Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Plans change.

IMG_5165.thumb.jpeg.1074f1e0ae7152ed250a8b9b7fc79ab4.jpeg

IMG_5169.jpeg.474d340c5d81b53fc3ee8d7ca659eaa8.jpeg

If Jericho must return, I hope Big Bill has got a patented Bag O’ Bricks with his name on it. Smash the leech’s face in!

Posted

AEW have been putting on some solid shows lately, but you're also comparing a general episode of Raw with a stacked Australian AEW show. I'd be concerned if you thought Raw was better.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Willow to drop the belt tonight without being pinned to move her onto Thekla maybe? 

Feel Shafir may take this and that'll be the blow off to the feud with Storm, transitional reign to then let Storm do some more character driven singles stuff away from the World Title, maybe even eventually a returning Mercedes Mone? 

  • Paid Members
Posted
11 minutes ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

Willow to drop the belt tonight without being pinned to move her onto Thekla maybe? 

Feel Shafir may take this and that'll be the blow off to the feud with Storm, transitional reign to then let Storm do some more character driven singles stuff away from the World Title, maybe even eventually a returning Mercedes Mone? 

While I wouldn’t be shocked to see Willow drop the belt, I suspect it would be so that she could focus on Babes of Wrath for a bit. 

I’m not convinced by Thekla as World Champion at all - at least not at this stage in her AEW career. She has the makings of a big star, don’t get me wrong, but I feel like she’s not quite managed to bring everything together in one solid package just yet. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

That Hangman segment kind of made Hangman look like a dummy.

Why would you add a stipulation to the title match that is so high risk?! You've already got the title match! You've beaten Max TWICE in normal matches already! There is nothing to gain for you here that you didn't have already!

The only way it would have made a bit of sense is if Hangman asked for a Texas Death but MJF said "ok, but ONLY if you can never go for the title again if you lose". 

This and the Scurll selfie...maybe Hangman really is an empty headed dumb fuck?

  • Paid Members
Posted

I haven't watched for a few weeks since I binned Triller but just to point out something else AEW do really well, I went searching for the Dynamite results this morning and found them on AEW's own website in a huge, clear recap of the show. Really pleased not to have to visit some aids ridden site to get them.

Felt a pang of disappointment that I didn't see the closing match and angle. A shame but, I'll live. 

Posted
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

That Hangman segment kind of made Hangman look like a dummy.

Why would you add a stipulation to the title match that is so high risk?! You've already got the title match! You've beaten Max TWICE in normal matches already! There is nothing to gain for you here that you didn't have already!

The only way it would have made a bit of sense is if Hangman asked for a Texas Death but MJF said "ok, but ONLY if you can never go for the title again if you lose". 

This and the Scurll selfie...maybe Hangman really is an empty headed dumb fuck?

It's arse backwards booking from a face in a way, but after saying I had no interest in the match, now I do. Because Hangman not being able to go for the title ever again adds some intrigue to me. The reason Cody did it was some misguided self exile that became an issue because the obvious outcome was a heel turn that never came. With Page, it's more interesting now if he wins or loses, especially with what happened in the Swerve/Omega match too. Baffling way they went about it though, never make the babyface look dim.

Posted

Swerve/Kenny was great. Really loved that and hopefully there'll be an inevitable PPV rematch down the road where they step it up even more.

I'm just sat there in awe of Kenny sometimes. Genuinely had moments where I thought we'd never see him like this ever again.

  • Paid Members
Posted

When the Don Callis Family backstage beat down started I was groaning, Im more than done with that shit.

Then they just stopped, and Lance Archer finished the skit with a guy just draped over his shoulder like a cheap scarf. I was back on board.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Really enjoyed the 4 way TBS match. Just highlighted how great Willow is as a singles act and that should be her 100% focus.

Swerve/Omega was predictably excellent. It's been a joy having regular Omega matches back. My guess is this'll be his schedule going forwards - a couple of weeks of bangers, then a break to recover.

Not sure I like a Swerve heel turn. The good thing about his character is that he's already kind of a heel and can easily swap back and forth from face to heel depending on who he's against without it being inconsistent or out of character. I can't think of many top babyfaces for him to go up against as a fully fledged heel.

