Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

On a similar note to Chest's recent problems...

I live in a quiet cul-di-sac. We have our car parked on our drive and don't usually lock it (Yes, stupid I know)

On inspection this morning, it would appear someone has been rummaging around inside the car. The glove box was open and so was the centre console thingy with a few bits and pieces strewn around inside. Nothing of value is kept in there, but there was a ripped receipt from a builders warehouse left on the floor.

From looking at similar receipts we have, it appears the bit taken would include our names, address and my mobile phone number. I don't think there would be any bank info on there.

My misses is slightly skteched about this. Should we be worried? Any suggestions on what to do in the meantime?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a similar note to Chest's recent problems...

I live in a quiet cul-di-sac. We have our car parked on our drive and don't usually lock it (Yes, stupid I know)

On inspection this morning, it would appear someone has been rummaging around inside the car. The glove box was open and so was the centre console thingy with a few bits and pieces strewn around inside. Nothing of value is kept in there, but there was a ripped receipt from a builders warehouse left on the floor.

From looking at similar receipts we have, it appears the bit taken would include our names, address and my mobile phone number. I don't think there would be any bank info on there.

My misses is slightly skteched about this. Should we be worried? Any suggestions on what to do in the meantime?

I wouldn't say any more than normal. Especially in today's age of phishing and data leaks and whatnot. There's not a lot they can do with the phone number unless they have the phone as well. Also, if someone *were* to apply for something major, the lender would often ask for additional information for security/to make their decision like DOB.

If your missus is really worried, get a password set up on your credit report. That way, if anyone *does* try anything you'll be sound. 

• Paid Members

Thanks for the advice, everybody , the walls are in pretty good nick, so im just going to paint them. It's taken an age to strip the place as the paper has seemingly been fucking superglued on!

Damn - I wish I'd noticed this earlier. I'd have said keep the wallpaper and just paint over it, if you're going to paint, as paper in general covers the imperfections. But, if as you say the walls are in good nick, go for it; otherwise I'd have said put some lining paper up.

Overall, though, I would always advocate painting over papering. Papering is a right arse-ache, especially if it's patterned or anaglypta.

If they set the TV to display input from the new Freeview box and they press the red button on the remote that came with that new box, then it should work fine.

Edit: Though it will depend on the box. Some don't offer catch-up services like iPlayer as part of the kit. But that's not usually what the red button's for, as I understand it, so I'm not sure if you mean iPlayer or the standard red button functionality.

• Paid Members

Flying into Heathrow in three weeks, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice about how to get from Terminal 5 to Windsor, where we're going to be staying? I think a taxi would be the best, but I'd like to save money on pre-booking rather than jumping in a cab at the airport. Any recommendations?

• Awards Moderator

Flying into Heathrow in three weeks, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice about how to get from Terminal 5 to Windsor, where we're going to be staying? I think a taxi would be the best, but I'd like to save money on pre-booking rather than jumping in a cab at the airport. Any recommendations?

Just wait two years and the Elizabeth Line will take you straight there :-)

Echo the Uber for this kind of journey. It is a 10 mile journey so not far, do-able on rail but a few changes required.

So I've just found a good job I'd like to apply for based in London which I think I've got a decent chance of getting.  I've always said I wouldn't move to London unless I got a good job, and this one is actually a career job rather than a tide-me-over-until-something-better-comes-along sort of job.  It's a 12-month training scheme, sort of an apprenticeship, for £20,000 a year.

What are some nice affordable areas to live?  And has anybody had experience moving from a small village to the big smoke?  It's obviously a risk, but at the moment I'm in a dead-end job living with my parents in the Welsh valleys while my girlfriend lives with her parents in Essex, so a risk is probably exactly what I need.

• Paid Members

Where exactly is the job based? Not to put the mockers on you already, but London is ludicrous rental-wise. Best thing to do is get somewhere in the outskirts, but they're not easy to commute from, so it'd be best to find a place nearer your work.

• Paid Members

I share a flat in South London (Streatham area) with a couple and I pay £500 a month including bills. I moved about 4 months ago from a shitty south coast town and its the best thing I've ever done. 

• Paid Members

I couldnt even begin to imagine living in London again. I can certainly see the appeal but it always seems so frantic. I currently live with alot more out in the country with sheep, chickens ,dogs and a cat and it seems a world away but if you want to do it have a go. Whats the worst that can happen?

Where exactly is the job based? Not to put the mockers on you already, but London is ludicrous rental-wise. Best thing to do is get somewhere in the outskirts, but they're not easy to commute from, so it'd be best to find a place nearer your work.

It's in Westminster.  I definitely wouldn't be looking in Central London, the outskirts are definitely the better option.  Commuting isn't too much of a concern, as long as it's not over an hour each way.

Essex is pretty decent both price and commute time wise, so if your girlfriend is already there it probably makes sense to go that way. Or at least somewhere East, anyway.

Yeah I'd consider Essex providing there's a tube station nearby.  I worked in London for about 2 months after I graduated while living at my girlfriend's parents house and commuting was an absolute nightmare due lack of transport options.

I share a flat in South London (Streatham area) with a couple and I pay £500 a month including bills. I moved about 4 months ago from a shitty south coast town and its the best thing I've ever done. 

Thanks.  Out of curiosity, what took you there?

• Awards Moderator

It's in Westminster. I definitely wouldn't be looking in Central London, the outskirts are definitely the better option. Commuting isn't too much of a concern, as long as it's not over an hour each way.

Essex is pretty decent both price and commute time wise, so if your girlfriend is already there it probably makes sense to go that way. Or at least somewhere East, anyway.

Yeah I'd consider Essex providing there's a tube station nearby. I worked in London for about 2 months after I graduated while living at my girlfriend's parents house and commuting was an absolute nightmare due lack of transport options.

What part of Essex is she in? Its a big ol' County and some parts are better connected than others. It's a million miles between Thurrock and Maldon metaphorically speaking.

Archived