Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted February 3 Awards Moderator Posted February 3 12 minutes ago, Supremo said: “And for six years, I think because of those reactions, he's been unable to be a part of mainstream professional wrestling because of, you know, what the public perception would be.” This is the bit that stood out for me. It’s not that he shouldn’t be part of mainstream professional wrestling because of what he did, it’s that he’s been “unable to be” because of “the public perception”. Whatever else he’s saying in that clip, here it feels like he’s saying the guy did nothing wrong but because so many people think he did, he just can’t catch a break poor lad. Nah. I’d hoped Hangman would address this but I wish it was something a bit better than this. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted February 3 Awards Moderator Posted February 3 (edited) I double posted and I blame the public perception for it Edited February 3 by HarmonicGenerator Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted February 3 Paid Members Posted February 3 (edited) 24 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: There's a lot being said there but this is what stood out the most. It's not that he's sorry. It's that he's sorry he was caught. As I said previously, I don't expect that nonce to never have friends or a job. I question those friends but if they choose to stick by him, then that's up to them. Millions of people do. But getting himself on his noncey mates social media is really fucking stupid. 13 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said: This is the bit that stood out for me. It’s not that he shouldn’t be part of mainstream professional wrestling because of what he did, it’s that he’s been “unable to be” because of “the public perception”. Whatever else he’s saying in that clip, here it feels like he’s saying the guy did nothing wrong but because so many people think he did, he just can’t catch a break poor lad. I'm not sure that's fair either when he also said "I guess I kind of will make a couple things clear about it. I completely recognize that what he did, his actions, are abhorrent. Disgraceful. They are. There's no excuse. I completely recognize that" 13 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said: Nah. I’d hoped Hangman would address this but I wish it was something a bit better than this. Agree. Doesn't change anything for me. He's entitled to still be this cunt's friend. I'm entitled to not like it one bit. And I don't. Edited February 3 by tiger_rick Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted February 3 Author Paid Members Posted February 3 35 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: There's a lot being said there but this is what stood out the most. It's not that he's sorry. It's that he's sorry he was caught. Perhaps I’m being overly generous, but it reads to me like he’s differentiating between privately maintaining a friendship with Scurll and publicly posting a photo of the two of them - the latter of which could only really be seen as an endorsement, or even a gesture downplaying the significance of the allegations. Whether he’s right to maintain a friendship at all is another thing, and it’s totally legitimate to question his judgment on that front. I’ve seen people dismissing him as performative and I’m not sure I agree with that. A poor decision - even a significantly crappy one - doesn’t automatically undermine the sincerity of his positions on other issues. I don’t really know how I feel about it personally if I’m honest. I’ve gone from feeling disappointed to feeling like the reaction has, in some cases, tipped over to excess. Maybe that’s his own fault, and he probably does deserve a bashing, at least in the short term. But even when someone’s judgment is rightly questioned, I’m not sure reducing everything they’ve supported as empty posturing serves those causes well. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted February 3 Paid Members Posted February 3 I don’t think it was a terrible response, it could have been worse. Basically what he said was he’s a predator, I don’t agree with what he did. But I was a close friend before this came to light and on that level I have a friendship with him still. It’s why people are normally grey. I’ve got friends who have voted Tory I’ll never talk to again, and friends I still do because of other reasons. I’m not explaining it very well I’m sure but relationships are often very complex. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted February 3 Posted February 3 4 minutes ago, RedTwoster said: Perhaps I’m being overly generous, but it reads to me like he’s differentiating between privately maintaining a friendship with Scurll and publicly posting a photo of the two of them - the latter of which could only really be seen as an endorsement, or even a gesture downplaying the significance of the allegations. Whether he’s right to maintain a friendship at all is another thing, and it’s totally legitimate to question his judgment on that front. I’ve seen people dismissing him as performative and I’m not sure I agree with that. A poor decision - even a significantly crappy one - doesn’t automatically undermine the sincerity of his positions on other issues. I don’t really know how I