Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Right, I had a terrible weekend on the booze and have developed a nightmare bunch of the 'ol arse knuckles in and around the piping. I don't want to go to the doctors for this, because I had to before and I'd rather pay for that kind of service in the comfort of my own home, if I so choose.

Tips on sorting this out? I'm making sure I'm eating healthy this week and am having a dry fortnight, but I'm in pain.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a couple of receipt emails from Apple for some apps and in-app purchases, but it's for an email account that I don't use for iTunes. I think I did years ago, but it's not the account on my phone or iPad. The apps were apparently bought on an iPod touch. I didn't have any of my current bank cards tied to that old account, and possibly not even any old ones so I don't understand what would be gained from hacking it. It may just be a phishing scam email? The thing is, due to apple's absurdly closed-shop system, I can't figure out how to get into the account to check whether those items are on my purchases. I don't want to have to change my phone's account to that one just to look, and I don't want to have to download iTunes on my laptop. Is there a simpler way to check?

I've had one of those before saying I bought a Tom Tom app when I didn't, so those are definitely phishing scam emails. I contacted Apple support who were very helpful and told me to just forward the emails to them in future and don't click on any links within the messages.

• Paid Members

Thanks for the feedback on the shirts/uniforms a couple of pages back guys, much appreciated.  Have to keep my cards fairly close to my chest at this stage, not because its in anyway important or confidential, but because it's a massive punt and I don't want to commit too strongly in case things don't pan out..

Which leads me nicely onto... 

Are there any social media professionals on here? I want to create Facebook and Twitter pages for this project to start to generate some buzz and interest, but will have very little to say initially and wondered if anyone had any advice on running a sort of 'teaser' campaign exclusively using social media channels?  There's no budget, and whilst I have ideas for the latter promotion it's the initial 'say something interesting without saying much' I'm struggling with in terms of creative ways to go about it.

• Awards Moderator

Are there any social media professionals on here? I want to create Facebook and Twitter pages for this project to start to generate some buzz and interest, but will have very little to say initially and wondered if anyone had any advice on running a sort of 'teaser' campaign exclusively using social media channels?  There's no budget, and whilst I have ideas for the latter promotion it's the initial 'say something interesting without saying much' I'm struggling with in terms of creative ways to go about it.

You can't do much without paying. Sponsored Tweets, Facebook Custom Audiences and LinkedIn ads (if relevant) are the way to drive audience and eyeballs from nothing.

If you want a quick read, Larry Kim is the genius at this. Here are his Moz posts.

PM if you want to talk in more specifics.

• Paid Members

Hi Onyx,

I might drop you a line if that's alright?  Apologies... so we'll spend a few bob on paid down the line, absolutely.  Where I specifically need help at the moment, is we're in the quandary of wanting to know if there's a demand, but having nothing to generate interest in as of yet, in that we haven't fully committed to doing it.

So I want to create a social presence along the lines of coming soon, that stirs curiosity without full-blown saying here's who we are and what our plans are.  Does that make sense?  We have plenty of relevant contacts in terms of getting things out there, it's more creative content with so little to say, teaser campaigns im interested in.

• Paid Members

Monkee has indeed been the source of numerous genius ideas in the past... Paging Monkee, come in, Monkee...

At your service. What is it specifically you're after? Drop me a PM if you want to throw some more details my way.

• Awards Moderator

I wouldn't spend a penny on a campaign without knowing if someone wants the product. If a tree falls in a forest...

If you want to know if there's demand, use a social listening tool like Audiense, Topsy or Followerwonk. Alternatively, find the appropriate subreddit and ask if anyone knows of a way to <fix problem that your tool services>?

Feel free to PM.

I asked about a Gameboy emulator for a laptop a while ago and the one that was recommended worked a treat.

I've heard people mention emulators for Android phones before but wouldn't know where to begin. Specifically, I'm looking to play Pokemon B/R and G/S on my Samsung. Anbody know how to do this. And, can I save the game data like you can on a computer?

Thanks.

I asked about a Gameboy emulator for a laptop a while ago and the one that was recommended worked a treat.

I've heard people mention emulators for Android phones before but wouldn't know where to begin. Specifically, I'm looking to play Pokemon B/R and G/S on my Samsung. Anbody know how to do this. And, can I save the game data like you can on a computer?

Thanks.

Emulators tend to use the same save files so you should in theory be able to install any gb emu for Android copy the roms over and then the saves too.

Point whatever emulator to the rom and save files and jobs a good un

Archived