow evening. Their main selling point for tomorrow afternoons session of torture is BDO number 1 Wesley Harms. Harms and his big chain had one good match at the GsoD back in November where he averaged well but still lost and he was mostly terrible in his other two matches. I honestly don’t know how they’re going to get fans in for tomorrow afternoon and would be surprised if there’s more than 50. People book time off work for PDC worlds afternoons, but no ones thinking “best throw a sickie and get down the indigo, David Cameron is facing Nick Fullwell”

• Paid Members

I watched a bit of Warren and Thompson on Eurosport yesterday. They were actually scoring well at the time (think 92 and 91 averages overall) but it just felt like death. I'm not a massive fan of the parody that the PDC has become with the darts being almost irrelevant to the crowd but this was deathly quiet, the poor crowd looked embarrassed to be in the close ups and the pace of the game was SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

John Gwynne is a good pick up. Got one of them voices that just says darts. Even when he does Soccer Saturday, he's instantly recognisable as the darts guy.

11 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

The best things on that forum is the annual BDO Worlds piss take and getting news. It’s awful on there otherwise. 

Yeah, I'm a 'Stars of Darts' man but that can be equally as bad at times, especially when it resorts to the posters just bickering at one another.  Also unfortunate that all the Pro's who used to post on there no longer do so.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

http://www.thedartsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8542

The annual highlight of the BDO world darts. Includes a cameo from our very own GarYnysMon's twitter

Cheers Butch. Laughing out loud going through that.

"End this shit now"

"Derrick Bird or Raoul Moat should come along"

• Paid Members

Happy Feet is the unofficial nickname of dancing twat Dimitri Van den Bergh on the darts forum. Both have shite walk on music too. 

Decent standard of match so far for the BDO this game. Was expecting it to be terrible. 

Edited by TheBurningRed