General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

42 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Are you thinking of a different film? It was universally acclaimed.

I still see it as a niche success. Reviews were great but it wasn't a box office hit was it? Hasn't Villeneuve said he had career worries after how it went?

I guess when I look at that list and see Marvel films, LOTR etc - that's all stuff I'm not surprised is on there as they've always had massive followings.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I still see it as a niche success. Reviews were great but it wasn't a box office hit was it? Hasn't Villeneuve said he had career worries after how it went?

There are a few films on there that weren't box office hits. But 2049 was hugely successful critically and with audiences that did see it. I don't see why it's such a stretch that it would be on there, especially considering it's a recent film.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Everyone that didn't vote for Paddington 2 needs to have a long hard look at themselves

This

On 10/8/2021 at 8:32 PM, DEF said:

New trailer for In Search of Darkness 3. The first one didn't do much for me as it was basically a greatest hits of 80s horror and didn't really tell me anything I didn't know but over a bloody long time.

The second I liked a fair bit more as it was getting a bit more obscure and discussing less well trodden fodder.

This one is right up my street. 80s DTV horror. There is a list of the films used in the trailer of which I've only seen 26.

The gimmick of getting the audience to vote for it is good in theory but I've no desire to see Chris Jericho discuss Clownhouse.

Screenshot_20211006-235959_YouTube.jpg

Possession's the greatest horror I've ever seen, Adjani fucking losing it in the subway will forever be seared in to my brain.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Possession's the greatest horror I've ever seen, Adjani fucking losing it in the subway will forever be seared in to my brain.

Not seen that one. Will give it a look.

• Paid Members
On 11/26/2021 at 10:48 AM, Hannibal Scorch said:

Films are art as well.

I dunno, I made an absolutely terrible short horror film about 5 years ago that somehow got shown at a film festival and if anyone told me that was art I'd think they were a fucking lunatic. 

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I dunno, I made an absolutely terrible short horror film about 5 years ago that somehow got shown at a film festival and if anyone told me that was art I'd think they were a fucking lunatic. 

Like others have said, Art can still be fucking awful. Art is expressing yourself, interpretations. Good or bad, but still art.

If it’s alright by you though, I won’t ask to see your short.

• Paid Members

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (cinema)

Harmless and mostly fun aside from the last 15 minutes which are just depressingly unnecessary. Mckenna Grace is brilliant in the lead. Put me in a good mood after the fucking Spider-Man and West Side Story trailers.

• Paid Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (cinema)

Harmless and mostly fun aside from the last 15 minutes which are just depressingly unnecessary.

The formula has always been "ghosts, ghosts, ghosts" and then "last 15 minutes, Bill Murray gets a shag somehow." There's no crying in Ghostbuster land.

• Paid Members

This is as unsurprising as it is depressing.

https://inews.co.uk/culture/mike-leigh-netflix-just-turned-me-down-which-is-a-shame-because-they-have-plenty-of-money-1318961

Netflix spent $200 million on Red Notice and paid $450 million for Knives Out 2 and 3.