Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Do we reckon Roderick Strong is joining the Death Riders? They had Garcia and Moxley both bigging him up this week and then there's the obvious Marina connection.

I can see him costing Orange Cassidy the match (and his hair) at Grand Slam then him and Marina doing the 'tongues down each others throats' bit that heel couples are so fond of.  

It's probably not the worst idea, I'd rather Strong in the Death Riders than carrying on this 'I'm not in the Conglomoration' bit which has gone on for what seems about 8 months. But doing a heel turn for the Death Riders when we're meant to be cheering them over Don Callis Family in other parts of the show would be classic AEW.

Edited by Lorne Malvo
  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

Is there not just the chance brody was flown to Aus early for press media etc rather than anything more than that

That would be my guess. I don’t doubt the denial to be honest. If they’d made a decision ‘to please Trump’, issuing a denial that would surely piss him off would be an odd thing to do. My guess is that someone notable speculated this might be the case to Meltzer and, as he so often seems to do, he treated it as fact.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Do we reckon Roderick Strong is joining the Death Riders?

I hadn't considered that. He's a pretty decent fit but as always with Roderick Strong it's not exactly hugely exciting. I definitely don't want to see him and Shafir as an on-screen couple. That would do Shafir no good at all.

Personally rather than adding new members I want to see them betray Moxley pretty soon!

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Do we reckon Roderick Strong is joining the Death Riders? They had Garcia and Moxley both bigging him up this week and then there's the obvious Marina connection.

I think you’re an exceptional poster, but I want you to know that I’ll be holding the suggestion of more TV time for Roderick Strong against you for a very, very long time. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I hadn't considered that. He's a pretty decent fit but as always with Roderick Strong it's not exactly hugely exciting. I definitely don't want to see him and Shafir as an on-screen couple. That would do Shafir no good at all.

Personally rather than adding new members I want to see them betray Moxley pretty soon!

The thought hadn't entered my mind until Garcia's pre-match inset where he called Strong a legend teaming with a bunch of clowns, or something along those lines. Then Moxley spent a good chunk of the match on comms praising him.

Like you say, nothing Strong does at this point will set the world on fire and they need to be beaking the group up rather than expanding it, but it felt like they dropped enough hints that I think it might be the direction they're going.


@RedTwoster I won't lie, everytime I see Strong now I have a little chuckle at your hatred for him 😆

Edited by Lorne Malvo
  • Paid Members
Posted

Roddy Strong is a great in-ring wrestler best suited for the Tag Division where someone else does his promos, so being a member of the Death Riders feels perfect for him. He could team with Claudio, Pac or Garcia and make a great run for the belts.

It would also stop the shitty gimmick where he shouts people’s names. Wasn’t funny in the first place, then it seemed to be revealed it was all a ruse to trick MJF during The Devil angle, then he just carried on doing it regardless. Dog shit.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:


@RedTwoster I won't lie, everytime I see Strong now I have a little chuckle at your hate for him 😆

I genuinely said - out loud - ‘fuck off, Lorne’ when I read your original post. Out of the trivial things on this planet right now, I think he might irritate me more than anything else!

Edited by RedTwoster
  • Paid Members
Posted
8 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:


@RedTwoster I won't lie, everytime I see Strong now I have a little chuckle at your hatred for him

I do the exact same thing!

The most I've enjoyed Strong was when he was Adam Cole's pathetic, jealous ex-boyfriend. He was great at that for about a month then it all went to shit. I think the Better Than You Bay-Bay may be the best storyline that turned into the worst storyline in wrestling history. In just a few months they went from the entire fanbase being locked in and hugely invested to everyone sick to death of it.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I can still forget that Roderick Strong is in a match when I'm watching him in the match. As forgettable a wrestler as I've ever seen. He was also one of the few bad Hey EW's.

  • Paid Members
Posted

The shouting names thing is just the perfect example of wrestlers constantly taking the wrong lesson from what gets over - he was the most entertaining he's ever been as a jealous, desperate, pathetic little man, and constantly shouting after Adam Cole was an expression of that. But to just keep "he shouts people's names" as a running bit out of that completely missed the point.

I've no interest in Strong in the Death Riders short of a serious reconfiguration of what the Death Riders are (which is long overdue anyway), while OC still has the Yuta feud to deal with, is misjudged. I think putting Marina Shafir in an on-screen relationship risks really undermining what she's about - I don't want to think of that character as someone with a family - but it does worry me that the fallout from the Hair vs. Hair match will be Toni & OC vs. Roddy & Marina.

Roderick Strong would benefit from being in a heel faction. I would have just left it a week and got him in with either The Opps or War Dogs, rather than further muddying the waters of the Death Riders.
 

Quote

I think the Better Than You Bay-Bay may be the best storyline that turned into the worst storyline in wrestling history. In just a few months they went from the entire fanbase being locked in and hugely invested to everyone sick to death of it.

Between the Adam Cole feud, The Devil, the go nowhere Hurt Syndicate angle, beating Samoa Joe to end Hangman's title reign early, and countless awful promos, MJF is tied up in so much of the absolute dogshit worst of AEW, and not just bad stuff, but the real "this company has completely lost direction" red flag stuff.

 

 

Something I have just remembered from Dynamite - JetSpeed talking about going for other titles. Defend the ones you have, for fuck's sake. The Trios Titles are constantly tied up in singles feuds, they haven't defended them once since winning them, but already they're talking about winning other belts. People talk about how the Trios Titles are a waste of time because there isn't the roster depth or enough teams or whatever else, but imagine if instead of being on a tag team and a singles guy who is locked into a completely unrelated feud, or on a World Title contender/champion and his mates (as they have been since last April, and they were already on the Death Riders for months before that), they were involved in the brilliant Trios match that opened this show? What if these fantastic trios matches they kept booking were actually about contention for the Trios Titles, rather than the Trios Champions consistently wanting to do anything but defend those belts?

Posted

I'd like to see Swerve go heel and pick up Private Party for a trio then you could have Jet Set Horsecocks, a new Mogul Embassy and the Elite doing some trios stuff.

Though I'd still prefer a lesser team to get them and just have mad exhibition matches which is what a trios should be. Give them Sky Flight or somebody, I dunno.

Posted
6 minutes ago, gmoney said:

What's his link to Private Party? 

They just worked with the Bucks and they're associated with Kenny, so put them with Swerve as I think the Kenny/Swerve feud is probably gonna go beyond next week, so you can drag it out with some Trios matches out of it furthering two different angles in both singles and tag matches instead of letting Private Party flounder, and they have a history in AEW with the Bucks. There's no link, but Private Party never struck me as strong talkers, although I think Zay did get a lot better on the mic before they vanished for an absolute age. Plus you can tie in Hangman and JetSpeed with his frenemies history with The Elite.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

They've just hired The Rascalz. Just give them the Trios belts and build it around them having weekly spotfests on Collision. It's the simplest and most logical option.

Edited by LaGoosh
Posted
3 hours ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

Is there not just the chance brody was flown to Aus early for press media etc rather than anything more than that

From his Instagram it seems he's been there for a couple of days at least. You'd think that would be something "journalists" would check.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...