Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Awards Moderator
Posted

The Godzilla film with Ferris Bueller legging around New York is so good. I know it got slated after it came out - but this is my go-to film when I can’t be arsed to think and I want a comforter.

IMG_1156.jpeg.198d315ec213998c7a12b7ba8059292b.jpeg

It’s the best kind of crap film: bad actors, massive budget, incredibly naff finale but good lord it’s so good.

Hank Azaria just about avoiding getting squashed, that fisherman legging it back down the pier, Jean Reno must be skint and Madison Square Garden becoming a playground for Broderick and his gumballs.

It’s honestly such a bad film but I absolutely love it. Like, really love it.

Yours?

 

  • Members
Posted

I've just rewatched Meet The Parents, Meet The Fockers and Little Fockers and love them all.

The first I think is actually great, with the other two diminishing returns big time, but I just have a blast with them. Jinxy Cat, Greg and Puff the Magic Dragon, Owen Wilson, then the Fockers parents, all absolute gold for me.

I also bloody love that terrible Avengers film (which one? Waheeeeeeeey) and that terrible The Saint film. Elisabeth Shue helped.

I even read the novelisation of the latter.

Cocktail too, genuinely one of my favourite films ever. One, along with Ghost and The Bodyguard (again, both bloody great!) me and my sisters would watch all the time. I live by Coghlans law.

Lovely thread, I'm sure I'll think of loads more!

  • Awards Moderator
Posted

Most films I like would be considered crap on here!

One that’s pretty widely considered bad that I love is Dracula: Dead and Loving It. Most would tell you it’s terrible and one of Mel Brooks’ worst. We got it out of the video shop when I was about 8, it was the first Mel Brooks thing I’d seen, and I thought it was hilarious. The staking scene still gets me every time.

I defend it, and I maintain it’s a better Dracula film than either Francis Ford Coppola’s one or that dreadful Steven Moffat TV version.

  • Paid Members
Posted
41 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Dude Where's My Car?

No reason. Always loved it. Clearly shit. Don't care.

It's just daft fun isn't it?  An absolute comfort film that I could watch at any time and then... NO AND THEN.

I'll add Freddy Got Fingered as something that never fails to raise a smile and sometimes a bit of my lunch.  Sausages and Backwards Man are still staples 20+ years on.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

The Mighty Ducks trilogy may be my all time collective favourite group of movies, and let's be honest they're all terrible and so Disney coded, all the way down to every villain team playing in Black. But there's something wholesome about the lot that just works as a comfort film, stupidly quotable at times and it probably did help me get into Hockey. 

Blues Brothers can be a bit of a controversial one, the skit itself is fantastic and the quality of cameo is amazing, but as a film it's fairly awful but again I find myself watching it two or three times a year. Just weird but wholesome fun and again quotable and memorable all the same. 

Edited by I Bent My Wookie
  • Paid Members
Posted

Jingle All The Way is still my favourite Christmas film.

I think it's probably true for most of us that anything I watched and liked between the ages of say 8 and 14, I find absolutely impossible to look at now with objective eyes. Most of them are absolutely terrible but nostalgia masks any shortcomings.

Godzilla, Jack Frost, Baby's Day Out, Homeward Bound, Space Jam. Basically any VHS you would see at every carboot going in the late 90s. 

Most slasher films are pretty shit objectively speaking, but I really enjoy the vast majority of them. Even shit like Halloween 4 and 5 are a great time for me. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
40 minutes ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

The Mighty Ducks

Watched these recently and still love them. Once you get past some of the cringe. Especially in the second one. Justice for Adam Banks. He didn’t deserve the shit they gave him.

Agree with @Lorne Malvo on Jingle All the Way and Baby’s Day Out. Baby’s Day Out is shite but I love it. I can’t even count how many times I watched that when I was a child. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I love Sister Act II: Back in the Habit so much that I’ll regularly go on YouTube to watch clips and will always watch it if I see it while flicking through channels. 

Is that considered a crap film though? I thought the Sister Act films were generally thought to be great.

  • Paid Members
Posted

It's got to be Waterworld for me, Clive. Always liked Kevin Costner, I love scifi, the soundtrack had a very Enigma quality to it, Dennis Hopper was hilarious, and it was the first film I ever went to see at the cinema by myself, the experience of which I loved.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

It's got to be Waterworld for me, Clive. Always liked Kevin Costner, I love scifi, the soundtrack had a very Enigma quality to it, Dennis Hopper was hilarious, and it was the first film I ever went to see at the cinema by myself, the experience of which I loved.

Always amazes me that they still have a show at Universal based on Waterworld. It's a lot of fun but how many people even know what it is now? I guess the show is good enough by itself to exist.

 

Posted

Crocodile Dundee II. It was on TV so much as a kid that I was amazed to find out it was a sequel as the first just never seemed to air on TV. I even went to see the often forgot third film when that came out, but that was actually shite in a not for this thread way.

Saw them mentioned earlier, but I think Halloween 4 & 5 were aired on the BBC or something when I was in my early teens so I recorded them onto a LP tape and they were my first exposure to that series. I'm extremely fond of the formulaic aspect of them, extremely fun horror nonsense. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...