feel about it personally if I’m honest. I’ve gone from feeling disappointed to feeling like the reaction has, in some cases, tipped over to excess. Maybe that’s his own fault, and he probably does deserve a bashing, at least in the short term. But even when someone’s judgment is rightly questioned, I’m not sure reducing everything they’ve supported as empty posturing serves those causes well. A lot of it can be read in multiple ways and we're all just making our own judgements really. Personally I read it as "ah shit, I would've been fine if that damn photo hadn't gone out!" which wasn't the best approach to an apology and would've probably been better left out. In situations like this you're very much damned if you do and damned if you don't. The apology will be taken various ways by people and may or may not be enough. No apology and you've screwed up there too. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted February 3 Awards Moderator Posted February 3 19 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: I'm not sure that's fair either when he also said "I guess I kind of will make a couple things clear about it. I completely recognize that what he did, his actions, are abhorrent. Disgraceful. They are. There's no excuse. I completely recognize that" That is true and I’m picking and choosing bits from it and overreacting somewhat. It is about as good a response as we’re ever likely to get from a wrestler. I just want to like Hangman like I did three weeks ago again! Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted February 3 Paid Members Posted February 3 He seems pretty earnest in the video. Similar to others, I don’t know how to feel about it, and anything I do feel is likely clouded by my biases. I want to like him like I once did, so I’m probably looking for a reason to forgive that I wouldn’t afford other wrestlers. At least it’s a nuanced response beyond what we’d normally get in this business. I expected him to either ignore it entirely or drop the classic, “no charges, so probably innocent!” Ultimately, if we’re to believe everything he’s saying, the proof is in the pudding, isn’t it? On a human level, you tried to check in on a horrible cunt who’s proven to not understand the concept of consent. Why would you be shocked when he then posts a photograph of you together, without getting your permission? The fuck did you expect? Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted February 3 Author Paid Members Posted February 3 (edited) 31 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: A lot of it can be read in multiple ways and we're all just making our own judgements really. Personally I read it as "ah shit, I would've been fine if that damn photo hadn't gone out!" which wasn't the best approach to an apology and would've probably been better left out. In situations like this you're very much damned if you do and damned if you don't. The apology will be taken various ways by people and may or may not be enough. No apology and you've screwed up there too. That’s true - people pore over every word, meaning you have to be exceptionally careful with your words so that a meaning to it isn’t inferred that wasn’t intended. And that’s really difficult to do. I don’t like his decision, but on the whole I don’t think it’s affected how I feel about him on the whole. Not enormously, at least. I’m still not completely certain about that, but it’s what I’m leaning towards. Edited February 3 by RedTwoster Quote
DavidB6937 Posted February 3 Posted February 3 I have to give credit to Alba for being willing to tackle the subject and I guess also Hangman for at least attempting to give a reasoned response. It's a far cry from HHH answering something in a press conference. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted February 3 Paid Members Posted February 3 7 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: It's a far cry from HHH not answering something in a press conference. Fixed it for you Quote
Snitsky's back acne Posted February 3 Posted February 3 1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said: There's a lot being said there but this is what stood out the most. It's not that he's sorry. It's that he's sorry he was caught. Hangman Hogan. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted February 3 Paid Members Posted February 3 1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said: That is true and I’m picking and choosing bits from it and overreacting somewhat. It is about as good a response as we’re ever likely to get from a wrestler. I just want to like Hangman like I did three weeks ago again! Me too, buddy. No pun intended. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted February 3 Paid Members Posted February 3 2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said: There's a lot being said there but this is what stood out the most. It's not that he's sorry. It's that he's sorry he was caught. He didn't actually say sorry though? I'm not sure how I think about it. I think Hangman addressed it in a somewhat reasonable and genuine way. But I can’t deny it makes me feel grubby and has definitely put me off him. Quote
Paid Members Kamran Posted February 4 Paid Members Posted February 4 Coming up this week on Dynamite: Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.