Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Who wants to give me some advice? The course in Amsterdam starts September 1st. I'm supposed to be in Asia until September 25th. So if I go to Holland, a six week holiday with my girlfriend that she's so looking forward to and has all planned out becomes a 2 week holiday. Not to mention the upset she's going to feel, even if she outwardly supports whatever decision I make. Also, I don't even know if you can change flight dates! What should I do?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well, I haven't decided yet. I'm just looking for advice. Plus it's 5 months, not a year and I'll be back for nearly a month over Christmas

EDIT: It's cool in a way. Back in the day, I was on here asking for advice about prison. At least my advice requests are more positive these days.

• Paid Members

Well, I haven't decided yet. I'm just looking for advice. Plus it's 5 months, not a year and I'll be back for nearly a month over Christmas

EDIT: It's cool in a way. Back in the day, I was on here asking for advice about prison. At least my advice requests are more positive these days.

giphy.gif

Has anybody ever attended an "interview under caution". I have to attend one in a few weeks concerning an over payment from the council, and I'm bricking to be honest. I was aware of the over payment, as the local council told me, and I'm paying it back accordingly in agreement with them, so not sure why this is needed and/or what I need to do :-/ 

Anybody else know anything this/done this before?

• Paid Members

Don't be frightened by a caution. When I was a TV License enforcement officer, I took statements from people under caution. Me. Telling people "you do not have to say anything..." Etc. Really, it's to inform you of your rights. Remember that you do not have to say anything.

Fair dues, Its nothing serious, that I'm aware of, just a routine thing just to see if I'm being dodgy, which is fair enough. I just saw the letter and was like "URGH" lol. 

I have some debt issues that are slowly clearing up, and this just seems like another spanner in the works. Oh well, I'll crack on. thanks guys!

The one bit of advice I have is that whoever is interviewing you may well try to make the situation feel as informal as possible to loosen you up and get you on friendly terms. You have your story, stick to it. If you've done nothing wrong then you'll have nothing to hide. Just don't let them put words in your mouth.

If your council is anything like ours then it'll be a fuck up on their part.

To be honest I'm not sure what the crack is, we started claiming a housing benefit we were entitled to at the time (I was on minimum wage and my wife was not working) and since that time anything I've ever done (pay rises, Mrs working again) I've always informed the relevant people, as I also get child/working tax credits.

We ended up cancelling our claim on the housing this year as for the first time in many years, we're doing ok with other debts chipping away and allowing is a bit of breathing room. After that we received a letter saying "thanks, we've also spoken to the gov....and we've overpaid you for years". So have arranged to pay it all back (adding more time on my debts essentially).

I personally think it's my fault for just "presuming" everyone works for the gov, as anything else I got/previously got all got updated at the same time. Looks like our council don't check in with them Until you end the claim lol. Although it still sounds a bit suspect to me, surely they either do get updates from them or not? Random.

Anyway, I'm not worried like I have anything to hide, as I don't feel I do, and as I'm paying it back it's not like I'm denying it or anything like that. I'll go in there, say my piece and hope for the best.

When you changed jobs or your earnings went up did you specifically phone the people administrating the housing benefit? If not then they're likely to have just kept paying you, leading to the over payment. It's very common for people to think that by informing DWP or HMRC that they're keeping the right people informed. As far as I'm aware housing benefit is dealt with at local authority level though. I've had to write quite a number of letters for parents who have fallen foul of a similar situation when they've gotten back in to work after a time unemployed.

Yeah I only ever informed the hrmc/tax credits people! No worries at least o can just hold my hands up and tell them I'm essentially an idiot ha.

Oh well, least I'm paying them back!

If there's already a repayment arrangement in place I reckon you'll be fine. I would just be honest and don't try to make out like they should take some blame because they won't. Even when the Glasgow housing benefit people fuck something up (which is quite often in my experience) they never, ever accept any fault on their part.

Archived