Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off topic in so much as it's a technical issue.

Google (who run blogger) have once again decided to fix something that wasn't broken. Now, every time I amend/add to my blog I get an error message (usually multiple on the same page) with the option to fix or dismiss. I'm dismissing, because otherwise it really messes things up properly. I have no clue what any of the following means, I'm not technically gifted or savvy at all. I have worked out a few basics with regard to layout and spacing (that took years), but it seems to imply that whatever I have been doing previously may no longer work the way I want it to. At the moment, on my PC, with my settings & connection it still appears the way it should (given the inherant limitations). Last time anything like this happened, I had to rebuild the mutha from scratch. It also suggests running Chrome - they can fuck off with that for a start.

1) If anyone can translate this to plain English for a dummy, thanks in advance.

2) If you have a few moments, please could you browse through the pages to see if it looks more or less correct on your connection (i.e) do photo's & text line-up within reason? If it's OK, no problem, if not perhaps you could pm me & let me know the issue(s).

http://puroresuview.blogspot.co.uk/

Fix mixed content on your blog

If you turn on HTTPS for your blog, you may have to change your blog content to make sure it works with HTTPS.

Mixed Content errors occur when a webpage downloads its initial HTML content securely over HTTPS, but then loads the follow-up content (such as  images, videos, stylesheets, scripts) over insecure HTTP. These browser errors will degrade both HTTPS security and the user experience of your blog.

Mixed content can be caused by HTML markup or JavaScript content in:

Template source
Post and page source
Gadget source

Check your blog for mixed content errors

Use the latest version of Chrome.

(optional) Remove all non-Google gadgets from your blog.
On your browser, visit your blog using HTTPS.
At the top of your browser, click View > Developer > JavaScript Console.
Look for mixed content errors:
“Mixed Content: The page at 'https://<your-blog>.blogspot.com/' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure script 'http://<some-url>/script.js'. This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS.”
“Mixed Content: The page at 'https://<your-blog>.blogspot.com/' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image 'http://<some-url>/image.jpg'. This content should also be served over HTTPS.”
Make a list of the blog address you are viewing, and any insecure URLs listed in the error messages.  
(optional) Re-add gadgets one at a time to your blog. Repeat steps 2–5, and note any new mixed content errors.

Make sure to visit each page of your blog separately. Errors will show only for the page being viewed, not the blog as a whole. Make note of the errors you see, as well as whether the same problem URLs appear in errors for multiple blog pages.

• Paid Members

Yodel and Hermes are the drizzling shits. DPD too.

DPD are a good service. Always give you a one hour window of when they'd appear. You can even follow the guy on a little map.

Amazon Logistics are the worst though. Too many weird experiences with them and forged signatures.

• Awards Moderator

KingOfSports tale of woe

Google are moving all blogspot blogs over to HTTPS which is a good thing for lots of reasons you'll not care about. Should load a shade faster though.

It's trying to pull across some content from outside of Google though which isn't HTTPS compatible. This appears to be coming from an add-on. I haven't used a blogspot blog for years but I'm guessing you've enabled one of these in your dashboard. Maybe it provides, I dunno, a Facebook page connector or shows stats or summat. Try disabling all of these, then turn them back on one at a time until it works again.

As it goes, I only have pages on there (no posts). Seemingly pages comes under the 'gadgets' category, so that's just too bad.

This is one of their explanations:

There are three main benefits to using HTTPS instead of HTTP to access your blog (all of which I could care less about, but there you go):

• It helps check that your visitors open the correct website and aren’t being redirected to a malicious site.
  • It helps detect if an attacker tries to change any data sent from Blogger to the visitor.
  • It adds security measures that make it harder for other people to listen to your visitors’ conversations, track their activities, or steal their information.

I've now got HTTPS enabled. Still getting multiple error messages. Every imagebam photo (which run into thousands) & various other stuff. Still seems to look OK on my connection. I'll leave it. If it happens to go tits-up, hey-ho. Also explains why it had started to load like a piece of shit. Hopefully that's better now.

• Paid Members

In one of my uni modules we've been asked to design a website in a group of four. One woman, a Muslim convert, has asked if we can do a website where we explain Ramadan to people. The significance of it, the rules and what have you. I'm an atheist, bordering on anti-theist. Here is my question: should I feel uncomfortable being involved in a website based on this? Because I kind of do. Second question: what do you think is the best way to broach my objections? I don't want to upset the woman at all, she's a lovely girl.

• Paid Members

Chest, I feel (a little) uncomfortable because, along the lines of what King Coconut said, I really don't want any part of her preaching. As I said, she's a lovely girl. But as a convert, she's very, very into the whole thing. Constantly posting Facebook updates about the wonders of Islam, telling people about all the good things converting has done for her. Good for her, by the way. I personally think the destructiveness and divisiveness of religion (any religion - I'm officially a Catholic and felt like a massive hypocrite any time I had to go to traditional funeral in a church) far outweighs the fuzzy feeling she might get about it. Now, I probably wouldn't mind so much if we were just designing the website and it was never going live anywhere, but as I understand it the plan is to design and launch the website and then promote it. Whoever said, "does it matter?" Yes, it does. I think it does. I doubt she'd want to be involved in building a website that lists all the ways that religion is a fucking cancer.

• Paid Members

It doesn't sound "preachy" to me - just someone trying to explain part of their life that others might not understand or misunderstand particularly in the current climate. Also, it's topical considering it's the longest Ramadan in a while (ever?).

What do the other two people in the group think about the idea? What other ideas have been floated? What are the objectives of the project?

Edit: sorry, ignore what I said about "preachy" as I hadn't seen your reply before writing.

• Paid Members

Is the website going to promote Ramadan or explain it though? Personally I wouldn't mind doing it either way but I think there's a distinction between the two. If it's just explaining it then would it be less of an issue for you?

This is the problem. If I go along with it, she's going to want to take the lead. It's her religion after all. And if it gets too far into proselytizing, as I suspect it might, I'm going to be the one butting heads with her over it. Not conducive to a healthy team environment.

The other two could care less. About the project, the module, the degree. I'm not sure why they're paying so much if they don't care. The other two ideas were "travel" and "fashion" which were both rejected out of hand for being no so much ideas as words presented as an idea. The aims of the project are simply to produce, launch and promote a website.

• Moderators

Yeah, that's how I read it from the initial brief given too. That it was more explaining it to those who don't know about it, rather than extolling its virtues and trying to get people to get into it.

That's why I asked. Personally I'd be comfortable with that, but not with it being preachy.

That said, as soon as you said she's a convert I was like 'ah fuck that', because that kinda divorces the cultural aspect somewhat. So I'd be much less on board.

Archived