Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Does anyone have any experience with getting speeding fines abroad? I've just received an email from Hertz in Italy telling me I got caught doing 75km/h in a 50km/h area, back in March, and that they've given my details to the authorities. They've scanned a copy of the ticket and it's in Italian and all I can make out is something about €286 to €1142, I'm guessing that's the range of the fine. The thing is there were a few of us (colleagues) using the car and I genuinely can't remember who would have been driving it that day but the car was registered in my name and had my bank card for security deposit. I've actually changed my bank card as it was almost expired anyway so I can't see them being able to charge me automatically, is this something I can ignore and it'll just go away? Or will I get pulled aside at the airport if I ever go back to Italy?

I would ignore the email and contact your bank to stop any transactions being taken out of your account for anything Italy related.

Last year I returned my car to Hertz abroad and the day before I noticed the bumper had cracks, for the life of me I cannot remember doing this or even seeing it when I collected the car so I parked the car right up against the curb in the hope they wouldn't notice, then as soon as they released the disposit they have in your account I then asked my bank to stop any transactions from that country. Fuck them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Long shot this one, but is there any way to access a record of parcels delivered to you via the Royal Mail? A while back I received a 'you were out' card stating that they'd left a parcel with my neighbour, who denied all knowledge. I then went to the sorting office, who said they'd investigate and contact me. They never did, the swines. Had completely forgotten about it until this morning, so was just wondering if any such facility existed (doubtful, I know). Failing that, either the postman or my neighbour made off with the contents.

• Moderators

I received a letter today from 02 saying that I had bought a new phone contract from them. I haven't, I've called them up and they've barred the number and any phone associated with it and passed it on to their fraud team.

However. Is there anything I should do noe to protect myself from further fraud? They don't seem to have used my bank details, just my name and address. So I reckon they just wanted to get a phone on contract and not be traceable when they don't pay for it.

I had someone try and open a credit account with Argos in my name. I had a basic Experian account but called them up and they passed me on to other people who helped me set up more protection around my credit. Now if I apply for credit it has to be verified with a password before it goes through. Also got the upgraded account with Experian so that I get a notification as soon as credit is applied for in my name and I can instantly access my report.

I've been fucked over by EBay/Yodel. Bought something on EBay using their global shipping scheme. Seller sent it, tracking showed it as delivered on Thursday. It hadn't been. The two tracking numbers EBay gave were next to useless, but I gathered from the hubs/centres it had been through that it was Yodel. From talking to them, I got the domestic tracking number and the webchat guy said he would advise the depot to interview the driver and get back to me in a few days.

I've checked the tracking number on Yodel's site and it says it was left in a safe place, a shed. There isn't a shed.

With the tracking showing it as delivered, am I just screwed? The seller sent it, the tracking says it's delivered, so what can I do?

I've had something similar happen to me. I got my money back through the resolution centre. It's up to the seller to sort it out with Yodel to get their refund. It sucks, but you have to put yourself first.

Yodel and Hermes are the drizzling shits. DPD too.

• Paid Members

I've had something similar happen. One time was a replacement laptop where my signature had been forged. Fortunately the sellers sent me another one immediately an joined placed a reclaim from the delivery company. 3 weeks later the package was found "misplaced" in there warehouse. I was incredibly lucky the sellers where so accomodating. I feel if it had just been me it would have been alot more difficult a process.

Archived