Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

I think it's a pretty dick move on their part to fine you for it if it comes to that; doesn't really inspire you to be honest. Save the fines for people who've tried to weasel out of it or acted deliberately deceitful or malicious in some other way!

Absolutely.  I'd also like HMRC and local authorities to review the wording with which their letters are written.  They often come across very aggressively and while I understand they feel they need to do this to make sure people take them seriously, the wording of such letters can intimidate people to the point they start just ignoring them rather than trying to figure out what they have to do to rectify the situation.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll wait and see, I feel like an absolute idiot in all honesty. Trying to see it for what it is on my part, a nuts mistake a colossal stupid proportions.

I don't know, more overtime it is for me then until this is payed off then.

• Paid Members

Does anyone else brush their teeth at least once more on the day of a dentist appointment. I'm in the waiting room now, brushed them before I left work, have 10 mins to get another quick brush in.

Fucking madness. It's like washing your car before the AA come out.

• Paid Members

My girlfriend is getting me a Kindle Paperwhite for my birthday next month. I have long rallied against the Kindle but my book collection is getting out of hand. Two questions. Is the Paperwhite the best Kindle? Also, are most books available on Kindle format? I'm assuming any new releases have a Kindle version now.

• Paid Members

I'd say it's the best one — I had a very old generation of Kindle, and then we both had Fires, and now the Mrs. also has a Paperwhite, and it's cracking. Great battery life, fantastic screen, good backlight. There's a very fancy sounding new one coming out, but it seems like a lot of unnecessary spec to up the cost.

I can't imagine a new book coming out without a Kindle release.

• Moderators

The paperwhite is best. Also, free ebooks are readily available to download. And you will find shit that doesn't even have an official release is often scanned and pdf'd and put up.

What are you railing against anyway? You surely love free shit..

What are you railing against anyway? You surely love free shit..

I'm just weird about it. A real book can't be beaten. That new book smell. The pages in your hands.

My wife said the same thing recently, particularly about the smell of pages. So her kindle has now become mine

• Paid Members

Does anyone have any experience with getting speeding fines abroad? I've just received an email from Hertz in Italy telling me I got caught doing 75km/h in a 50km/h area, back in March, and that they've given my details to the authorities. They've scanned a copy of the ticket and it's in Italian and all I can make out is something about €286 to €1142, I'm guessing that's the range of the fine. The thing is there were a few of us (colleagues) using the car and I genuinely can't remember who would have been driving it that day but the car was registered in my name and had my bank card for security deposit. I've actually changed my bank card as it was almost expired anyway so I can't see them being able to charge me automatically, is this something I can ignore and it'll just go away? Or will I get pulled aside at the airport if I ever go back to Italy?

• Paid Members

It happened to a friend of mine not so long ago. The law is changing soon but at the minute speeding fines can't be forced internationally unless you are caught at the time and forced to pay a penalty at the time.

You need to check your rental agreement to see if you have agreed to pay the fine if caught. They are more likely to chase you than the Italian government.

• Paid Members

Cheers, if the Italian authorities won't/can't do anything about it then I'll probably just ignore it. As I said Hertz only have my old card details so they can sing for their money.

• Paid Members

Has any one on here got a funeral bond?

Are they worth while. The sale of my house would cover my mortgage as it stands and I'm not fussed about anything flash as a funeral (but then its not for me is it).

Are they a good investment or just a rip off?

As a sidenote if my parents go before me I'd expect the state to have to do the business for me, unless the force it on one of my sisters.

Archived