Glad Thunder Rosa is back. In-ring she's not a top level talent but she's someone I've always been fond of. She's got great babyface fire and I'll always have time for her. 

Edited by LaGoosh
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Not sure I like a Swerve heel turn. The good thing about his character is that he's already kind of a heel and can easily swap back and forth from face to heel depending on who he's against without it being inconsistent or out of character. I can't think of many top babyfaces for him to go up against as a fully fledged heel.

All a bit frustrating isn't it?

If they were going to turn Swerve heel, they should have done it to take the title off Hangman back end of last year, instead of having to go to Joe, then to MJF.

Would have been bang up for a heel Swerve title run over the past few months, imagine the excitement of a Swerve/Hangman Revolution main event with there history, and it being for the title now instead of another MJF/Hangman match.

Edited by The King of Old School
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

They say that the best characters in pro-wrestling are the wrestler’s real personalities turned up to eleven. I can completely believe that the same moron who felt sorry and remained friends with a nonce would also willingly Cody himself and risk never challenging for the Title again.

However, if Swerve Strickland costs Hangman Adam Page the match and then pulls this exact same face? All is forgiven. We are back in business.

IMG_5172.thumb.jpeg.defbb804af3cbfd7a92c48c2e2d85b32.jpeg

Edited by Supremo
  • Paid Members
Posted

It wouldn't surprise me if we're heading back towards Swerve/Hangman, and that we'll see quite a few more World Title changes this year, to contrast the lengthy Moxley reign.

We don't know what stipulation MJF is adding to the title match yet, but we do know that Swerve is currently without a match for Revolution - Kenny will be out of the picture, and in terms of anyone who might want to defend his honour, the Young Bucks and Hangman are accounted for, and Jack Perry is still involved with Ricochet, so short of really quickly throwing something together for Revolution, there's no obvious match coming out of this big angle and what looks an awful lot like a full-blown heel turn.

So my prediction is that MJF's stip is that Swerve is the special guest referee for the World Title match. MJF can then spend the next couple of weeks playing them off each other, needling both of them, right when they had finally put their rivalry behind them. Hangman will be, presumably, pissed off about what Swerve did to Kenny Omega, while MJF can get in Swerve's ear about how as the referee of that match he will have the power to keep Hangman away from the World Title forever, and in Hangman's ear about how he can't trust Swerve. Basically do the Summerslam '97 finish of Swerve getting involved and giving Hangman the win, but in such a way that keeps it ambiguous about what he was actually trying to do, and whether he was really trying to put Hangman out of the picture for good. That ignites the Hangman/Swerve feud again, ride that through to a Swerve title win over Hangman.

Depending on when Will Ospreay is cleared to come back, they can pick up the dangling thread of an Ospreay/Swerve match, with Will either beating Swerve for the belt at Wembley, or returning at Wembley to confront Swerve after a Hangman/Swerve title match. Everyone has been assuming a long reign for MJF because they assumed Will is beating him at All In, but I think Will beating Swerve is the direction.

 

Beyond the main event, I thought this was the same kind of show as recent weeks - good, but frustrating in the parts that it wasn't. It shouldn't fall to a heel team like The Demand to make the point I've been making for months, that the Trios Champions never defend their belts, and that they're always too busy wrestling singles matches - and as much as I've wanted The Demand to be the focal point of the Trios division since they formed, it's typical that they only start talking about it while Ricochet already has a singles title. 

The main point of frustration was poor follow-up of angles from Grand Slam. Bryan Danielson brought up Yuta keeping his shaved head covered, but we saw him twice (in hat and hoodie), without anyone to draw attention to it - he should be getting mocked and ridiculed, so it's a moment when somebody finally tears that hat off his head to reveal that he's bald. That's the point of heels losing hair matches. Similarly, Megan Bayne just wrestling in a four way, with Lena Kross being mentioned in passing, rather than having any actual appearance or follow-up from Lena debuting and aligning herself with Bayne and Ford in the first place - to say nothing of Megan and Marina both somehow earning a title shot after being on losing teams at the last show.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...