Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

My lad has decided he wants a Go Pro type camera for his birthday. I've no idea which to get him or even if a Go Pro is the best option or if there are better brands available. Ideally it'll be for him to shoot BMXing videos but my Mrs may also pinch it to shoot Youtube vlogs so we want something with decent video and sound recording quality that won't break after 10 minutes. Not got a massive budget either, £150ish at a push. I'd seen this one but for under a hundred quid I've an inkling it might be a sack of shite. Any suggestions would be great! 

Sound quality on most of them isn't great but should be fine for a bit of vloging

The Gopro Hero is the base level GoPro camera and is really good quality. He's not going to get any super slow motion or anything out of it but it'll do really nice quality 1080p at 30fps and 720 at 60fps. it'll cost about £90-100

Its been replaced by the GoPro Session which gives bigger frame rates, a better built in mic and built in wifi for file transfer and using apps. That one is round about £150ish at the min.

Theres a lot of clones and cheaper brands out there offering 2k and 4k filming but at that price and with the size of the sensor it's not going to be great footage quality

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My lad has decided he wants a Go Pro type camera for his birthday. I've no idea which to get him or even if a Go Pro is the best option or if there are better brands available. Ideally it'll be for him to shoot BMXing videos but my Mrs may also pinch it to shoot Youtube vlogs so we want something with decent video and sound recording quality that won't break after 10 minutes. Not got a massive budget either, £150ish at a push. I'd seen this one but for under a hundred quid I've an inkling it might be a sack of shite. Any suggestions would be great! 

Sound quality on most of them isn't great but should be fine for a bit of vloging

The Gopro Hero is the base level GoPro camera and is really good quality. He's not going to get any super slow motion or anything out of it but it'll do really nice quality 1080p at 30fps and 720 at 60fps. it'll cost about £90-100

Its been replaced by the GoPro Session which gives bigger frame rates, a better built in mic and built in wifi for file transfer and using apps. That one is round about £150ish at the min.

Theres a lot of clones and cheaper brands out there offering 2k and 4k filming but at that price and with the size of the sensor it's not going to be great footage quality

Cheers for that. Are those FPS figures for 1080p and 720p decent then? Just incase something non-Go Pro crops up and I can compare.

Also, is sensor size something generally covered on specs when buying online?

• Paid Members

People love to get actual letters, in my experience. If you want it to go smoothly, just make it seem like something innocuous; cut the letters out of newspapers and magazines, that way it will evoke familiar feelings.

Aye, good stuff mate. Maybe I should put some razor blades in there too?

• Paid Members

If she lives in the flats and helps out your mother pop a small gift around, bottle of wine or something, and just say thankyou and you appreciate her help.

Facebook is fine though, but something a bit more personal says thankyou that bit better I'd think.

• Paid Members

People love to get actual letters, in my experience. If you want it to go smoothly, just make it seem like something innocuous; cut the letters out of newspapers and magazines, that way it will evoke familiar feelings.

Aye, good stuff mate. Maybe I should put some razor blades in there too?

Maybe something of hers, so she knows you know her?

• Paid Members

My lad has decided he wants a Go Pro type camera for his birthday. I've no idea which to get him or even if a Go Pro is the best option or if there are better brands available. Ideally it'll be for him to shoot BMXing videos but my Mrs may also pinch it to shoot Youtube vlogs so we want something with decent video and sound recording quality that won't break after 10 minutes. Not got a massive budget either, £150ish at a push. I'd seen this one but for under a hundred quid I've an inkling it might be a sack of shite. Any suggestions would be great!

Cheers for that. Are those FPS figures for 1080p and 720p decent then? Just incase something non-Go Pro crops up and I can compare.

Also, is sensor size something generally covered on specs when buying online?

Base level for fps at the minute would be 30fps at 1080p and 60 for 720p. They start shooting up when you pay more but it'll just mean you can get smooth slow motion if you want it. You will be able to find none go pro cameras that will offer higher fps.

Sensor size won't be mentioned anywhere but just keep in mind that even if they advertise it as a 2k / 4K camera it's all being filmed in a sensor the size of a finger nail so quality will be relative to that.

Has anybody ever attended an "interview under caution". I have to attend one in a few weeks concerning an over payment from the council, and I'm bricking to be honest. I was aware of the over payment, as the local council told me, and I'm paying it back accordingly in agreement with them, so not sure why this is needed and/or what I need to do :-/ 

Anybody else know anything this/done this before?

Update on this:

I went yesterday and said my piece about whats gone on. They spent about 40 minutes politely explaining how I'm basically a complete idiot for not looking at the various things they've send me over the years. Although a plus point is that about 99% of everything I've told told them, they've also checked with the revenue service and confirmed (along with my employer), such things as how much I earn/when that's gone up or down/my partner working or not working etc, which confirms I'm telling the truth on that one. 

I've been told i'll most likely receive a fine, which I understand can range from £300 to £5000, depending on how severe they decide this is (other options include dropping it altogether or carting me off to prison). Now its just a waiting game on my part. If they drop it, great, but I doubt that'd happen. If I get fined, it'll be another bump in the road to getting myself debt free (which was aiming to be next year if everything went well) and obviously if I go to prison, then I'm right stuffed. 

Here's hoping they see me for the complete and utter idiot that I am, (they know I've already agree'd to pay this back, prior to all of this) and give me a very stern slap on the wrist.

I was using Avast, but tbh that is pretty intrusive in the exact same way.

I fortunately now have a paid for one so no more intrusions. Sorry. That doesn't help you.. try this -

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Cheers for that, Chest. Somebody at work suggested Avast and said the pop ups are less frequent and less like ad-ware. He also suggested Avira, so I might give that a go first.

• Paid Members

Has anybody ever attended an "interview under caution". I have to attend one in a few weeks concerning an over payment from the council, and I'm bricking to be honest. I was aware of the over payment, as the local council told me, and I'm paying it back accordingly in agreement with them, so not sure why this is needed and/or what I need to do :-/ 

Anybody else know anything this/done this before?

Update on this:

I went yesterday and said my piece about whats gone on. They spent about 40 minutes politely explaining how I'm basically a complete idiot for not looking at the various things they've send me over the years. Although a plus point is that about 99% of everything I've told told them, they've also checked with the revenue service and confirmed (along with my employer), such things as how much I earn/when that's gone up or down/my partner working or not working etc, which confirms I'm telling the truth on that one. 

I've been told i'll most likely receive a fine, which I understand can range from £300 to £5000, depending on how severe they decide this is (other options include dropping it altogether or carting me off to prison). Now its just a waiting game on my part. If they drop it, great, but I doubt that'd happen. If I get fined, it'll be another bump in the road to getting myself debt free (which was aiming to be next year if everything went well) and obviously if I go to prison, then I'm right stuffed. 

Here's hoping they see me for the complete and utter idiot that I am, (they know I've already agree'd to pay this back, prior to all of this) and give me a very stern slap on the wrist.

Why have you got a fine if you are paying back the overpayment as agreed?

As mentioned above, that's the answer. 

i haven't gotten anything as of yet, as it'll take them a while to go through it I expect. I personally expect a fine, just down to how the interviewers came across etc, but who know's maybe they'll see it for what it is, a huge error on my part, which since this came to my attention I've said just as much. Its now down to them as to whether that's good enough or if they want to take it further, I'll have to wait and see.

• Moderators

I think it's a pretty dick move on their part to fine you for it if it comes to that; doesn't really inspire you to be honest. Save the fines for people who've tried to weasel out of it or acted deliberately deceitful or malicious in some other way!

Archived