Paid Members RedTwoster Posted February 11 Author Paid Members Posted February 11 38 minutes ago, Supremo said: I saw Mick Foley mention that he’s been enjoying AEW recently with all the anti-ICE coverage. Am I naive to think they should consider bringing him in? It’s crossed my mind too. He was an excellent colour-commentator on Smackdown, and for the sake of keeping their commentary team fresh, he’d potentially be a good addition. I still think they should look to add a few female voices to their announce desks though, with Nyla Rose standing out as a good candidate if they’re not going to use her as a wrestler. Foley could also make a good manager for the right act - they need to do something to end the monopoly of TV time Don Callis has built up, and offloading some of his acts to someone else would help with that. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted February 11 Awards Moderator Posted February 11 I’m not sure whether Foley would feel like William Regal did in AEW: nice to have him there but you can’t ever fully invest because you’re just waiting for him to head back “home” at the first opportunity. Quote
King Mal the Glorious Posted February 11 Posted February 11 I read recently that Mick is essentially retired as an on-screen performer. He struggles with his memory so acting and following a script is out, I'd imagine the same for commentary. He still does his one man shows but that's him telling stories he's told a thousand times before, can probably do it in his sleep. Shame as if he was up for it I'd love him in AEW. Quote
Infinity Land Posted February 11 Posted February 11 1 hour ago, Supremo said: I saw Mick Foley mention that he’s been enjoying AEW recently with all the anti-ICE coverage. Am I naive to think they should consider bringing him in? Maybe I’m biased for watching all the In Your House shows recently, but at one point Mick was an actual genius for this stuff. Saved Undertaker’s career. Made stars out of Triple H, Randy Orton and Edge. Somehow took a concept as shit as Mankind the Mutilator and turned it into one of the most fascinating and successful characters of all time. Do we think Mick still has a mind for it? Could he provide something in 2026? Or would he just be pitching a Melina run on top? For that matter, would he even want to come in? Or does he still have that weird Stockholm Sydrome with WWE? They never ever give him half the credit he deserves and barely make mention of him as one of the pillars of the Attitude Era, yet even when he fucks then off for being a horrible MAGA company you still imagine him sending Vince and Hunter poetry about how much he loves them. Jake Roberts, Paul Wight, Jim Ross are all collecting paydays. So I don't see the harm in bringing in Mick. I don't think there's any particular full-time role for him, but if they wanted to do a licensing deal now that he's not under a WWE deal I don't see the harm. Talking head for Owen Hart Cup/Blood & Guts type situations. Can have him at fan events/media. Maybe the rare on TV appearance. There can be value in bringing him in, it doesn't outweigh the cost but that's won't often stop TK. Quote
Paid Members Kamran Posted February 11 Paid Members Posted February 11 They've released a couple of match posters tonight: Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted February 12 Author Paid Members Posted February 12 I thought that was an excellent episode on the whole, although I remain unconvinced by the overall direction. I’d settled on the fact that Ciampa/Fletcher not taking place in Australia probably made it more likely that Ciampa would retain. I was pretty convinced by that, actually - so the result really surprised me. What a fantastic match, too. If this had taken place towards the end of last year rather than the beginning of 2026, I think I might have nominated it for match of the year at the UKFF Awards (not that I’d have voted for it over the Hollywood Ending - but it gives you an idea of how much I liked it) - I hope this is remembered come December, it was very good indeed and another example of Ciampa showing his value. I can’t say I’d been expecting Thekla to win the World title, and as weak a champion as Stat has been, I’d argue she’s been a weak babyface champion - and turning her heel, but keeping the belt on her might have been the better move. She’s already shown she can be an effective heel, and if you’d turned her you’d have had genuinely intriguing title matches such as Storm and Mone rematches, Willow and an underdog Harley Cameron. Thekla looks like a star, her mannerisms are great and her in-ring is strong - but her promos are horrendous. She could do with a manager for sure. I don’t think she’s the right option to hold the World title at this stage, and it’s not like there is a shortage of credible candidates on that side of the roster. Heck, I’d have opted for a carefully booked Marina Shafir run over Thekla. She’s clearly talented though, so we’ll see how this goes. Swerve/Kenny was a very good segment, and I continue to think that the best course of action is to have Swerve turn heel and take the title, particularly if the plan is for Ospreay to challenge for the belt at All In. They need a new top heel, and Swerve is outstanding in that role. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted February 12 Posted February 12 It’s wild how great those match posters are and the one they put out to promote the on sale date for All In at Wembley looks like it was designed by a 5 year old Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted February 12 Paid Members Posted February 12 Thekla, hell yeah! Loved the main event and the right winner too. That three way tag had endless flippy nonsense that was impossible to remember seconds later but Thekla digging elbows into open wounds, gouging eyes and hard kicks to the head is exactly my shit. I especially liked how Statlander was physically superior so to turn the tide Thekla had to throw her entire body weight into the strap. Really smart psychology throughout. I love Thekla, she's great in the ring technically but she also is a mean wrestler who wrestles like she is trying to hurt her opponent rather than just win a match. And I especially love how she's not a cool heel, she's an absolute dork. Her "Let's get toxic", "Blood