Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Hangman can disguise himself as Mark Davis next time he has a cheeky Nando’s with a nonce.

Edited by Supremo
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I’m not sure what’s happened to him exactly, but since returning, Andrade has looked like a fucking megastar. I’d never been particularly bothered by him, but I feel like the ceiling for him is much higher than it was during his previous run with AEW. 

I also like the fact they only seem to be advertising the bigger matches in advance. Not so keen on the fact that none of them feature female wrestlers though, sort that one out, Tony.

Edited by RedTwoster
  • Paid Members
Posted
41 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Any rumours/development on AJ Styles since his "retirement"? Still any AEW rumours?

Nothing yet but you'd imagine they would keep that all very tight to their chests. If AJ is willing then I'm sure AEW will give him whatever he wants to come in.

Posted

Thought Mark Davis was Drew Gulak for a split second and thought they were booking him against Hangman for a laugh given his recent dalliance with silliness.

Posted
38 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Nothing yet but you'd imagine they would keep that all very tight to their chests. If AJ is willing then I'm sure AEW will give him whatever he wants to come in.

WWE-Raw-Good-Brothers-AJ-Styles-645x370.

If AJ does come in it could very easily end up in some version of the Elite/Bullet Club loop with Don Callis thrown in. 

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I’ll comment on the rest of the show later when I have a bit more time - but just to say, wrestling crowds often get a hard time - and justifiably so - but the ‘Fuck ICE’ chants genuinely made me tear up. Well done to whoever started the chant, to everyone who picked up on it and to Brody King for speaking out on this one. For me, that will take some beating at the 2026 UKFF Awards for moment of the year. I still have goosebumps.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I don't really know what you do with Darby Allin. The guy has wrestled everyone to the point now that they just seem to be keeping his Deathriders/Gabe Kidd feud going forever because there's pretty much nothing left to do with him. They really need to consider turning him heel this year - it'll open up things for him massively.

Gabe Kidd is so awful and his stuff this week was dreadful.

Decent show. A bit match heavy (and far too much repetition of spots across the show) to the point it felt like a mini PPV but every match was enjoyable enough.

The opening six man was excellent and there are endless combinations of matches they can do between the DCF and Death Riders which are all very exciting though I'd like to see a bit more personal animosity and tension in this feud.

Sad to say the recent stuff has soured me on Hangman. His title reign was bad enough but I've lost all interest in him. Sad because he was my absolute fave six months ago. Good showing from Dunkzilla.

Jack Perry is an ok wrestler but as a babyface the fans will never truly love him, he just doesn't have it, and that always brings his matches down. There was a really cool spot where Richochet hit rolling suplexes from the ring to the floor and then a Death Valley Driver which they should have milked for all it was worth with a near countout but instead they just went immediately back in the ring and hit about 6 more moves.

What was with Ciampa doing that weird dive off the chair at the end of his promo? It was like he was all of a sudden being chased by someone. A peculiar little thing, for sure.

Andrade having an increasingly growing number of busty Latinas fawning over him at ring side each week is a hilarious bit. 

Toni and OC are great together. Pure joy with these two.

I'm generally not loving the overall direction of the company at all but the shows still have plenty to enjoy on a surface level. I think watching some ("subjecting myself to" might be a better way of putting it) WWE this weekend perhaps made me more forgiving of this weeks Dynamite that I usually would. It was a breath of fresh air after that absolute dog shit.

Edited by LaGoosh
  • Paid Members
Posted
41 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm generally not loving the overall direction of the company at all but the shows still have plenty to enjoy on a surface level. I think watching some ("subjecting myself to" might be a better way of putting it) WWE this weekend perhaps made me more forgiving of this weeks Dynamite that I usually would. It was a breath of fresh air after that absolute dog shit.

I actually enjoyed Raw quite a bit this week, but I also really enjoyed Dynamite. Like you, I’m not thrilled about the overall direction of AEW. It’s a very weird situation in which there’s always something going on enjoy on a show, but they’re fumbling a bit with the long term and most of their big stories. 

43 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I don't really know what you do with Darby Allin. The guy has wrestled everyone to the point now that they just seem to be keeping his Deathriders/Gabe Kidd feud going forever because there's pretty much nothing left to do with him. They really need to consider turning him heel this year - it'll open up things for him massively.

Gabe Kidd is so awful and his stuff this week was dreadful.

 

As you probably know, I really like Gabe Kidd and we’re poles apart with out opinion on him. I do agree that the stuff with Darby was rubbish, though. It feels like we’ve seen versions of the body bag stuff with Darby hundreds of times now, and he’s at his best when he tones some of his stunts down and plays a more grounded version of his character. It’s all very Jackass, very samey and also very dumb. He was at his best when he was paired with Sting. Maybe he needs another wrestling legend by his side to iron out the worst of what he does. Someone with style(s), perhaps? 

54 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Andrade having an increasingly growing number of busty Latinas fawning over him at ring side each week is a hilarious bit. 

I’ve said it already, but he feels like a big star - far more than he did during his previous stint in the company or in WWE. He’s really sharpened up his presentation, and I thought the match with Omega was great. 

Brody King/MJF was a bit badly booked. I hate distraction finishes, and I’d have much preferred to see King plough through MJF cleanly, with none of that nonsense. Actually, having him win the title in that way would have created the kind of buzz AEW would benefit from right now. I’d love to see them do something unexpected like that rather than rigidly follow whatever plan they have. MJF as champion isn’t working at the moment so there’s value in a change of direction, I think.

I can’t wait for Hair vs Hair - I think Marina will be getting shaved, but it could be any of them really. I could also see Mina turning on Orange causing him to lose, but Toni taking his place and getting her head shaved. 

We spend a lot of time talking about mistakes made with the men’s world title, but honestly, I think perception of the current direction would change significantly if they changed direction for a bit and made Toni Storm and the rest of the women’s division the focal point of the show for a while, letting the men play second fiddle for a while. Although Statlander is a weak champion, I think focusing on the women for a bit would lead to a real upswing in story quality.

Posted

Gabe Kidd just isnt for me, his wide eyed psychotic act this week was an utterly atrocious piece of tele far worse than anything on the Rumble (imo) :D

I actually think a less is more approach with Gabe would work, as he has the look of the sort of character hes trying to convey, hes just cringey as it gets when he does it. Drop the silly breathing and weird cadence when he speaks, and it may be conveyed a bit better.

Posted

Think I've mentioned this before, but from Twitter, it seems like Americans are really into the Gabe Kidd character, whereas the British aren't, and I think it comes from a lot of us knowing someone like Gabe Kidd and finding them to be really annoying

Posted

Most British wrestlers that go for a BRIT character in the US tend to be loathed by us because it feels like a drama soap actor version and as @abucalvessaid, we usually know them IRL and rather than wanting to watch them wrestle, we'd prefer they just fucked off. It's impressive Ospreay managed to buck the trend a bit.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Ospreay went the brilliant route of just deciding to be a normal person rather than the usual Am Dram cliche shite unconvincing character most British wrestlers do. It's a huge breath of fresh air.

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

 

Sad to say the recent stuff has soured me on Hangman. His title reign was bad enough but I've lost all interest in him. Sad because he was my absolute fave six months ago. 

No matter how bad AEW got I always came back because of Hangman, but after that photo... I just find it depressing. I couldn't even be bothered with Collision at the weekend. And this week I just didn't care about the match. Amazing how he went from making any match interesting to me to being a dead spot.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...