Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Has anyone ever had super acid reflux, where you wake up choking on bilesick coming up from your oesophagus into your mouth and spend the rest of the night clearing your throat and drinking water to try and get rid of the acid vomit taste?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My lips are rebelling against the rest of my face. I'm lathering myself in Vaseline and it's doing fuck all to sort out my cracked and bloody mouth.

Does anyone have any tips to sort this out? I'm starting to look like a drag act.

• Paid Members

Does anyone have any tips to sort this out? I'm starting to look like a drag act.

Contouring.

Also, I've had this problem — I've got a fucked up septum and sinuses, and part of my issue with my lips this winter was that I'd find myself mouth-breathing to make up for the problems with breathing through my nose, and that was fucking up my lips. Vaseline is good to project them and stop it getting worse, but you should look into some lipbalms with healing properties, stuff with beeswax or cocoa butter.

• Paid Members

Has anyone ever had super acid reflux, where you wake up choking on bilesick coming up from your oesophagus into your mouth and spend the rest of the night clearing your throat and drinking water to try and get rid of the acid vomit taste?

I'll get this sometimes, though usually when I've had something like pizza too soon before going to sleep (e.g. takeaway on way home from night out).

• Paid Members

I used to get this. I'd wake up choking, my throat and nose on fire, gasping for air and then having to sit up sipping milk to try and counteract the feeling. I'd taken pills for it but it always came back. I also got severe indigestion and had to carry Rennies with me everywhere. Turns out, I had a hiatus hernia. Had surgery on it a while back (very complicated positioning) and I haven't felt a thing since!

Is it very dangerous or just uncomfortable? I'm going on a LADZLADZLADZ holiday next week where I expect I'll be drunk on the nights, is there any realistic danger of dying choking on my own acid vomit if I'm too fucked to wake up if/when the bad happens? I think for me it's similar to BigBennyHG, related to eating too soon before sleeping. But I'm definitely not going to remember to avoid takeaways on the way back to the hotel. Possibly unrelated but I'm fairly sure I've got severe sleep apnea. Because I'm a stupid fat fuck who eats loads of junk food at night.

• Paid Members

Am going up to Newcastle this weekend for my mate's little boy's christening in Hexham. As that's a one-day thing, thought I'd take advantage and spend the rest of the weekend in the Toon. Went years ago on a day trip with my school, but don't remember much of it except a Chinese takeaway called "Wok This Way".

Figured there must be some good stuff I can go and see during the day, and good places to go for nightlife. Any suggestions? Don't bother mentioning the Blue Oyster - my mate's already recommended it, so it's first on my list; I hear it's got the best salad bar in town.

Personally my favourite place to drink in Newcastle is the Ouseburn Valley about 10 minutes walk from the Quayside. There is four great places to drink:

The Cluny: A bit of a hipster place but has a wide selction of beers and ciders. There is usually live music each night. 

Tyne Bar: Another pub with a great selection of beers. It has a free jukebox and at weekends they have bands that play under the arch of the viaduct in it's beer garden which makes for great acoustics. 

Free Trade: This is Brian Johnson's local when he is up in Newcastle. It has a cracking upstream view of the Tyne where you can see all the famous bridges. 

Cumberland Arms: A quirky little pub which is a bit folky but is probably the most welcoming pub in Newcastle. 

• Awards Moderator

Am going up to Newcastle this weekend for my mate's little boy's christening in Hexham. As that's a one-day thing, thought I'd take advantage and spend the rest of the weekend in the Toon. Went years ago on a day trip with my school, but don't remember much of it except a Chinese takeaway called "Wok This Way".

Figured there must be some good stuff I can go and see during the day, and good places to go for nightlife. Any suggestions? Don't bother mentioning the Blue Oyster - my mate's already recommended it, so it's first on my list; I hear it's got the best salad bar in town.

It's a shame you're not up next weekend (13th/14th) as The Late Shows are on that weekend - dozens of art, music and cultural venues staying open late with special events on. http://thelateshows.org.uk/2016

I'm not good on nightlife so would just recommend finding a copy of The Crack magazine and looking at the listings for stuff that's on.

Daytime, you're in a decent place already with Hexham. Good abbey there, plus you're on a road that'd link you to loads of places along Hadrian's Wall - Vindolanda's a good one, Corbridge is lovely. You're not far from the National Park either. Newcastle/Gateshead itself, you've got the usual sort of city museums and art galleries. Baltic's usually worth a look, the Sage is pretty close to that too for views etc. Fancy a burger, I'd go to the Fat Hippo Underground near the Theatre Royal. Head a bit further out (or up) into Northumberland and you've got castles galore - half hour train up to Alnmouth and then it's a short journey* to the likes of Alnwick (I can get you into this one free, PM me if you're interested), Warkworth, Dunstanburgh. A bit further up you've got Bamburgh and Lindisfarne (depending on the tides).

*short-ish. Public transport is crap up here so if you don't have a car you can find yourself a bit dependent on loooooong bus trips.

• Paid Members

I've got a question about Paypal. I didn't realise digital content didn't come under their seller protection policy. I sold a digital code for a PC game on eBay. The buyer has then lodged a dispute in which they claim unauthorised use of their account had occurred. The code had been redeemed.

So Paypal sided with them. Refunded their money, but as seller protection doesn't cover digital content, it has come out of my account.

Now, I'm a little peeved at this as it's quite one sided towards the buyer. But obviously my fault for not noticing I wasn't covered.

So my question actually is. Is there any alternatives to Paypal for selling on eBay? I understand that Paypal and eBay are no longer the same company.

• Paid Members

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

HG - thanks for the stuff about Hexham, but I've been to most of those places already. Didn't want to mention it because it makes me seem like an awful posho, but the school trip I went up on was the Classics Department's yearly Latin class summer trip to visit Hadrian's Wall and all the Roman sites around there. Corbridge was awesome and remains to this day one of only four occasions I've seen an absolutely clear night sky, which I was blown away by. Thanks also for the offer to get in at Alnwick Castle, but want to stay in Newcastle for this duration. Will definitely take you up on the offer next time I'm up, though - I've decided to do a bit more travelling around the UK in future. Had a great time up in Lindisfarne a few years ago, so definitely would like to see more of the North East.

Glenryck - Thanks for the pubs recs, will try and visit them all!

Chest - That exhibition does look great. Think I'll try and make that on Saturday.

Archived