Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Do any of you guys subscribe to Hulu? I can seem to arrange a way to pay for the damn thing. I opened an entropay account, but Hulu no longer accepts it. Any ideas?

• Paid Members

Quite a specific one this, but does anyone have (or know where I can get) an mp3 of Blackpool Tower organ being played?

My YouTube downloader isn't having any of it (possibly as I'm tethered due to BT being wankers).

• Paid Members

Am in Newcastle now - took HG's recommendation and went to the Fat Hippo Underground but it seems to be extremely popular; had to have booked, so couldn't get a table. Have gone to a place called Marco Polo, seems pretty good.

• Paid Members

Quite a specific one this, but does anyone have (or know where I can get) an mp3 of Blackpool Tower organ being played?

My YouTube downloader isn't having any of it (possibly as I'm tethered due to BT being wankers).

What vid? I'll download it, if that gets around the problem.

Can anyone recommend a good HiFi or amplifier system (with speakers) for under £100? It's for my son's 19th birthday at the end of this month. We want something that he can get a good sound out of, can connect to his iPhone (whether that's a dock, USB or Bluetooth), and something he can connect his TV up to so he can play any sound from it through the speakers.

I'm useless when it comes to speaker wattage and ohms. It confuses me.

• Awards Moderator

Am in Newcastle now - took HG's recommendation and went to the Fat Hippo Underground but it seems to be extremely popular; had to have booked, so couldn't get a table. Have gone to a place called Marco Polo, seems pretty good.

Ah! That's a pity, but yes, it's pretty popular is Fat Hippo. And with good reason, every time I think of those burgers I start drooling like Homer Simpson thinking about that sweet can.

I was actually out in Newcastle on Friday, I may have seen you and not even known it!

• Paid Members

Ah! That's a pity, but yes, it's pretty popular is Fat Hippo. And with good reason, every time I think of those burgers I start drooling like Homer Simpson thinking about that sweet can.

I was actually out in Newcastle on Friday, I may have seen you and not even known it!

Would've had one of them if it had been stuck to the arse of a fit babysitter. My silence will only incriminate me further.

Shame! Would've been good to meet up for a pint. I went to the Free Trade and the one near it (forget the name), but just didn't have time to get to the Cluny or the Cumberland Arms. Think I should go up for a week and properly look around next time.

• Paid Members

I'm currently on holidays (now in Austria) and got an email today saying I've been made redundant. I've only been with the company 2.5 months so as I'm still in my probationary period I only got one week's notice. I've been told I don't need to go back into the office when I go back.

I'm devastated. Has anyone got any experience with such immediate unemployment? I've spent the last couple of hours going through bank statements and looking at who I need to notify, appointments I need to make, etc. but I can't do anything until a week Monday. I'm worried sick.

But I was told to enjoy the rest of my holiday so that was nice...

• Awards Moderator

Aw that sucks Monk. Depends on your role / location but get email job alerts set up on your favourite sites ASAP. If you can temp your role fire emails at agencies now ready for them on Monday morning.

A couple of things: it's Friday, so not much can change until Monday. It's all very well for me to say it, but just enjoy the weekend.

Second, at least you have Internet access so can get some of this stuff ready.

If you let me know what sector you work in I can recommend some sources.

• Paid Members

I've seen some computers in the hotel reception so I'm going to see if I can update my CV (I have it on Dropbox) and then start applying. I normally look for jobs on LinkedIn so I can start doing that. I'm pretty versatile - graphic design, marketing, editorial.

What I'm most worried about is that I'm not going to get a job straight away and I have a mortgage. I've made notes about benefits I can claim and I'll need to go into the bank to speak to them about maybe just paying interest for a month or two.

Right now I can't stop crying. I just can't believe this has happened. How can I enjoy the rest of my holiday now? I was meant to be going out for dinner tonight but I've made myself sick from crying so much so that's off now.

• Paid Members

What a bunch of bastards. Do you have mortgage protection? If so, apply for jobseekers or universal credit as soon as you can. If you are coming back home this weekend, do it tonight, and you will have an appointment early next week. Give the insurance company the date of claim as soon as you can, then at least your mortgage is fine for a bit. Best of luck with it all, I'm sure you'll get sorted with something soon.

Archived