in my eyes!" dumb song, goofy attempts to be dark and spooky and try hard persona is just perfect. My only issue was they didn't give her win even a moment to settle before the hideously named Brawling Birds were out with hammers(!) to run them all off. Rest of the show was good with some not great. - Swerve/Omega segment was good but it had the bad AEW booking trope of something big happening then immediately moving on and forgetting about it. Would it really have been so much effort to linger a bit longer on both men destroyed in the tables? Or a 30 second promo from Omega backstage latter all banged up in the trainers room challenging Swerve to a match rather than just announcing it? Just adding little bits of connective tissue would really give things more meaning. - When I saw Orange/Strong vs Garcia/Connors announced I actually laughed at how pointless and random it was. But it actually turned out to be a really gripping and exciting match! Toni was as brilliant as always post match. I think Yuta is definitely getting his head shaved next week but they've done a good job of seeding in enough doubt so it doesn't feel like a foregone conclusion. - this DCF/Deathriders feud is basically just matches with no real story to it at all but the matches are brilliant regardless. I could watch these six man tags every week for six months they're so good. - the booking around Fletcher/Briscoe is the perfect encapsulation of bad Tony Khan booking. On paper it all makes sense but in practice it's just weird because it muddles the babyface/heel divide and has weirdly derailed momentum and come out of nowhere. - I hate Private Party. I hate the Rascals. I hate Young Bucks TV matches. I have seen enough dives, superkicks and cutters to last a life time. Please no more. - FTR/Bucks feels like one of those "generational" feuds that never really felt like as big of a deal as it should have no matter how many times they tell you how big it is. I'll pass, thanks. Quote
Infinity Land Posted February 12 Posted February 12 28 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said: It’s wild how great those match posters are and the one they put out to promote the on sale date for All In at Wembley looks like it was designed by a 5 year old I'm guessing they have some surprises lined up for Revolution they think will spike initial interest. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted February 12 Paid Members Posted February 12 (edited) Tomasso Ciampa coming to AEW with such terrifying tales of being stuck in the dog shit Smackdown division that Private Party immediately sign a new contract with AEW. Funny. Leaving themselves five months to sell Wembley Stadium feels mad, so you assume they have something big up their sleeve. Tickets go on sale the day after Revolution, so my prediction is this’ll be Will Ospreay and AJ Styles making the double debut/return at the end of the show, to generate some much-needed buzz. Edited February 12 by Supremo Quote
Infinity Land Posted February 12 Posted February 12 25 minutes ago, Supremo said: Tomasso Ciampa coming to AEW with such terrifying tales of being stuck in the dog shit Smackdown division that Private Party immediately sign a new contract with AEW. Funny. Leaving themselves five months to sell Wembley Stadium feels mad, so you assume they have something big up their sleeve. Tickets go on sale the day after Revolution, so my prediction is this’ll be Will Ospreay and AJ Styles making the double debut/return at the end of the show, to generate some much-needed buzz. Bucks/FTR again seems like a set-up for Cope & Christian to return as well. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted February 12 Author Paid Members Posted February 12 41 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: I hate Private Party. I hate the Rascals. I hate Young Bucks TV matches. I have seen enough dives, superkicks and cutters to last a life time. Please no more. Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Goes to show you how good the rest of the show was when I didn’t even think to mention those boring bastards being the surprise reveal. At least they didn’t win. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted February 12 Paid Members Posted February 12 Cope/Christian vs. FTR vs. Young Bucks in a TLC match feels more likely than ever. Cope and Christian bring the brains to lay it all out. Nick, Matt and Cash sacrifice their bodies to take all the mad bumps. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted February 12 Posted February 12 (edited) 52 minutes ago, Infinity Land said: I'm guessing they have some surprises lined up for Revolution they think will spike initial interest. I don’t doubt that they probably do, but it’s just the halfarsed nature of it all. “Show in England you say? Bang a couple of red buses on there. Sex Pistols are still a thing there right? Do that punky font somewhere” And those flags are far too high. Everyone knows you attach them half way up a lamppost with those plastic tiewraps Edited February 12 by WyattSheepMask Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted February 12 Paid Members Posted February 12 (edited) The Wembley announcement had me going back to watch these entrances. This is the match, isn’t it? Will Ospreay going into Wembley Stadium, coming off neck surgery, with a Wembley tattoo on his arm, to win the Title in his home country from the biggest prick in the game. Edit; Meltzer reporting Warner made the call that Brodie wasn’t allowed on the show due to the, “Fuck ICE” chants. “The deal is that they didn’t want the fans in the arena to be chanting that. If Brody came out, there was that risk…when he comes back it will happen again. I don’t know how they’re going to handle it. This is again not a Tony call. This is from above. You know what it is, nobody wants to get on Trump’s bad side. If it wasn’t for that nobody would care, it’s just a chant, but unfortunately they’ve got a company they’re trying to sell and get regulatory approval from a guy who is gonna take that stuff personal. That’s just how it is. No Brody King on the show when he and MJF absolutely should have had a segment on the show.” (via Dave Meltzer & Bryan Alvarez) Edited February 12 by Supremo Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.